Behaviour that annoys me about air travel...

I am a small and compact human being so I dont care less about people reclining.

I do hate people who dont control their feral children on flights and allow me to be subjected to seat kicking, loud wailing, screaming, fighting, jumping about etc.....

I also hate drunkards on flights.

But what I hate most about flying is that when you come across a rude ignorant staff member (not often but it happens), you cannot stand up for yourself because chances are you'll be arrested for air rage.

Not everyone can afford to pay for a 'higher class' ticket or to pick and choose airlines. Seats were originally designed to recline when there was sufficient space between rows to allow for this. That is no longer the case so instead of deciding that they're 'entitled' to recline passengers on short flights should use cop on and consideration.

When was there sufficient room by your standards? The 50's? Flying will always be uncomfortable for some people because they are too tall, too fat etc but that's the way it is. If someone on an early morning flight to london wants to recline their seat to help them sleep, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed.

When was there sufficient room by your standards? The 50's? Flying will always be uncomfortable for some people because they are too tall, too fat etc but that's the way it is. If someone on an early morning flight to london wants to recline their seat to help them sleep, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed.

I do not know when they started to push the rows closer together, the point is they have done and it now bothers an awful lot of passengers (not just fat or unusually tall ones) to have a seat reclined back on top of them.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. But I shall continue to push my knees against the back of the seat in front if the person has their seat reclined to an angle that makes me feel cramped and uncomfortable.

Seat pitch and width are usually pretty much the same no matter who you fly with. Aerlingus use short-haul Airbus A320's and have a seat pitch of 30" and width of 18". Ryanair use Boeing 737-300's and have a pitch of 30" and width of 17".

32" pitch would be the max you would likely see in an economy long or short haul flight.

Front seats in economy should definitely be fixed so as not to recline, if you are quick enough to get these seats there is plenty of leg room to stretch. I spent almost all of a flight home from NYC on the second row behind a girl who reclined ther seat the moment we were airborn and had to be told by the aircrew several times to put her seat up for meals and landing. She also carried on talking on her phone until the air crew almost had to remove it from her hand...

I read somewhere years ago that, if the person in front has reclined their seat, just lean forward and tell them you need more space as you're about to throw up. It's supposed to have the desired effect though I've never tried it myself.

My ass isn't getting bigger
The airline seats are getting smaller :cool:

I believe in the imaginary line between seats, and maybe I should not judge people but I secretly groan when the large gentleman or lady chooses to sit beside me.
Same happens on Bus Éireann coaches.

My personal space is important to me and while they fit in the seat it's still encroaching into my space and I felt put out over it

I've never asked someone to move over a bit but it's not even their fault [or is it?] as they cannot realy move over.

And it's never rugby players with fantastic physiques who are just damn huge and powerful
Very opposite scale of fitness

Oh, my post sounds harsh and I'm going to get flamed :(

In the days before online check-in, the thing that used to annoy me most was those people who seem to take forever at the check-in desk. You hand in your ticket and your passport and get you bags checked - usually takes c.2 minutes in total. Can someone elighten me as to what those people who take c.10 minutes do be doing/talking about? Always wondered.

ME TOO !

Most of my check ins are quick and easy affairs. But every now and then, I have had occasion to want to change my seat assignment for that flight, or I had an issue or question with a connecting flight that I was getting later on. My issue is usually resolved in about 60 seconds. WTF is up with the people who camp out at the check in desk for what seems like bloody YEARS? WTF are they trying to do for gods sake? Organize a military coup in the country that they are going to? Plan the colour of the marching band and red carpet for their arrival? Bah humbug !

Whatever about people reclining to sleep on long haul flights, I don't understand why people can't undertake a two hour flight without lying back to have a snooze. There really is no justification for that when passengers are already sitting in cramped conditions, without you taking up the bit of space they have in front of them to stretch yourself out comfortably. On one flight recently I couldn't even read because the selfish tosser in front of me was completely blocking my light. The flight was from Brussels to Dublin, hardly a marathon journey.
That is pretty harsh and judgmental imo. You have no way of knowing what kinds of journeys your fellow travelers have been on, or how long they have been on the road without sleep. The flight may be an easy two hour trip for you. It may not be the case for everyone else. The last time I flew from Atlanta to Dublin, I had to fly via Paris. Thanks to the a$$hole beside me, I got zero sleep on the Atlanta/Paris leg of the trip. Prior to getting on the flight in Atlanta, I had been up for nearly 20 hours. As soon as I got on the plane to Dublin, I damm near passed out from exhaustion. If someone was standing in judgment over me wanting to have a bit of kip on a short two hour flight, they would have gotten pretty short thrift from me I can tell ya !

