Buying a new build. Words of wisdom

MsCutha

We're in the process of signing the contract with solicitor for a new build. Everything looks ok and solicitor is taking care of the usual parts. As we are complete novices in this area any words of wisdom will be appreciated. We are buying in Cork. Thanks

I presume you have an engineer to do the "snag list" for the builder. Go though it and make sure you're satisfied and understand it.
My advice is - make sure the big stuff (if any) gets done by the builder, but don't sweat the small stuff. The snag list will contain everything, so that the engineer covers him/herself, but don't hold up everything because of a skirting board that needs to be fixed.
Also, when you say new build, is it off plans (don't know if they still do this), or is the house build/finished?
And whereabouts in Cork - someone might have specific knowledge on the estate/area.

Thanks for your reply Buddyboy. We will get an engineer for the snag list but looking around for recommendations. The majority of the house have been built but it still needs plastering, painting etc. The house was partly built and we got given plans so I guess we are technically buying off plans (yes they still sell off plan). We are buying in Lehenaghmore behind the airport estate is called Manor Farm.

Among other things, think about sockets - are there enough in each room and also the hall and landing?

Do you need an outside tap? What about building rubble. Will it be cleared. I spent years unearthing huge bricks and blocks from front and back gardens.

Are the radiators positioned where you want them?

Visit the site often and take photos. Note down anything you can think of while you are there.

It says that the front and rear gardens will be left free of rubble, so I'm assuming they will be cleared.
With regards sockets the contract states 'double sockets, TV and phone point as required by layout'.
I didn't think about the outside tap and didn't think you can request position of the radiators.

Thanks. What is the idea with positioning the radiators? I guess we need to find out where they will be located first. They are on the first and second floor, none on the ground floor.

Can't grasp what you mean by the solicitor is taking care of the usual things in you buying a new build when in fact it's not a new build. Do you mean the solicitor is just taking care of the sale of the unfinished building between you and the seller? If so, i'd strongly advise you to get a builder to finish off everything for you as you say you're a novice. Make sure you have the plans as per spec for planning permission, these will need to be complied with and a good builder will see you safely through the process. You can always get different trades to finish but I doubt you'll have the nescessary skills to do this. My recommendations would be,
1. Get the plans.
2. Engage a good builder and listen to him/her.
3. Employ an engineer to carry out compliance and make sure you'll be given cert of compliance, etc, when build is finished. (Very, very, Important)
4. Don't fall out with your builder.
5. Don't be short of money if you have people employed to finish this off.

Then again you can always do things yourself, if so, forget all the above until you finish the job. Afterwards you can post here and say why didn't I listen to what "No Problem" told me. Good luck.:)

Thanks. What is the idea with positioning the radiators? I guess we need to find out where they will be located first. They are on the first and second floor, none on the ground floor.

Sometimes radiators can be in the way of where you want to place furniture. This is not ideal from two aspects - furniture will stop heat getting into room as quickly, and your furniture may be pushed further into the room rather than up against the wall. You can get radiators in all different shapes these days - e.g. vertical ones that are tall and not wide.

Sockets. If you have a plans of the house, look at the layout of the furniture and see if sockets are in the correct location, often they are not. Key areas would be bedrooms, ensuring the sockets either side of the bed are actually either side of the bed for the position you want the bed in!

Some other random things:
* Wire for an outdoor sensor light back and front. Handy to have for security reasons. All this type of electrical work is much easier to do when building, before plastering is complete.
* Outdoor socket? Handy to have for working in the garden.
* Power for garden lights? You might not want right now, but it's cheap and easy to bring power to a junction box for later use.
* Electric car charge point? It's the future. At least get a wire put in for it going to a junction box. It'll cost next to nothing to do it now and can be connected up easily later.
* Run CAT5 internet cabling throughout house?
* Light in the attic?

"Run CAT5 internet cabling throughout house?"

Everything else makes sense, but this? Seriously?

In fairness a wired connection will always be better than a wireless one, off the top of my head the Sky box, PS4, 2 smart Tv's and a laptop are networked in my house.

It says that the front and rear gardens will be left free of rubble, so I'm assuming they will be cleared.
With regards sockets the contract states 'double sockets, TV and phone point as required by layout'.
I didn't think about the outside tap and didn't think you can request position of the radiators.

My experience is not to assume anything. That is the reason I advised that you should visit the site as often as you can. Your scrutiny might also encourage better workmanship.

Changes and extras are easier and less expensive when the house is under construction rather than trying to deal with them later on.

@metricspaces has explained about positioning of radiators and also has made excellent other points.

In this day and age you can never have enough sockets - number of TVs, appliances, broadband modems, PC/Laptops, printers, lamps, etc. Think about what you have now & what you would like to have in each room and note it down.

