Bought ipod from Xtravision: BF wont use it: cant get refund only credit note

I thought that a customer had 14 days to return a bought item and in some stores you are allowed 28 days.

Having seen the reports on this tread I must congratulate Lidl as earlier this week I bought a DVD player/recorder for 199.99 on the understanding that I could use it on a boat on 12volts. However on reading the manual it was not suitable for my requirments and 2 days later I returned it.

I went straight to the cashier and she just asked the reason why and my money was refunded with no problems. I was asked to fill in a form with my name /address/phone no. but as I had paid cash they had no Laser Card details.

The reason I am saying that is because she did'nt open the box to see if everything was in it and I could have just put some weight in there and given any wrong ID details.

I still thought customers had a certain amount of time to return unused goods.

Lidl, Aldi, Argos and many other stores have their own returns policies on non faulty goods. However there is no statutory obligation on them to operate such policies. If the goods are not faulty then the retailer is under no obligation to offer a replacement, refund or credit note.

Re: Bought ipod cant get refund

I wouldn't use an ipod either (my gf has one.) The itunes software is so bad, and they are totally aimed at the zombie crowd ("they tell me it's cool, so it's cool") which does my head in; people think they are sexy/cool/hip because of what marketing people tell them. And they're technically no where near the best mp3 players. And they're overpriced.

Ipods, in my opinion, show everything that's wrong with our current consumer society...
Hi
Very interested to read your post, as I'm just trying to make up my mind which MP3 player I should buy. A friend is travelling to NY this month and I was going to ask her to get me an iPod 30GB. Also want to get dock & speakers. What would you suggest if you don't think the iPod is a good idea? I want to save space (so copy all my CDs onto it, and download some music from the internet if I can) and basically use the MP3 player as the sole "stereo system" in the house. I want very good quality of sound, and (of course) minimum use of physical space. What would you recommend?

I thought the same as the previous poster, that Ipods were very uncool because so many think they are cool. However my wife bought me one this Xmas (I had asked for one). There were several reasons I eventually gave in. Mainly due to the fantastic reviews Ipods always get and the small size of the Nano. The end choice came down to Ipod (Nano 8GB) vs the Sony NW-A1000 (6GB). The Sony would probably be better on sound but for size the ipod won.

Good points about the Ipod (Nano):
Size
Metallic casing
Scroll wheel which is very very cool
Sound
Availability of add on's and extras such as the Itrip.
Itunes (Podcasts are great. In someways Itunes is a good music manager).

Bad Points:
Cost (Apple price fix accross the globe - You will not make great savings buying in the US).
Itunes is a PC hog.

In summary if your just looking for great sound go for the Sony. As an all round package, imo, the Ipod is better.

Re: Bought ipod cant get refund

Hi
Very interested to read your post, as I'm just trying to make up my mind which MP3 player I should buy. A friend is travelling to NY this month and I was going to ask her to get me an iPod 30GB. Also want to get dock & speakers. What would you suggest if you don't think the iPod is a good idea? I want to save space (so copy all my CDs onto it, and download some music from the internet if I can) and basically use the MP3 player as the sole "stereo system" in the house. I want very good quality of sound, and (of course) minimum use of physical space. What would you recommend?

Most of my comments were aimed at you. Sorry I meant to quote you in my reply. You will not find an easier (legal ;)) way of getting MP3's onto your MP3 player than Itunes. Also there are many different docking/speakers configerations that you can buy ranging from straight forward speakers to a docking alarm clock. For great sound quality from a docking configuration I'd recommend:

Ipod Hifi ([broken link removed])

however a good selection of speaker add on's can be found at: [broken link removed]

Limited Guarantee

I bought a mobile phone approx 2 months ago from o2 store which will no longer recharge. On bringing it back for a replacement i was informed that the outlet only has a 1 month guarantee which is fairly pathetic.

Are sellers entitled to impose this limited guarantee?
Barry

No -- a phone that lasts only two months is not of 'merchantable quality'. At the very least you are entitled to a replacement battery.

Re: Limited Guarantee

I bought a mobile phone approx 2 months ago from o2 store which will no longer recharge. On bringing it back for a replacement i was informed that the outlet only has a 1 month guarantee which is fairly pathetic.

Are sellers entitled to impose this limited guarantee?
Barry

A guarantee is only a bonus and doesn't take away from your legal rights. Although you can't hold out for which precise method of compensation you want, i.e. a replacement, a repair or your money back, the retailer is obliged to take action which will provide you with a product that is of merchantable quality, or in the case of a cash refund that allows you to buy another product if you wish. A retailer will not get away with insisting that a phone is only good for a month.

Your first action is to go back with your receipt or alternative proof of purchase and demand to see someone in charge. If they stick to their guns, get in touch with their HO. If this fails then your only recourse is to the Small Claims Court. Keep notes of what you have done, who you saw, what was said etc and keep copies of any letters you might write.

I thought the same as the previous poster, that Ipods were very uncool because so many think they are cool. However my wife bought me one this Xmas (I had asked for one). There were several reasons I eventually gave in. Mainly due to the fantastic reviews Ipods always get and the small size of the Nano. The end choice came down to Ipod (Nano 8GB) vs the Sony NW-A1000 (6GB). The Sony would probably be better on sound but for size the ipod won.

Good points about the Ipod (Nano):
Size
Metallic casing
Scroll wheel which is very very cool
Sound
Availability of add on's and extras such as the Itrip.
Itunes (Podcasts are great. In someways Itunes is a good music manager).

Bad Points:
Cost (Apple price fix accross the globe - You will not make great savings buying in the US).
Itunes is a PC hog.

In summary if your just looking for great sound go for the Sony. As an all round package, imo, the Ipod is better.

The iPod has very good sound btw - as good as the Sony according to many reviews.

The main criticism of this Sony is that the jukebox software is nowhere near as easy to use iTunes.

Also, what would put me off hugely is that the Sony is a hard disc based player which means it is more likely to skip (in the gym in particular) and may not last as long as flash based players like the iPod. It seems crazy to me to pay a premium price for a small player and have it hard disc and not Flash based.

There is a good comparison here which comes out in favour of the iPod even though at the time the iPod was only 4GB and not the current 8GB.

Re: Limited Guarantee

A guarantee is only a bonus and doesn't take away from your legal rights. Although you can't hold out for which precise method of compensation you want, i.e. a replacement, a repair or your money back, the retailer is obliged to take action which will provide you with a product that is of merchantable quality, or in the case of a cash refund that allows you to buy another product if you wish. A retailer will not get away with insisting that a phone is only good for a month.

Your first action is to go back with your receipt or alternative proof of purchase and demand to see someone in charge. If they stick to their guns, get in touch with their HO. If this fails then your only recourse is to the Small Claims Court. Keep notes of what you have done, who you saw, what was said etc and keep copies of any letters you might write.

The phone should also be covered by manufacturer's warranty. If it fails to recharge then it is clearly not working correctly.

Back