I have no problem dozing off with my seat in it's normal non reclined position. I would be very much aware of the inconvenience of having my seat reclined for the person behind me. I would never stand blocking the conveyor belt with my trolley waiting for my luggage. It's about self awareness really. Lots of people don't have it.

It is obvious that the reclining seat situation on short-haul flights is the main issue here. To be honest, I can get a little peeved at a reclining seat immediately in front of me also. However, if a seat is reclinable, it will be reclined and you can have no argument with the person availing of it. Ryanair dont allow reclinable seats on flights. I am sure with a little bit of complaint from customers Aer Lingus will do the same.

Also, it is possible that somebody working in Aer Lingus peruses this site occasionally and perhaps the issue can be brought to the attention of Customer Service?

ME TOO !

Most of my check ins are quick and easy affairs. But every now and then, I have had occasion to want to change my seat assignment for that flight, or I had an issue or question with a connecting flight that I was getting later on. My issue is usually resolved in about 60 seconds. WTF is up with the people who camp out at the check in desk for what seems like bloody YEARS? WTF are they trying to do for gods sake? Organize a military coup in the country that they are going to? Plan the colour of the marching band and red carpet for their arrival? Bah humbug !

That is pretty harsh and judgmental imo. You have no way of knowing what kinds of journeys your fellow travelers have been on, or how long they have been on the road without sleep. The flight may be an easy two hour trip for you. It may not be the case for everyone else. The last time I flew from Atlanta to Dublin, I had to fly via Paris. Thanks to the a$$hole beside me, I got zero sleep on the Atlanta/Paris leg of the trip. Prior to getting on the flight in Atlanta, I had been up for nearly 20 hours. As soon as I got on the plane to Dublin, I damm near passed out from exhaustion. If someone was standing in judgment over me wanting to have a bit of kip on a short two hour flight, they would have gotten pretty short thrift from me I can tell ya !

Nothing harsh or judgmental about it. If you're that exhausted you'll be able to sleep without reclining the seat and can just push a cardigan or sweater behind your neck for comfort. People who are exhausted fall asleep on trains and buses. without having to recline. The rest of us can manage two hours without having to stretch ourselves out comfortably at the expense of the people behind us.

It's not all about you and your problems you know. People should be entitled to equal space per seat (how do you know the person behind you doesn't have problems with their knees or something) and the reclining facility should be removed from short haul flights.

Nothing harsh or judgmental about it. If you're that exhausted you'll be able to sleep without reclining the seat and can just push a cardigan or sweater behind your neck for comfort. People who are exhausted fall asleep on trains and buses. without having to recline. The rest of us can manage two hours without having to stretch ourselves out comfortably at the expense of the people behind us.

It's not all about you and your problems you know. People should be entitled to equal space per seat (how do you know the person behind you doesn't have problems with their knees or something) and the reclining facility should be removed from short haul flights.

I can't fall asleep upright; I have to be lying down. It doesn't matter how tired I am. I recline my seat on long flights but I ask the person behind me if they mind before I do so.

Some airlines have seats that recline by the cushion moving forward so you recline into your own space rather than into the seat behind you. Cathay Pacific come to mind but I think Lufthansa have started to introduce them too. Brilliant idea, I'm petite but I still hate recliners on planes and never recline my seat. I can't sleep on planes regardless of position. I've been lucky enough to fly in business a few times on long haul flights and still can't sleep even on a flat seat.

I had a nightmare flight years back with Damien behind me, yes the child from hell. Sitting with trendy "I don't discipline my child" Dad, it was horrendous. Flight was packed, the boy (about 9) kicked my chair, pulled my hair, shouted in my ear etc for 9 hours of an 11 hour flight. Dad's response to my pleas were "he's just a child" or "Damien (not real name but it should have been) I don't think that lady is enjoying what you are doing". Cabin crew didn't give a f*ck, it was Aer Lingus transatlantic and the last time I have given AL a cent of my money. The killer part was the demon child finally dropped off 2 hours before landing...but breakfast was served 90 minutes before landing and...Dad woke him up :O

I hate people who hog both armrests, often happens me because I'm small. Doesn't mean I don't like my space.

