Behaviour that annoys me about air travel...

liaconn

I've noticed that a lot of passengers just seem to throw their luggage into the first available space as they walk down the aircraft regardless of how near it is to their seat. This means the people sitting in those seats can't keep their luggage close to them but have to go further down the aircraft looking for a space. I actually saw an argument about this on a plane a couple of years ago.
Why do people do this? I can understand if you're one of the last people to board and just have to take what's available. But if you're boarding in good time it doesn't make much sense and means, at landing, people are trying to squeeze down the plane to get to their bags.

I've noticed that a lot of passengers just seem to throw their luggage into the first available space as they walk down the aircraft regardless of how near it is to their seat. This means the people sitting in those seats can't keep their luggage close to them but have to go further down the aircraft looking for a space. I actually saw an argument about this on a plane a couple of years ago.
Why do people do this? I can understand if you're one of the last people to board and just have to take what's available. But if you're boarding in good time it doesn't make much sense and means, at landing, people are trying to squeeze down the plane to get to their bags.

There should be a book written on the etiquette of boarding and disembarking from aircraft.

Can I hijack the thread? [oooooh, hijack in a thread about planes]

The plane lands, has come to a stop and doors will be open in a minute or two

You're sitting outside, relaxing and waiting and the person inside you is stressing, looking at you and "excuse me, excuse me"

Why the mad panic to stand up? Doors are not open, you are not going anywhere. Even if you are the first to stand up and have your bag you're saving maybe two minutes at most

I don't understand :confused:

Just sit, wait until the doors are open, the aisle is pretty clear and relax until then

Can I hijack the thread? [oooooh, hijack in a thread about planes]

The plane lands, has come to a stop and doors will be open in a minute or two

You're sitting outside, relaxing and waiting and the person inside you is stressing, looking at you and "excuse me, excuse me"

Why the mad panic to stand up? Doors are not open, you are not going anywhere. Even if you are the first to stand up and have your bag you're saving maybe two minutes at most

I don't understand :confused:

Just sit, wait until the doors are open, the aisle is pretty clear and relax until then

Also, mobile phones should not be turned on until inside the terminal. Of course as soon as the plane lands, all you hear is beep beep beep beep. Amazing how many REALLY urgent messages people get.

This is letting off steam forum and AAM blew as the pressure built up. Best to add something

Fools who queue with you and then react in horror when they are asked to empty their pockets and get themselves sorted. Were ya asleep all this time? :mad:. Probably the same people who look shocked when the girl in Tesco asks them for money or those who search bottomless handbags with the bus arrives

When you are getting your jacket and stuff just stand aside and put the tray away. Some people insist on standing in the way, not moving their tray and the conveyor belt gets back up. Is standing aside so difficult? :rolleyes:

Ever in Terminal One in Dublin?
The walk to Pier D, I thought I was in Co Meath by the time I got there :eek:

Used to live in Artane in North Dublin. Maybe eight or nine km from Dublin Airport. And the bitching I took from a grumpy driver in the airport when I got him. Well sorry for not being a juicy fare to South Dublin. :(

Bus Éireann and Shannon airport. Last bus is ridiculously early, kindly sort that out.

Loud mouth skangers on your plane on their holidays and detailing their plans to find a bar and "setup base". It's like a military campaign with their obsession to find a base.
And it's sad to go to sunny Spain and spend most of it in a dark bar.

Price of sandwiches in airports, outright robbery.

I don't actually know what a smokeless cigarette is or how it works. :eek:

Ryanir, quit padding your timetables and then having that trumpet announcement as if you just beat a world airspeed record

Passengers, quit giving them the bualadh bos, it only encourages them

Glasgow Prestwick is like flying to Dublin and landing in Co Louth. It's not Glasgow at all

Last one, for all the moaning I do over Irish Rail the price of trains in Ireland is not so bad. Stanstead Express, Gatwick Express and trains in England in general are very expensive.

Can I add;
The fools that push their way off planes even though there's a bus waiting to bring them to the terminal. They then stand at the door of the bus, half blocking it, so that they can be first off that as well.

People who make no allowances for other passengers who are travelling with children. I fly a lot for work and it's much easier than travelling with kids.

Airlines who allow Children to fly in business class. Recently spent 12 hours in the company of a crying baby despite my company paying €4k for a ticket to ensure I could go straight to a meeting. Even the Cabin Crew said it was ridiculous.

Jeez Sunny, that's a nightmare. This is one reason I now fly as little as possible. Couldn't stand the stress of that. I remember a few years ago flying to New York and sat beside a baby who was in a stinking rotting unchanged nappy the whole way.

In the immortal words of J-P Sartre: HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Sunny, i would complain to the airline. When you buy a business/first class ticket, you are paying for the luxury etc. of being in that class. It is the airlines duty to ensure that they deliver that service. Some colleagues have complained before and normally get at least a free upgrade when they next fly economy, or even a free flight. Worth speaking to them. I do agree though, that a screaming baby up front is not a pleasant experience. Well, anywhere really! (and that is not an anti-child rant by the way! :D).

