"Bad Parking" car stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.
double parking was not an option , as the spaces were parallell, and to double park would mean leaving my car on a main road blocking the whole road .

Next time ring the parking enforcement company used by the council, explain the urgency of you needing to get the car parked and get your child into hospital and get them to send along one of those flat backed trucks to cart away one of the offending cars.

Next time ring the parking enforcement company used by the council, explain the urgency of you needing to get the car parked and get your child into hospital and get them to send along one of those flat backed trucks to cart away one of the offending cars.

Please god their wont be an next time but thanks ill look up those numbers before i leave for my next journey

But if like my situation , you have able bodied people using disabled parking bays, why would more spaces becoming available be a problem for you ??

because I don't park in disabled spots like I have already stated.

Also , in at town like wicklow with a population of 12000 people , there are 3 main street parking spots. THREE ! by my calulations , if 1 in 400 hold a permit then wouldnt the town require at least 30 DISABLED SPOTS??

And how many actual main street parking spots are there in total? I'm not denying you a right because obviosly you can park where you want in Wicklow using either disabled or 'regular' (can't think of any other word, no offence intended) spots.

Then what about limerick with a greater population?? you want parking for yourself ,but for no body else.
That would be nice actually, but no I don't park on the street that frequently anymore. Obviosly its an emotional issue for you thats why I said I was making a logical argument.

Re: Bad Parking

Someone I know is a disabled driver and has the usual list of stories about people taking up disabled spaces and refusing to move. Recently, they were waiting for someone to exit a disabled space when a car came from the other direction and swooped in to take the spot. My friend wound down the window and politely pointed out that it was a disabled spot and could they move on - they were met with a charming response of "Go F*** off, I got it etc etc.

You would seriously wonder about the mind set of a b*tch like that. Well, what goes around comes around and she will probably realise herself someday the importance of these spaces and the serious inconvenience that selfish wagons like herself cause.

Why would I ferry people about because I have an opinion that differs slightly to yours? If I was to complain about how rude some shop assistants are should I walk in their shoes too etc? Its about what I see every day as a road user without disablity. I thinjk there are enough in the city centre(Limerick) without doubling them.

MrMan the point I am making is perhaps you do not have a real understanding of the issue if you yourself have not had to face the problems of finding parking when the only spots you can use are disabled ones. I dont know how much thought I put into the issue myself until I actually needed to park in a disabled bay so I would have enough space to get the wheelchair out of the back of the car and assist my mother getting from the car seat into it. I accept you have a differing opinion but I question how informed that opinion is.

Maybe you should stand back and look at the issue at hand and not the smart alec comments you can throw in.
Er - you asked for comments! If you don't want them then perhaps you shouldn't post on a public discussion forum or attack people who provide them!?! :mad: :rolleyes:

Anybody of the view that there are a lot of cars out there with false / forged disabled driver stickers?

I see the point of them in shopping centres etc but when they are scattered around a city they lose some of their validity in my eyes.

Thats a stupid statement - are disabiled people only ment to shop in shopping centres? Are they not entitled to go to restaurants, hospitals, other shops not in the mega centres?? In fact there should be at least 1 or 2 on EVERY road. Many peoplle who have the passes are able to walk, but may not be able to walk further than a short journey witout going dizzy or weak.
I would say they should probably tighten up on getting BACK the cards after they are no longer required....but the majority of card holders genuinely need them & fear of not getting parking close to where they need to go can mean they may not make the journey.
Ideally there should be enough to be sure that some of them vacant - it is a much bigger ordeal for some with a disability to arrange to go out & they should be reasonably confident that there will be a space.

Wicklow lass - sorry about your ordeal, sounds like a nightmare. Maybe you should bring a camera with you and take photos of the offending cars in the future, then again, you probably have better things to do!

No its not a logical argument, just a selfish one.

Put me in my place there, I don't know how i live with myself having a slightly differing opinion on a topic than the vocal majority.

MrMan the point I am making is perhaps you do not have a real understanding of the issue if you yourself have not had to face the problems of finding parking when the only spots you can use are disabled ones

Its time to get this straight. I believe that those that really need disabled spots are indeed entitled to them, I also believe that those that need wheelchair access from spots are more deserving by and large. I don't have a close relative at the moment in a wheelchair, that shouldn't be the point, i have plenty of experience in seeing how all types of disabilities affect those with them and those close to them and my heart goes out to them. The last line there was part of my point originally, generally the only spots that I can use are full and the disabled ones are free, we have to think of everyone and not just those with disabilities, sounds selfish, its just a different viewpoint.

I accept you have a differing opinion but I question how informed that opinion is.

Thank you for both accepting my opinion and doubting it in the same line.

