Buying a new build. Words of wisdom

Thanks for the replies. Apologies if my wording is ambiguous, it is all very new to me.
The house is still being built by the builder/contractor. When we went to view the house it had already been built but was (and is still) a building site, building up, roof done, windows etc but no plastering or wiring.
We were given the plans for the house and we are paying for the fit out with the exception of appliances. House is expected to be completed by builder in November to be handed over the second week in Dec (I need to confirm). We are getting contract signed tomorrow which was why I posted looking for any words of wisdom. I think we left it too late as any changes will need to be included in the contract. I will ask the solicitor if it is possible to include it. Hope this makes more sense.

This is a completely different scenario than what you outlined in your original question. Amazing how some people today will use their so called "novice" position to garner a response and, then give an exact explanation in relation to their position.
In any case, have a very good chat with the builder in relation to what it is you actually want, listen to what he says, what the extra charges might be and if they will cause any problems in relation to the planning permission that was given. Do not forget the Cert of Compliance from engineer.

This is a completely different scenario than what you outlined in your original question. Amazing how some people today will use their so called "novice" position to garner a response and, then give an exact explanation in relation to their position.

Thanks for your reply. If this is different to what I posted initially I have already apologised. I am unsure of what you mean by using my 'novice position' to garner a response. I was looking for ideas from people that have done this and I asked. I gave an 'exact explanation' because from the replies I got I went back and looked at the contract again and clarified my original post. I am baffled as to what you think my intentions are/were.

Among other things, think about sockets - are there enough in each room and also the hall and landing?

Do you need an outside tap? What about building rubble. Will it be cleared. I spent years unearthing huge bricks and blocks from front and back gardens.

Are the radiators positioned where you want them?

Visit the site often and take photos. Note down anything you can think of while you are there.
Thank you. Visited site today and plenty of sockets, got the husband to check them out.

Don't assume anything. Visiting regularly means better workmanship. You'd be amazed the the corners they will cut.

I've seen new houses with windows that were permanently dark, chimney breast in main bedroom where the bed was supposed to go, rooms so tight you could not open the wardrobe, stairs that defy gravity and are impossible to get furniture up, windows not fitted properly, ditto doors and architraves, radiators in the worst position in a room, bathroom downstairs large enough door for a wheel chair but the hall with a radiator impossible for a wheelchair to pass. No utility room meaning the washing machine has to go in the kitchen. Cheap fitted wardrobes. Not enough worksurface in a kitchen, a common mistake. Badly laid out kitchen.

Agree that many sockets are important, as are a back door and front door light and I also have an outside socket, not sure if that's allowed in Ireland. Great for the hedge trimmer. Also have an outdoor tap. Make sure you have enough parking space, I've seen many estates where the cars are on the footpaths, grass, wrong place and everybody fighting over it.

Green area for kids is important. Trees also important.

Light and aspect also to think about.

We are currently discussing that with the builder. I saw straightaway from the layout there won't be enough work surface.

Back