Also think about room design. Wall presses or wardrobes that don't go up to the ceiling cannot accommodate tall objects and the space between the top of the press and the ceiling is a dust and/or grease collector, difficult to clean, paint or wallpaper.

Where will you put pots, pans, food processors, juicers, etc., in addition to crockery & cutlery. Perhaps floor to ceiling units may be preferable.

Find out what precisely what comes with the builders package regarding tiling, painting, fitted kitchens, white goods, if any, bathroom suites, wardrobes. Don't assume anything.

At the snagging stage, you won't notice everything at once and so give yourself plenty of time in each room in the house and also the garden before compiling the list. Look at everything from the roof down & ensure that your surveyor does the same.

Last edited:
I would 100% get some CAT5 run to a few rooms, as others have said above certain devices will not support WiFi and must be plugged in and having to have them all beside the modem isn't always ideal. But it's also worth having CAT5 to upstairs so you can plug a wifi access point in there. Better yet ask them to leave a CAT5 hanging down from the ceiling in roughly the center of the house, one on each floor, then you can stick two of these in https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1534838041&sr=1-1&keywords=unifi. CAT5 should all be run back to a central point, the attic is generally handy, with at least one down to wherever the modem will be. One should also be run to the back of the TV wherever that is, streaming 4K over WiFi can be patchy so plugged in is much more reliable.

Worth taking a look at the heating controls and consider if you'd like to install something like a Nest in future to allow you control the heating/hot-water from your phone, a cable to wherever you will put it may be required.

I would also ask them to put in a cable for at least one car charging port near to wherever you park. This is fairly standard these days, but worth checking as adding it afterwards can be messy. Electrician can spec it, but you're looking for something like 10sqmm cable.

Outdoor socket out the back. Also I'd assume a light will be put on the back of the house with a switch just inside the back door, you could have them run a cable from the garden to this switch to allow you put lights in the garden at some point.

Don't assume anything. Visiting regularly means better workmanship. You'd be amazed the the corners they will cut.

I've seen new houses with windows that were permanently dark, chimney breast in main bedroom where the bed was supposed to go, rooms so tight you could not open the wardrobe, stairs that defy gravity and are impossible to get furniture up, windows not fitted properly, ditto doors and architraves, radiators in the worst position in a room, bathroom downstairs large enough door for a wheel chair but the hall with a radiator impossible for a wheelchair to pass. No utility room meaning the washing machine has to go in the kitchen. Cheap fitted wardrobes. Not enough worksurface in a kitchen, a common mistake. Badly laid out kitchen.

Agree that many sockets are important, as are a back door and front door light and I also have an outside socket, not sure if that's allowed in Ireland. Great for the hedge trimmer. Also have an outdoor tap. Make sure you have enough parking space, I've seen many estates where the cars are on the footpaths, grass, wrong place and everybody fighting over it.

Green area for kids is important. Trees also important.

Light and aspect also to think about.

The house was partly built and we got given plans so I guess we are technically buying off plans (yes they still sell off plan). We are buying in Lehenaghmore behind the airport estate is called Manor Farm.

As noted by noproblem, it doesn't sound like this is a standard new build / buying off the plans scenario where the OP will have any opportunity to request changes or extras.

MsCutha, perhaps you'd clarify. Buying a partially finished house that you will then need to complete yourself is a very different prospect to buying a new build off plans.

Thanks for the replies. Apologies if my wording is ambiguous, it is all very new to me.
The house is still being built by the builder/contractor. When we went to view the house it had already been built but was (and is still) a building site, building up, roof done, windows etc but no plastering or wiring.
We were given the plans for the house and we are paying for the fit out with the exception of appliances. House is expected to be completed by builder in November to be handed over the second week in Dec (I need to confirm). We are getting contract signed tomorrow which was why I posted looking for any words of wisdom. I think we left it too late as any changes will need to be included in the contract. I will ask the solicitor if it is possible to include it. Hope this makes more sense.

I think we left it too late as any changes will need to be included in the contract.

For many types of changes it is never really too late, it is just a question of cost and whether the builder will do the changes. It is your house and you are spending a large amount of money on it, so if you really want something you should push strong to get it. It will be cheaper\easier to get it done whilst building the house rather than doing it later.

As the house is not plastered or wired there is still scope for lots of changes to be made.

For some changes there is really no cost to them so you would just be asking the builder e.g. put the socket in this position.

The agreed contract price is not always the final price paid. Say you agreed 200k. Then along the build agreed changes for 10k, they can be added in before closing on the contract and paying over the final amount. So signing a contract does not mean you cannot make changes to the house.

Back