BOI app down ?

Towger

Could you explain that a bit more.

Are you saying that they credit money to people's accounts and then take it away again without leaving any record?

Brendan
Yes. It always did this. If you logged on at the right time in the late evening/night. You could refresh the page every few seconds and see you balance going +/- by thousands. With or without (duplicated) transaction line items appearing/disappearing. If you checked again a few minutes later everything would be fine.
Banking365 ran on a separate database from their main system and was resynced every night. The resynchronization process caused this.
I would have hoped that after sending over a billion (1.5?) on IT they would cleaned this up. Maybe they did, maybe it still works this way.
In any event, something happened which caused a widespread issue, it was not just a few moments of two databases resyncing.

For the entertainment of those heaving suggestions of theft about, have a look at the following especially if you have time on your hands ;

Theft and fraud offences act 20001
Link https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/50/enacted/en/print.html

Look at general interpretations at section 2
link https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/50/enacted/en/print#sec2

Look at theft at section 4.
link https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/50/section/4/enacted/en/html#sec4

BTW anyone who gained money without proper entitlement might also be considered to have enjoyed unjust enrichment.
This is a situation whereby one party benefits at another's expense in a situation that would be regarded as unjust.

If all of the dubious transactions are reversed and the money goes back to it's proper place that terminates the "enjoyment" of the unjust enrichment but does not nullify the fact that it happened. This leads me to wonder if banks are going to be able to identify specifically those who executed the transactions in question and put them [customers/account holders] on a naughty list as being morally hazardous in financial matters.

You could refresh the page every few seconds and see you balance going +/- by thousands. With or without (duplicated) transaction line items appearing/disappearing. If you checked again a few minutes later everything would be fine.

Would these be random transactions unrelated to any real life transactions?

So I might see €1,000 lodged to my account for which there was absolutely no basis?

Brendan

I just did a POS transaction. Went through fine but not reflected in my balance. Why are BOI telling everyone things are back to normal when there is obviously a huge backlog.

On the flipside, drawdown a mortgage this morning with a different bank and it was reflected in my solicitors BOI account within minutes. Pretty sure that was SWIFT transfer though.

Is it usually reflected immediately?

AIB often has "pending transactions" on my account. Not sure why they are pending.

Brendan

You would always see them as in progress but your balance would reflect the transaction. Neither has happened.

"When will my wages actually be in my account ? Showed up last night but but now gone and no transaction history at all which worries me"

https://twitter.com/Gxrgan/status/1692173486481961177

One of the more interesting tweets, and there have been a few like this. Reminiscent of the great NatWest/UB fiasco, where transactions appearing, then disappearing and then reappearing happened quite a bit during the weeks of the recovery phase. Suggests that BOI are having difficulty synching their systems as the replay/rewind transactions.

Last edited:
Obviously not. They will still be overdrawn if they don't return it but they won't be charged interest or unathorised overdraft fees or have negative credit impact. That goes for people who went 1 euro overdrawn or people who transferred 1000 euro to revolut and chanced their arms....

If people choose not to return the money that isn't theirs, interest will be the least of their worries....
That wasa PR release. In reality if someone with a zero balance did this and now has a balance of -1000, they will need to lodge more than that into their account before they can make payments or withdrawals.
I don't think this would be obvious to the level of PR major the statement, who would be accustomed to seeing 3-4k plus being lodged from their salaries, but it's a lot less pretty if the customer is a student with a part time job or on social welfare. Cue forward 2 or 3 weeks and we start seeing stories in the media about BOI "taking" people's wages or social welfare payments.

Back