BER Certificate requirement for the sale or letting of property starts on 1st Jan 09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butter

This Ber Certificate requirement for the sale or letting of property starts on 1st of Jan 2009. I will be putting a rental property back on the market in December, but am realistic about my chances of letting it before the New Year.
Will BER inspections only begin January does anyone know? Also has anyone any idea of expected costs?

Re: BER Certification

I presume it will be January as the law comes in then. I also would think that the cost will be as high as they want to charge. Its time for marching.

It's simple enough. From Jan 1 2009, landlords will need to supply a BER certificate to new tenants renting any property. The BER rating lets tenants know the energy performance of the dwelling. It gives potential tenants an idea of what their energy costs will be, and allows them to make meaningful comparisons between different dwellings that they might be considering renting.

Why would anyone (landlords excepted) march in the streets about such an obviously pro-consumer issue?

Perhaps landlords should think of the BER rating as a way to differentiate themselves from the competition. Energy efficient dwellings might even command a higher rent premium.

And if your apartment has a less than great rating, you have two choices: upgrade it so you can compete, or align the rent with the amount commanded by similarly rated dwellings in your area.

I have already gotten a few flyers in the door offering a discount for getting a BER done before the New Year. Realistically you will have to get one so now might be a good time. It would also mean you may be able to rectify things to improve the rating before you come to let the property

So would I be correct in saying that if I have tenants at the moment and have done for the past 7 months, I dont need to get it done unless these tenants leave and I get new tenants?

BER certs are not expensive. You can get them done now for 250euro as so many people have done the course and are registered weekend/ part time assessors.

So would I be correct in saying that if I have tenants at the moment and have done for the past 7 months, I dont need to get it done unless these tenants leave and I get new tenants?

Correct. The cert is needed when the building is offered for sale or letting. See here.

BER certs are not expensive. You can get them done now for 250euro as so many people have done the course and are registered weekend/ part time assessors.

If anyone knows who is doing them at €250 please let me know. I have seen them advertised for €400 and more which is extortionate. By the way does anyone know who is going to police this? Or will it be a case of registered landlords getting stung again?

I have already gotten a few flyers in the door offering a discount for getting a BER done before the New Year. Realistically you will have to get one so now might be a good time. It would also mean you may be able to rectify things to improve the rating before you come to let the property
What price were they offering tara? Would you mind pm'ing me their number?

Where are you based? There are a few people in Cork doing it for this price. Depending on the size of the dwelling.

Re: Ber Certificate requirement for the sale or letting of property starts on 1st Jan

have been making enquires on this as well as I need one new year. the cost being quoted by some people is like a base line cost for a new one bed apartment for example - a hook to get you to call - thats what I can see anyway. standard 3/ 4 bed are more. existing houses/apartments are more exoensive than new. as far as i can figure, an existing house requires a site visit, a survey, and then do the program / report /register secrt so its not a million miles off the cost of having a normal condition survey done if you buying a prop.

alos i think lots of people hav done the cousres but not all have registered with SEi, which is needed to get an official cert.

will be interested to see how it pans out

Re: Ber Certificate requirement for the sale or letting of property starts on 1st Jan

have been making enquires on this as well as I need one new year. the cost being quoted by some people is like a base line cost for a new one bed apartment for example - a hook to get you to call - thats what I can see anyway. standard 3/ 4 bed are more. existing houses/apartments are more exoensive than new. as far as i can figure, an existing house requires a site visit, a survey, and then do the program / report /register secrt so its not a million miles off the cost of having a normal condition survey done if you buying a prop.

alos i think lots of people hav done the cousres but not all have registered with SEi, which is needed to get an official cert.

will be interested to see how it pans out

This is probably correct.
However the increases aren't great as the property size encreases.
App start at 250
3 BED SEMI 275
4 BED SEMI 300.
ONE offs would have to be priced on a case by case basis as the size and material would differ greatly.

There are guys quoting rediculious prices but given the current climate you would be foolish to pay this kind of money.I have been quoted 400 Euro plus vat for a 3 bed semi. Good luck.

Having done the BER course I can say that one off houses can involve quote a lot of time to survey. Every external wall must be measured, and the area of every window/door also calculated. Also, every part of the roof area must be measured (you could have three different types of roof in a dormer house).

In the absence of architects drawings (which is likely to be the case in existing homes) then all the above must be physically measured on site.

I'd expect it to take maybe half a day to do an existing one off dwelling BER report when travel time is included.

If anyone knows who is doing them at €250 please let me know. I have seen them advertised for €400 and more which is extortionate. By the way does anyone know who is going to police this? Or will it be a case of registered landlords getting stung again?

It doesn't really seem extortionate when you see the work involved and it is consumer friendly.

My Advice to everyone is price around. It is an open an competive market so prices may vary.

Having done the BER course I can say that one off houses can involve quote a lot of time to survey. Every external wall must be measured, and the area of every window/door also calculated. Also, every part of the roof area must be measured (you could have three different types of roof in a dormer house). ....

How long does the course take?

To become a registered BER assessor you must first possess a minimum of a national certificate in construction related subject (2 years). Then a 1 week course for new build houses. Then register with SEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back