Broomhall Developments - Rathnew, Co.Wicklow..?

I agree with Monkeyboy, but my second hand knowledge is a little out of date. My brother lived in an older estate in Rathnew for a couple of years up to 2001, and it was a real kip! The pubs were rough, and the town was full of in-breeding and family history. The new estates are likely to be occupied by 'blow ins' so that may change/improve the face of the village. Visually, as I drive through the place regularly, it is really unattractive - dinghy looking take-aways and run down pubs. On a more positive note Wicklow Town has improved in the last number of years, and maybe Rathnew will follow suit.

MAG. I looked at the oaks too. they looked nice. How muck=h were they?

Rick...the 3 bed semis were 355K & 370k (one was 943sqft,other was 1076sqft). The 4 bed semis were 440k. I cannot remember the prices of the 2 & 3 bed terraced houses but I think it was 357k or so for the 3 bed end of terrace. As for the 2 beds not a clue, all sold out though!!!.
Askar....I actually think you are really exagerating about Rathnew, it's bloddy tiny and VISUALLY it does not look that bad, all you pass by is 2 pubs, a take away & a petrol station for gods sake. I don't take any notice of it and I doubt many passers by do. You really have a problem with it don't you..LOL!!!!!!!!!!. Oh yep we're going to be "blow ins" and I do actually feel the influx of new young families into the new developments can only be good for the area, while queing for our house we met our potential neighbours and they were all lovely. Apparantly there is a shopping centre & cinema complex being built between Rathnew & Wicklow town and it's starting to be built pretty soon, pretty upmarket to!!. I'm looking forward to seeing what is going up there anyway!!. (M&S...PLEASE!!LOL)

Has anyone any idea when the New Saunders Lane Developments are to be finished?

hi, i bought down in saunders lane over a year ago - weve been told now that our part of the estate wont be released until august! have you bought there and have you been told anything different! ??

Its great hearing everyone opinion on rathnew! but we visit that area quite abit to see how the development is going, and to be honest is seems fine! I think the whole area will be buzzing when all the amentities go in! Ive heard of so many things going in, in the friars hill area!

Every area has its bad side thats my view! I cant wait now just would love to know when its gonna be!

Hi, I just found this form. I have bought in this development I am at the front facing the football field. I have been told it will be ready in 5 months. We have just got a call from Tiles Direct looking for payment they told us tiles will be going down this week so it looks like it is full steam ahead. We have been down looking around too, must say the development looks good.

ive also bought in saunders lane and am in the first 55 houses due to be finished,we've been told we'll be in within the next 4 weeks.
i know someone else in the first lot to be finished and they have already been called to do their snaglist.So it looks like there are no delays,unless ESB delay things like they did for Wilton Manor.

Hi, I just found this form. I have bought in this development I am at the front facing the football field. I have been told it will be ready in 5 months. We have just got a call from Tiles Direct looking for payment they told us tiles will be going down this week so it looks like it is full steam ahead. We have been down looking around too, must say the development looks good.

hi craig! Thats gas we are facing the football field aswel and have been told our tiles are going down this week also. We were down at the weekend and theyve locked the house now so we cant get in anymore! Just wondering have you got extras done from the electricians and if so have they looked for payment off you yet? so have you been told july then,we were told that but i heard at the weekend its gonna be august!

Sara25 we got a few downlighters put in, they sent us an invoice but have not come looking for money yet. Its a pity they have locked those doors.