Carry on bags...all the things that drive me crazy have already been listed...especially on domestic flights in the US, passengers and gate staff blatantly disregard cabin bag sizers and it causes all kinds of problems on board.

People who leave airplane toilets in a state...eww, seriously!

I dislike cabin crew who are snooty, or inappropriate. On a recent flight I had an aisle seat in a preferred row, the front row of our economy section. I had that seat by virtue of my OH's frequent flyer status which gave us free access to these seats rather than paying for them. This flight was on a 757 (which I hate) so 3-3 seats, with a single aisle. Only the middle and aisle seats in our row were preferred, unusually the window wasn't. This was because the door was in front of our row and the padding on the door meant the leg room in the window seat was reduced to that of a normal row. The guy in that seat was tall and boarded before us. He decided he preferred my aisle seat to his window seat, and the flight attendant tried to convince me (in front of him) that I should swap with him because I'm smaller. I didn't. And so she showered him with extra drinks and snacks etc during the flight while practically throwing mine at me.

He decided he preferred my aisle seat to his window seat, and the flight attendant tried to convince me (in front of him) that I should swap with him because I'm smaller. I didn't. And so she showered him with extra drinks and snacks etc during the flight while practically throwing mine at me.

:mad::mad::mad:
Name and shame this airline

I had a woman who was flicking the crumbs off her scone/sandwich on to me after she had finished eating. She also tried to hog the armrest for the whole flight unaware that it was not hers.

Was once on a charter flight from Spain to Dublin which was full of drunks - you know the type who go on holiday purely to get drunk etc.

Flight was delayed and arrived in Dublin in the early hours of the morning. On TWO occasions, passengers pressed the emergency stop button on the baggage belt in order to retrieve their suitcases - couldnt be bothered waiting for them to come around again. On each occasion it took 1/2 hour to get it going again - was 2am and not a lot of staff around. Then a group of drunks decided to dance on the belt and it stopped - another delay of 1/2 hour. Thought I was never going to get home.

Have never flown a charter flight since.

Some airlines have seats that recline by the cushion moving forward so you recline into your own space rather than into the seat behind you. Cathay Pacific come to mind but I think Lufthansa have started to introduce them too. Brilliant idea, I'm petite but I still hate recliners on planes and never recline my seat. I can't sleep on planes regardless of position. I've been lucky enough to fly in business a few times on long haul flights and still can't sleep even on a flat seat.

I had a nightmare flight years back with Damien behind me, yes the child from hell. Sitting with trendy "I don't discipline my child" Dad, it was horrendous. Flight was packed, the boy (about 9) kicked my chair, pulled my hair, shouted in my ear etc for 9 hours of an 11 hour flight. Dad's response to my pleas were "he's just a child" or "Damien (not real name but it should have been) I don't think that lady is enjoying what you are doing". Cabin crew didn't give a f*ck, it was Aer Lingus transatlantic and the last time I have given AL a cent of my money. The killer part was the demon child finally dropped off 2 hours before landing...but breakfast was served 90 minutes before landing and...Dad woke him up :O

I hate people who hog both armrests, often happens me because I'm small. Doesn't mean I don't like my space.

Carry on bags...all the things that drive me crazy have already been listed...especially on domestic flights in the US, passengers and gate staff blatantly disregard cabin bag sizers and it causes all kinds of problems on board.

People who leave airplane toilets in a state...eww, seriously!

I dislike cabin crew who are snooty, or inappropriate. On a recent flight I had an aisle seat in a preferred row, the front row of our economy section. I had that seat by virtue of my OH's frequent flyer status which gave us free access to these seats rather than paying for them. This flight was on a 757 (which I hate) so 3-3 seats, with a single aisle. Only the middle and aisle seats in our row were preferred, unusually the window wasn't. This was because the door was in front of our row and the padding on the door meant the leg room in the window seat was reduced to that of a normal row. The guy in that seat was tall and boarded before us. He decided he preferred my aisle seat to his window seat, and the flight attendant tried to convince me (in front of him) that I should swap with him because I'm smaller. I didn't. And so she showered him with extra drinks and snacks etc during the flight while practically throwing mine at me.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that was out of order. You should have made a written complaint to the airline about her.

I hate it when passengers use foul language when talking to each other, especially when there's children on board. This seems to be an Irish problem only.

Back