Bought ipod from Xtravision: BF wont use it: cant get refund only credit note

pussycat

Hi

I bought an ipod for the boyfriend for xmas but he said he wont use it. I bought it in xtra vision and i brought it back unopened the next day with the receipt the guy that worked there said i cannot get a refund its company policy i can only get a credit note or exchange. Can they do this. Am i entitled to a refund???

Re: Bought ipod cant get refund

Unfortunately, you are not entitled to return it.

Marion

You're not entitled to a refund unless it was faulty.

Some shops will give money back regardless of the issue but I think with xtravision it can be hit and miss. I got a present of a mobile phone 2 christmas' ago and I didn't like it and I got my money back. I think the assistant I approached was a little 'green' for want of a better word and I more or less intimidated him into returning the money but there is definately a policy of not returning things just because you don't like it.

However, you could always drop the iPod and say it dosen't work and demand your money back. A little underhand but shops can be underhand also. Not advocating dishonestly but its an option ;-)

The retailer is in no way obligated to take back goods which are not faulty but are simply not wanted. Dropping it and pretending that the goods were faulty is a really dumb suggestion. :rolleyes:

What size/colour is it? I'd could take it off your hands.

Ebay or Buy and Sell is your best bet, unless you can find a friend willing to buy it. You may not come away with all the cash, but you should get most of it.

You've also pointed out to a lot of people that Xtra-Vision don't do refunds on unopened goods. They're not obliged to but many stores do. That might be a factor for some people in where they buy from. So you can feel pleased that you've probably done Xtra-Vision out of a couple of sales at least.

You've also learned a valuable lesson, when you buy something that you might have to return, ask about the return policy.

I reckon even if you lose out on a few quid, it's probably been worth it.

-Rd

The retailer is in no way obligated to take back goods which are not faulty but are simply not wanted. Dropping it and pretending that the goods were faulty is a really dumb suggestion. :rolleyes:

Why is it a 'dumb' suggestion? Come on Clubman, gimme a lecture. I know your dying to.

Because if you drop the item and damage it then the retailer will quite likely see that it was damaged after purchase (since you'll probably have to take the item out of the box to drop and damage it) and you end up not only with no refund but a broken gadget.

However, you could always drop the iPod and say it dosen't work and demand your money back.
Big difference between a device being faulty (in which case you're entitled to the refund) and one being broken (in which case you shouldn't have broken it and get nothing).

Sell it on, you risk losing a few € (shouldn't have too many problems getting a friend/relative to take an unopened Nano from you at [near] cost price) or break it and risk losing the full cost.

Fair point.. It was more tounge in cheek than an actual suggestion.

I bought a Creative Mp3 last year from Powercity. I realised that it was the wrong type only after I'd brought it home and opened the package. I brought it back but the salesman refused a credit note as it had been opened. There had been nothing about unopened packaging on the receipt, but he was adamant.
Next day I tried again with a different assistant, and it worked!
I was able to return it and used the c redit [quickly] to buy something else!

you could
attempt again with a manager
take the voucher and use against a DVD player/camera etc
take the voucher and split into pressies???

Your boyfriend is ungreatful, why won't he use it?

I wouldn't use an ipod either (my gf has one.) The itunes software is so bad, and they are totally aimed at the zombie crowd ("they tell me it's cool, so it's cool") which does my head in; people think they are sexy/cool/hip because of what marketing people tell them. And they're technically no where near the best mp3 players. And they're overpriced.

Ipods, in my opinion, show everything that's wrong with our current consumer society...

i totally disagree with the last comment..ipods and itunes have brought digital music to the masses.. do you think sony and other would be selling them so cheap it if there was no ipods?
i doubt it very much but people are entitled to their opinion..
also any company will tell you there product od the best so the Apple marketing are only doing their just the other companies.and yes .before you ask .i am an employee
pussycat. is ther anybody else in the family that you could give it to or sell to so that they can use it as a present.

Back