Hi everyone, I had to stand up for Rathnew here! I lived in Rathnew all my life and I have to say from my own personal experience that it is a lovely place to live. Most people are very friendly and the schools are good and there is also a third year college now in place of the old clermont secondary boarding school. Yes there are some dodgy places as in any small town or village but all in all its not a bad place to live. The oaks is a lovely developement I have relatives living there and also relatives living in Broomhall ( also very nice place ) My parents now live in Burkeen and to be honest the people are lovely but the houses are tiny and it seems very built up every window you look out is just the view of a neighbouring house. Saunders lane and wilton manor seem like a lovely estate also.
Plenty of WICKLOW TOWN people live out in Rathnew also!!
so please dont just judge a book by its cover, you cant believe some person who is so narrow minded to think that all Rathnew people do is take drugs and that we are inbred.......this is probably some guy from GAA that has his back up over the football. Yes wicklow and Rathnew have a lot of rivalry that goes back years so that is probably why people on this forum are running Rathnew down.
Im not saying that where I am from is perfect but Wicklow is far from perfect either!!
Oh yeah and for the record its not just one pub and a chipper there is also three shops, an art gallery, 2x hairdressers, chinese takeaway, indian restaurant, beauty salon, indian takeaway, wimpy, chipper, clothes shops, laundrettes, garage, market, petrol station, three pubs, industrial estate, college, business Park and we are just a small village remember blink and you miss it, Wicklow on the other hand is a TOWN and every second shop in wicklow is vacant because nobody shops there mmmmmmmm..........sorry to rant on but yes it does annoy me

Well said Nice Girl..excellent username by the way and never mind the begrudgers or wannabe snobs...they probably can't afford a house in Rathnew anyway!. It never was an issue to me buying our house anway. Nowhere in this little island is perfect, it's down to ignorance with most people who call anywhere a kip anyway. Just laugh at them, that's what I do when I see silly comments.
I shop in Dundrum or Cornelscourt still regardless so the shops in Wicklow and Rathnew have no bearing on me whatsoever apart from the odd paper or litre of milk!.

Oh was meant to say did you see the chancers selling Burkeen have 4 or 5 3 bed semi's left and they are looking for €429k (were originally €320k) for them...nearly chocked on my cuppa!. They are tiny inside and would not be as nicely designed as the other 2 estates up there.
With they way things are they will be waiting to sell them on and good enough for them...what a disgrace!

Heard there were people doing their snagging there at the weekend. Has anyone completed their snaglist yet and was there much on it.

Heard there were people doing their snagging there at the weekend. Has anyone completed their snaglist yet and was there much on it.

Hi I just found this site, I have bought in Saunders Lane and snagged there the last weekend in March. We got somebody in to snag it, he said the house was in grand condition and just the normal things found that you would find on any house. He had snagged a few houses in the estate and said they were all generally finished well. No major problems at all, just touch ups on certain things.

We did notice though they do not have any plumbing for the American Style Fridge, even though they have made a space for it. When you buy your fridge if you pick one with Ice Maker etc it won't work unless its plumbed so that was really the only bad thing. Not sure if they are going to fix it for us but we put it down anyway.

We hope to be in by end of this month all going to plan. We were first told December so nearly there now.

M2007 we are due to snag in the next 2 weeks.......let us know how they do or dont do on the snags!

Will do CarrieB, we should probably be re-snagging the weekend after next, fingers crossed anyway.

Another thing we put down on the snag was that up in the attic we were told it would be partially floored but it wasn't - now not 100% who told us that, think it was estate agent but sure we will wait and see what builders do.

Hi M2007,

Just reading your post there re snagging. I am currently living in Wilton Manor. I too got an American fridge but it wasn't plumbed. YOu have to pay extra to the plumber to do it (€90) but if you knew anyone half handy they

Hi M2007,
Just reading your post there. I am currently living in Wilton Manor and had to pay extra (€90) to get the plumbing done for the American fridge. Also the attic wasn't floored but they completed it when I put it on the snagging. Watch out for scratches on your windows as ours were badly damaged. As long as it on your snagging Muster Joinery will call around and let you put forward your case. Other than that we had no major problems bar Eircom who we are still waiting on 6 months later to hook up the phones!

Hi CarrieB

I also should be snaging this weekend but just found out that there is a shortage of ESB meters so the date I was given might be changed . Is this the same reason why Wilton Manor was
delayed ?

Wilton Manor was delayed also due to the ESB but was told that it was a generator issue rather than meters

Cheers Wilton,

Yeah we have sorted out the plumbing, we have actually paid the plumber on site to do it so thats sorted now. Hopefully they sort out the attic flooring aswell but once its on the snag they should fix everything up.

I'll check out the windows next time i am out this weekend, thanks for the heads up !

Back