Best online broker for buy and hold investor?

When I place an order on the app it can take a number of days for it to show as having been completed, up to 5 days on occassions.
If you've placed a limit order it could take a few days until the price reaches your limit. Or if you're trading outside the opening hours of the exchange, e.g. over the weekend/bank holidays.

Last edited:
They do. I have Bank of Ireland shares listed in ISEQ with IB and they can be bought and sold on the IB app.
Why don't they list ISEQ here so?

https://www.interactivebrokers.ie/en/index.php?f=37908&p=europe

Why don't they list ISEQ here so?

https://www.interactivebrokers.ie/en/index.php?f=37908&p=europe
Probably because it's a very minor market. You can search for Irish shares and they will come up in ISEQ list.
I just tried CRH. They come up in ISEQ, London and New York and can be bought and sold.

Probably because it's a very minor market. You can search for Irish shares and they will come up in ISEQ list.
I just tried CRH. They come up in ISEQ, London and New York and can be bought and sold.
All charges can be found on their website. It just takes a little effort.
So, even if @Brendan Burgess puts in the effort to find their charges, he probably can't really trust the info to be accurate I guess?

If you've placed a limit order it could take a few days until the price reaches your limit. Or if you're trading outside the opening hours of the exchange, e.g. over the weekend/bank holidays.
A limit order might be the case. He should have mentioned that though.

Another reason is that the stocks that's being bought / sold might not have much activity. I had it once with one company. I popped in the market order and it didn't fulfil immediately. When I looked into it, it was a stock that only has a few thousand orders a day, not like the millions that might occur on the more normal tickers.

Any market order I've entered on mainstream shares action within seconds in Degiro for me.

Last edited:
So, even if @Brendan Burgess puts in the effort to find their charges, he probably can't really trust the info to be accurate I guess?
He obviously didn't put in any effort. IBs website is very complex. They operate an excellent service, but it is not suitable for a person not willing to work with it.
Degiro is better for the casual investor.

Why complex? Why can’t they do the basics of listing markets available? It’s not difficult.

Why not complex ?
It's a service that offers much more than a simpler site like Degiro.
Multi currency accounts for example, which allow foreign currency direct lodgements and withdrawals.
This can save large amounts of unnecessary Forex fees. All the features available can be found easily enough with a little effort.

Why complex? Why can’t they do the basics of listing markets available? It’s not difficult.

I don’t think any broker or other service provider tries to be complex!
You are mixing up complexity with confusion.
IB offer a service which has much more functions than Degiro.
Their platform is complex but not confusing to a regular trader.

Last edited:
best to bring back to topic rather than discussing definitions that are not helpful to question raised. I am very interested in Brennan’s original question. Post 29 refers to excellent service. Why excellent ?
I get the FX argument and low fees but what else? What are pros of IB v DEGIRO?

I invest in shares , not new to me . I am interested in learning of alternative brokers. I don’t see what’s wrong with asking other members for their opinion and experience. Is that not purpose of thread?
In case it's of any use:

I have an account with Davy. Their commission is pretty high at .5%. However I find that when I place an order it is usually executed pretty fast and notified immediately with the funds available to immediately re-invest if needs be. I never seem to get a better price than the Limit price I am looking for. The fact that they have an office in Dublin gives me some feeling of security. The seem to take forever to credit my account with dividends. I don't like the way that their site "times out" after 10 minutes, maybe this can be extended? Sometimes I am asked if I would like to stay "logged in" . When I say "Yes", I am usually logged out!!

Back