Ok, this is the opposite of getting ticked off at people standing up on a plane and wanting to get their bags and get off before everyone else. I have been one of those people many a time. The reason for being in a rush was a very short time in which to catch a connecting flight. I've been on flights that were delayed, and just before landing the cabin crew made an announcement that several passengers are at risk of missing their connecting flight to the delay. They ask people who are not getting a connecting flight to stay in their seats, and to let those who do have one disembark first. Makes sense, right? Common good manners, right? Do people ever pay attention and actually do it? Nope. Drives me nuts !

Don't agree that just because I can afford to pay for a first class seat, I should be able to dictate who else gets to fly first class. All you are paying for is a better seat, more leg room, better food, free booze and kiss ass service. You don't get to be a bouncer on the door too. Sitting beside a crying child is a pain, but I if could afford to fly first class there is no way I'd let having a child with me stop me from doing so.

Ok, this is the opposite of getting ticked off at people standing up on a plane and wanting to get their bags and get off before everyone else. I have been one of those people many a time. The reason for being in a rush was a very short time in which to catch a connecting flight. I've been on flights that were delayed, and just before landing the cabin crew made an announcement that several passengers are at risk of missing their connecting flight to the delay. They ask people who are not getting a connecting flight to stay in their seats, and to let those who do have one disembark first. Makes sense, right? Common good manners, right? Do people ever pay attention and actually do it? Nope. Drives me nuts !
I agree. That happened to me when trying to get a connecting flight through Texas coming back from Central America the same weekend as Hurricane Catharina.

Don't agree that just because I can afford to pay for a first class seat, I should be able to dictate who else gets to fly first class. All you are paying for is a better seat, more leg room, better food, free booze and kiss ass service. You don't get to be a bouncer on the door too. Sitting beside a crying child is a pain, but I if could afford to fly first class there is no way I'd let having a child with me stop me from doing so.
I see your point here as well (I can also see why other passengers would be annoyed). It’s really unfortunate but should as airline refuse to allow families to travel first or business class? It doesn’t affect me since I’ve never flown anywhere other than economy class.

Don't agree that just because I can afford to pay for a first class seat, I should be able to dictate who else gets to fly first class.

What about this ? Do you get to complain ?

I remember the story when it was first reported. IIRC, the paying passenger was offered some compensation.

Nobody is asking you to dictate anything. The airline should dictate it. The majority of people travelling business class on long haul flights are business people, many of whom use the flight to work and pay extra for the ability to do so in comfort. These are the repeat customers that airlines should be keeping happy, not families with young children even if they can afford to fly buisiness or first class.

Nobody is asking you to dictate anything. The airline should dictate it. The majority of people travelling business class on long haul flights are business people, many of whom use the flight to work and pay extra for the ability to do so in comfort. These are the repeat customers that airlines should be keeping happy, not families with young children even if they can afford to fly buisiness or first class.

I think Malaysian Airways no longer accept children in upper cabins....

I would pay extra to be seated on a child free flight when I fly on business (possible personally as well). As you say, normally returning customers who are paying for the 'privilege' of being able to continue their work duties while in the air.

I have to say, if I had paid a fortune for the luxury of travelling first class I would be a bit annoyed if I then had to put up with a screaming baby or whinging toddlers for the duration of the flight.

Yes, but where do you draw the line as to what can impact a first class passengers comfort? Should a person in a wheel chair who suffers occasional physical spasms not be allowed to travel first class lest their fellow passengers have to witness it? Should a post operative person with a colostomy bag not be allowed to fly first class lest the smell of pee put their fellow passengers off their dinners? Should a person who suffers from travel sickness not be allowed fly first class lest the sight and smell of their constant puking puts others off their dinners. Should a a person coughing and sneezing from a bad cold not be allowed to fly first class lest their fellow passengers catch their germs? Should a person with a chronic fear of flying not be allowed fly first class lest their fellow passengers have to witness their having hysterics? These things all happen on a day to day basis, and I'd hate to be member of cabin crew if I had to enforce those kind of restrictions.

(The dead body situ is a once off occurrence unlikely to happen to the average traveler. Upsetting in the extreme to everyone involved, but sadly its hard to find a perfectly workable solution that keeps everyone happy. Do agree that the passengers involved were due some sort of compensation from the airline and better consideration from the cabin crew)

Anyway, I do agree that airlines should play a role in keeping their first class customers as happy as possible when it comes to kids. They pay the bills after all. When I lived in the States, several airlines had blocks of seats on long haul flights that were either not available to book if you had kids, or you were guaranteed no kids being within 5 rows of you if you booked one. You had to pay more to book one of these seats. I can see that working out, but I can't really see how they can ban kids from an entire cabin. An unruly, energetic 10 year old who refuses to stay in his seat can be just as annoying as a crying baby.

Back