Brown bin - maggots

phoenix

We are not due a brown bin collection until Friday next and our brown bin is crawling with maggots.

Anything we can do to get rid of them?

Yuck, even the thought of them has me squeamish!:(

Buy a bottle of Lice Shampoo and make up a strong mix of it and water and spray it all around the maggots and bin.

That will sort them out.

If you can't get lice shampoo, try Dog Shampoo

or

Try spraying them with 'Pledge'....

J

Thanks Jildy.

Would I get the lice shampoo in a chemist or being petless where would I pick up dog shampoo?

Thank you.

P

Try Jeyes Fluid (dilute with water). Should work out as better value than the other suggestions and is good for disinfecting drains and the likes.

Yes,

Lice shampoo or dog shampoo in chemist.

Pledge in most grocery shops/newsagents..

J

I've gone back to putting all food waste into the black bin in sealed bags following a similar episode 3 weeks ago .I think the brown bins are a health hazard in this weather.

We don't have a brown bin but the parents do and they use the bio-degradable plastic bags, especially in warm weather.

We've started putting our food waste into paper bags then putting them in the brown bin - it says you can do that on the leaflet. Still pretty manky but it's the best we can do.

M

just get the biodegradable plastic bags - there are ones available which degrade in landfill conditions in 30 days - we use them and have no issues and our bins are collected every 3 weeks on average. We don't have the bin stored in direct sunlight however.

Gather them up, find a good river, keep peggin them in to one spot over a week or so. Return later with fishing rod and reap rewards, turn last weeks dinner in to this weeks dinner!!

You know all those useless newspapers that come through the door. Put them to good use. I put a good size lunch box on my sink with a few layers of kitchen towel in base. Everything food waste goes into it. When it is full use 3 or 4 pages of newspaper and roll the food into it good and tight. Then wrap another page around the other way tight. No problem putting into the brown bin this way. Stops flies getting at it if you use the lunch box size each time.

Hope this Helps

Blake

I find the maggots are great for cleaning the bins so I would see no reason to destroy them.

Unless you all live in Apartments, no one has suggested RECYCLING.

With the tinest of garden, your Yearly waste will reduce to 1 Binbag size of compost. Ive a family of 5 and all our non meat waste is composted. Even in this weather, theres no smell. Flies yes but something has to be at work reducing!
Its the most natural thing in the world. You keep filling the bin and it keeps disappearing until the Autumn Im left with a barrow- load to throw onto the veggy patch. A compost bin, BTW is open to the ground at the bottom, sitting directly on the soil to let worms etc work their merry way up through the waste. Theres is never a smell, rodents etc. Its meat/bones etc that brings that which are not compostable

Obviously, Id put the compost Bin down the garden. Its a very satisfying feeling in the Autumn!

Gather them up, find a good river, keep peggin them in to one spot over a week or so. Return later with fishing rod and reap rewards, turn last weeks dinner in to this weeks dinner!!

Was gonna suggest the same.

There's been manys a good days fishing had with fresh maggots.

The material in brown bins is supposed to go for composting. It does not seem right to me to add chemicals to it.

It is not advisable to put any kind of cooked food in the compost bin as this may attract rodents. One thing I find useful if there isnt too much leftover is to put it in an old tupperware box and freeze it until bin collection day then put it in the bin. Also, pets are great for hoovering up leftovers. Good luck with the problem.

Just a note to say thanks to all for the varied replies. Haven't had a chance to reply before now. We went for the boiling water and it seemed to do the trick. Bin collected yesterday so all is well...............until the next time!!

Phoenix

Back