Best online broker for buy and hold investor?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
It's a while since this has been discussed on Askaboutmoney.

I had share certs so the best option for me at the time was Davys as they would accept share certs.

But now I want to sell some shares they want to charge me 0.5% commission.

So I will transfer them elsewhere.

I don't trade. I sell and buy occasionally.

Customer Service is still important. I don't want a Revolut situation where you can't talk to anyone if there is a problem.

What are the options?
De Giro
Interactive Brokers - Don't trade in shares on the Irish stock exchange

Brendan

Last edited:
De Giro seems much clearer and are Irish targeted.

But are there account fees?

There seems to be three different types of account

Basis/Active/Trader but I can't see the difference anywhere.

Brendan

Be aware that Degiro charges are changing next month. Scroll down for the current and imminent charges PDFs.

I emailed them and got a prompt reply.

Dear Brendan,

I would like to confirm that there are no maintenance, nor any inactivity fees when using the DEGIRO platform.

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
You have probably already seen the small annual fee for "connection" to certain exchanges?

Also...

Connectivity costs​

DEGIRO charges a fee to set up trading opportunities outside of your home market. This is to provide access to a large number of exchanges. This fee is levied upon those who are using these exchanges. We use a pay-per-use policy in our pricing, this means if you use a particular service you will be charged a fee but if you do not, then you will not incur additional fees.

For the connection fees you will pay a maximum of 0.25% of your total portfolio value (with a maximum charge of €2.50) per annum for each exchange with the exception of Irish Stock Exchange. The connectivity fee for US options is €5.00 per exchange per calendar month. These charges will be applied if you carry out a transaction or hold a position during the calendar year.

For example: Your portfolio value is €5,000 and you have carried out trades on the Irish Stock Exchange, London Stock Exchange, Euronext Derivatives, and also hold positions on the NYSE and Irish Stock Exchange, the below calculation will provide the fees:

Code:
Irish Stock Exchange                   €0.00 (positions and transactions for home market)
London Stock Exchange                  €2.50 (transactions)
Euronext Derivatives                   €2.50 (transactions)
NYSE                                   €2.50 (positions)
Total connectivity costs for the year  3 x €2.50 = €7.50

It's a while since this has been discussed on Askaboutmoney.

I had share certs so the best option for me at the time was Davys as they would accept share certs.

But now I want to sell some shares they want to charge me 0.5% commission.

So I will transfer them elsewhere.

I don't trade. I sell and buy occasionally.

Customer Service is still important. I don't want a Revolut situation where you can't talk to anyone if there is a problem.

What are the options?
De Giro
Interactive Brokers

Brendan
Looking to do the same Brendan. Still have around 35k in share certs. Would you suggest that to keep things simple firstly go to Davy to get out of physical certs and then proceed in same direction as yourself? Again like yourself not interested in trading looking to do what you are chasing.

Hi KOW

At the time I found Davy's the best place to handle share certs.

But if you are not selling them, then hold onto them until you need to sell them.

Brendan

Reactions: KOW
I didn't know what that meant?

2.50 euro fee per year per foreign exchange, other than your home market.

1682510292329.png

Back