Broomhall Developments - Rathnew, Co.Wicklow..?

C

cabinteely_D

Any one has idea about the Broomhall Develpments Rathnew, Co.Wicklow..?

How is the place generally?

Thanks.

Re: Broomhall Developments - Wicklow

According to this [broken link removed], it's sold out already - although that could just be one phase - they have planning for 211 houses - quite a large estate in Wicklow terms.

Rathnew wouldn't be first on my list of 'places I would like to live', but I suppose it's up to the individual.

If you do choose Rathnew, visit it a number of times before you make your decision, particularly at night, and ask local people in nearby Wicklow Town what their opinion is.

Another good source of information is the local paper Wicklow People - you can buy it in Bray, assuming you're in Dublin and you dont want to come this far south.

delgirl said:
.....and ask local people in nearby Wicklow Town what their opinion is......
Would it not be better to ask local people in Rathnew???

Delgirl, Thanks for the details.. Couple of the Broomhall properties already for second hand sale. (Other phases may also be released soon.). I didn't catch quite well about your mentioning of visit in night times...

Kramer, that's what I am trying to do here if lucky enough to get any Rathnew people in this forum.

cabinteely_D said:
Delgirl, Thanks for the details.. Couple of the Broomhall properties already for second hand sale. (Other phases may also be released soon.). I didn't catch quite well about your mentioning of visit in night times...
It's vital, IMHO, to visit the site of potentially 'your largest ever investment' at various times of the night and day to see what's happening in the area.

I don't really want to put you off, but as I said Rathnew wouldn't be my choice of a place to live - it's known for drug problems and anti-social behaviour - this is why I would advise that you visit at night, preferably at the weekend.

That said, if the development is some distance from the village, you may not be within range of any worrying behaviour.

Perhaps someone from Rathnew would like to comment - I don't actually live there - I live in Wicklow Town - so I can only tell you what I've heard.

delgirl said:
.......as I said Rathnew wouldn't be my choice of a place to live - it's known for drug problems and anti-social behaviour - this is why I would advise that you visit at night, preferably at the weekend.
I would certainly agree with Delgirl about visiting any potential purchase destination at all times of the day & night to get an impression of the area, but to suggest that it is known for drug problems and anti-social behaviour would be fairly wide of the mark.
Like almost every place in Ireland there is a pocket of it that you probably wouldn't want to buy/live in but it would certainly not be any worse than an equivalent estate in Wicklow Town.
I am born and bred in the Wicklow area (currently living in Wicklow Town)

Kramer said:
but to suggest that it is known for drug problems and anti-social behaviour would be fairly wide of the mark.
Like almost every place in Ireland there is a pocket of it that you probably wouldn't want to buy/live in but it would certainly not be any worse than an equivalent estate in Wicklow Town.
Yes, there are undesirable 'pockets' in Wicklow town, but with it being a town, population ca. 12,000, it's easy not to buy/live in or near those areas. In a small village like Rathnew, with a population of only ca. 1,600, any such 'pocket' may have a negative impact on surrounding developments.

It's up to the OP to do his/her research and to decide what criteria will govern his/her decision. I still wouldn't want to live there, but that's my personal choice.

delgirl said:
Yes, there are undesirable 'pockets' in Wicklow town, but with it being a town, population ca. 12,000, it's easy not to buy/live in or near those areas. In a small village like Rathnew, with a population of only ca. 1,600, any such 'pocket' may have a negative impact on surrounding developments.
Fair point

Thanks to both.. And I agree, have to visit the place many times before make any decision..
Actually I had been there once and it is completely away from Rathnew and near to Keatingstown/burkeen developments of Wicklow. (Friarshill Road).
Since you 2 are living in Wicklow for a long time, Can I ask what would be reasonable price for the 3 bed semi-detatched house in that area..?

Thanks.

A reasonable price??? No such thing in Wicklow.....
We looked at a 3 bed end of terrace townhouse that had a guide price of €315k I think it sold for about €330k. Less than a week later another property in the same development came on the the market with a guide of €340k there was virtually no difference between the 2 properties.

There are 2 estate agents in the town which seem to have the majority of the market
www.wicklowproperty.com
[broken link removed]

I have had dealings with both firms and would be unlikely to deal with the first company unless they had a property that I really really wanted.
(BTW I have no affiliation with either)
Some of the older estates in the town probably offer the best value.

Thanks for the details. What you have said about the way the auctioneers raise the property price is absolutely true.

Best of luck with your search, it's a great place to live so feel free to ask any further questions.
Back to the OP, Broomhall developments are supposed to be pretty good from what I've heard but be wary that virtually every bit of green space on the back road between Wicklow & Rathnew will end up in housing estates. I'm not sure what facilities will be going in with them. There was talk previously about a business park in the area but I'm not sure what the status of that is.

Yes, I agree with Kramer, it's a great place to live.

I've also heard about the business park and there's definitely a large secondary school going up in that area - the De La Salle and Abbey Community College are going to http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPub.nsf/0/e73d7f4a525dcd298025708b0043165b?OpenDocument (amalgamate)and move to this new school. You may want to check the exact location of the school - there will be approx. 1,000 pupils attending.

Existing developments on that road, such as Keatingstown and Pebble Bay are really nice and it appears to be a good area.

Also wish you luck with your search!:)

Thanks for both.. Hope to find something soon before the price boom take away to my reach.

have a nice weekend.

having grown up in wicklow I would not go near Rathnew. In fact when I visit I drive past the Rathnew exit and go in to Wicklow via the next!
Seriosuly though it is a bit of a dive and my Da says no non local would drink in the bars iis a bit dodge in "the Village"

monkeyboy said:
having grown up in wicklow I would not go near Rathnew. In fact when I visit I drive past the Rathnew exit and go in to Wicklow via the next!
Seriosuly though it is a bit of a dive and my Da says no non local would drink in the bars iis a bit dodge in "the Village"

Monkeyboy,
I strongly disagree with your comments. I moved up to broomhall 2 years ago and have never had a moments bother with any of the locals. I have found them to be more welcoming and helpful than any of the wicklow crowd. I also frequently drink in the vilage pubs and have never seen any trouble. I stongly doubt you go to such extents to avoid Rathnew. Hope you like the user name! :)

Up the village.......!

Its a Shelbyville versus Springfield thing....engrained since school.
Glad your enjoying it!
Gotta go to Wicklow to do everything bar a pint and Bag of chips though.
But to be fair there is a Wimpy AND a chippers.

Has anyone any idea when the New Saunders Lane Developments are to be finished?

I have purchased a property in The Oaks development and moving in October and cannot wait!. Personally, The Friars Hill area is fine, nice new area for young families & couples and the houses are lovely. As for Rathnew, sure I think the negative posters are going a bit overboard, sure it's tiny & if you blink you miss it. I've heard stories about the place but sure there are "undesirables" & dodgy pubs in every area for gods sake. Anyway, to put everyones mind at rest hubbie & I took turns queing overnight for our house & never any hassle at all!!. A friend of mine bought in the first phase and loves it. So go for it!!. BTW, Saunders Lane is sold out, think everything is now barr the new 4 beds in Burkeen I think!!. The Oaks is sold out from launch day, oh I can't wait to move now!!. Good luck all!!

Back