BT Broadband

Gordanus

I ordered broadband from BT about a month ago. they told me it would take about 2 weeks. Well, 4 weeks later and no replies to my emails..... Anyone else have problems with them? Should I keep pursuing it or give up and go with a different company? (am in central Dublin)

If you try anything its most likely that one day yiou will still end up with a router at your door from BT. Even if you go with another company and cancel with BT. They dont take cancellations apparently. They have a shabby service in this repsect. Their broadband is fine though.

their broadband is fine. their help desk is excellent. they post out the modem and instructions. if it doesent work you just ring their help desk and they talk you through it. billiing is something else however.

Give them a call, I agree their billing is very messy but you can always get it sorted out, but once you have someone on the phone they'll help you out. Seeing as Smart are going through a bit of a disaster zone, it's probably the best option at the mo.

Give them a call, I agree their billing is very messy but you can always get it sorted out, but once you have someone on the phone they'll help you out. Seeing as Smart are going through a bit of a disaster zone, it's probably the best option at the mo.

What's happening with Smart - I read recently that they were reducing the number of door to door salesstaff, I hoped this might be followed by all other Telecos. Is is service or financial difficulties that are problems for Smart?

Very relevant Clubman. Having read last week's Sunday Times, I was shocked at the many millions of euro they have spent on advertising for the relatively small amount of customers they attracted. I was also shocked by the way they very recently sacked loads of the sales managers they originally poached from eircom with only 6 weeks salary compensation. Whether I'd sign up with them is one thing but I definitely wouldn't invest in them unless for some wierd reaon they manage to keep their 3G licence in the upcoming court case.

also from today's Irish Independent

Top Telecom firm runs out of cash.

SHARES in Smart Telecom slumped yesterday after its chief executive stepped down and stockbrokers were called in to review the company's operations.
Some €50m was wiped off the value of the stock after chief operating officer Ciaran Casey confirmed that chief executive Oisin Fanning had quit.
Answering shareholder questions, Mr Casey said the company had run out of cash and was currently depending on large shareholders to write cheques on a week-to-week basis.

I wonder if they'll change their name to 'Dumb'...? ;)

Speaking of BT, I recently — after just over a year trying! — got them to sort out my billing mess. At least I'd kept things so that I owed them money and not the reverse... :)

been with bt broadband for 6 months now.no problems (so far). broadband is good as well. i was up and running in no time

I ordered broadband from BT about a month ago. they told me it would take about 2 weeks. Well, 4 weeks later and no replies to my emails..... Anyone else have problems with them? Should I keep pursuing it or give up and go with a different company? (am in central Dublin)

I am with BT. They are very good. Why don't you just ring them on 1800 923 924. They will sort you out.

yipeekiaye: my bt bill is actually correct this time. first time in probably ever. they have applied a discount as promised in their last email to me. (due for on line billing since dec ) €54 per month plus €47 for mobiles less the discount and bill for two months for everything is just over €110
at last!!!!!

Going to go for esat broadband and total talk for 54E per month. Are esats mobile rates less than eircoms?

cuchulainn said:
they have applied a discount as promised in their last email to me. (due for on line billing since dec )

Theres a discount for online billing? What percentage is it?

It's not a percentage, it's €5 off each two-monthly bill (i.e. €30 over a year).

munsterman25, yes, AFAIK they are a bit cheaper — marginally moreso if you're on Talk Plus (now called Total Talk). However, their website seems to be down at the moment, so I can't post a link... :rolleyes:

bear in mind folks my experience with BT so is not good. I am having trouble getting my p/w from them to set up the damn thing. I am waiting over an hour ringing 1890 923 111. Can't even get them to email me the damn thing to the email that I registered with them through there accounts free number (or there website), that you get through a whole lot quicker. I think something definitely went wrong with my registration. just a thought for yous. anyone else bad experiences...

I had to reregister TWICE before they picked up the full order. supplied bb straight away but not line rental or talk plus ( or whatever its now called)
try 01 432 7158- Sharon Norton,thats who finally got me sorted.

If I go with BT the router they supply is not wirelss enabled is that right??

If I want to go wireless with their service is it just a case of me buying a wireless router myself??

For an additional 40 euro, they can provide a zyxel prestige 660HW-61 wireless router which should be alright for a basic setup - but if you want to do anything out of the ordinary in terms of networking, then I dont think these are great quality and zyxel support is rubbish in comparison with the likes of linksys.

Back