Anybody of the view that there are a lot of cars out there with false / forged disabled driver stickers?
I would think that happens alright, I don't think that even all of the 'legit' cases are actually in need of a disc even though I'm sure the vast majority are needed.

Er - you asked for comments! If you don't want them then perhaps you shouldn't post on a public discussion forum or attack people who provide them!?! :mad: :rolleyes:

Wicklowlass was recounting a very distressing experience. Do you always have to look for the first opportunity to jump in with smart alecy comments?

Thats a stupid statement - are disabiled people only ment to shop in shopping centres? Are they not entitled to go to restaurants, hospitals, other shops not in the mega centres??

again with OTT reply. My point was actually in shopping centre presumably most people gain access through the entrance, so the disabled spots are correctly placed at the entrance. In a city there are a number of destinations scattered throughout the city so by parking in a disabled spot it doesn't necessarily mean that the person will have a shortened journey. They may have to park 4 streets away so its not the same as in the shopping centre scenario.

Ideally there should be enough to be sure that some of them vacant - it is a much bigger ordeal for some with a disability to arrange to go out & they should be reasonably confident that there will be a space.

Ideally there should be enough spaces for everyone.

They may have to park 4 streets away so its not the same as in the shopping centre scenario.

Thank you for agreeing with my point there should be at least 1 or 2 on every road!
I had to bring someone in to Dublin to get fitted with a medical devise at a store. There was a spot, but taken by a van (no disabled badge). Had to park about half a mile from where we were going in a regular spot. He found it very difficult to get out of the car as the car beside was close & he was exahusted after the walk to the store.

Ideally there should be enough spaces for everyone.
An ideal world doesn't exist, thereore we should do what we can to help those less fortunate. You can't compare your want for a convienent parking space to someone elses need for one.

double parking was not an option , as the spaces were parallell, and to double park would mean leaving my car on a main road blocking the whole road .
I'd still have double parked. The cops would have been on the spot in a few minutes and sorted it out.

Last edited:
I have loads of faults, I park on double yellow lines, loading bays, anywhere I can fit a long wheel based van, but never in a million years would I even consider taking a parking space assigned for a disabled person. It shows a lack of compassion and respect. I live in a small town with a traffic warden and the only time I see him give out tickets is to tax dodgers and parking in disabled spots, and rightly so.
When I see someone even waiting in one without a badge it really annoys me.

Re: Bad Parking

I'm not condoning it, but if every available space is used up and there are 5 disabled spaces left as the only alternative, you can understand the ineveitable temptation to use it.

No I don’t understand the temptation to use it...it's selfish and inconsiderate. Just because the spots are vacant at 8am does not mean they wouldn't be required at a later time in the day.

It's basically lazy. I have often arrived down late and missed parking spots and had to deal with it. Wouldn’t entertain the idea of parking in a disabled spot while others do. Morning commuters seem to just think they are a back up or contingency spot if the rest of the car park is full...they don’t consider the fact that maybe a disabled person might 'NEED' this spot at a later time in the day for travel while their car sits there all day.

we have to think of everyone and not just those with disabilities, sounds selfish, its just a different viewpoint.

Yes of course we have to think of everyone but we have to put people with disabilities needs BEFORE able bodied. I would never park in a disabled spot anyway but really had experience of it a few years back with a close family member. I learned exactly how hard it is for disabled people to access public services, shops, everything. I also learned not to judge someone on the way they look as if you can tell by looking at someone if they have a disability or not.

im not attacking anyone but ...
Er....
... most of your comments are smart alec comments which are up of help to no one with a topic like this.
Maybe you should stand back and look at the issue at hand and not the smart alec comments you can throw in.
As I said - if you don't want comments then don't post...
What would you have done ?? how angered would you have felt???

Thank you for agreeing with my point there should be at least 1 or 2 on every road!
The only way to solve the problem looks like to make all space for disabled persons and have discs for abled bodied people, that way we can all live with good conscience and ignore the traffic chaos.

You can't compare your want for a convienent parking space to someone elses need for one.
Ok going down the pedantic route then, what if I have a need for a space, I don't need to be disabled to need a space. To say that my 'want' for a space is less than someone elses need is misleading and too general.

No I don’t understand the temptation to use it...it's selfish and inconsiderate. Just because the spots are vacant at 8am does not mean they wouldn't be required at a later time in the day.
You don't understand it and I can see why some are tempted, either way its wrong so thats not really being debated.

Yes of course we have to think of everyone but we have to put people with disabilities needs BEFORE able bodied.

I would put people with disabilities before myself, but if we were to do that solely on morals or principals than without planning we would have every second space for disabled parking and worse traffic management than is already in place. Like i said earlier I'm just basing my argument on logic over morals, I'm not trying to demonise disabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back