Baby after settling family separation

"assumed she had no serious partner ready to move in."

At what point was your former wife asked by either your solicitor or by the judge hearing your case if she was in another relationship?

This was a consent agreement? You agreed to this? And you want to appeal what you've agreed because you believe she misrepresented her status?

Frankly, you're on a hiding to nothing. Aa a rule, a court won't set aside a consent agreement.

mf

I've no idea how you might get on with your problem. but people here have given lots of advice. Not sure if any of them are legal professionals even if they're trying to come across as such.

The whole point of the process was to bring closure, so that you both could move on with your lives and you agreed to this settlement. And now you want to somehow have this receded because you only agreed to because you though she would not be moving on with her life... it is going to be very hard to sell that one to anyone, never mind a court.

Was it a toss up between spending 15k fighting it in court or walking away 15k better off with not much prospect of a better outcome? Were you in a position to take over the mortgage yourself?

OP's best option at this stage is to move on with his lfe. Playing out what coulda/shoulda been is pointless at this stage.

OP had his opportunity in court.

Here's the thing:

The OP hasn't answered the question with regards to when (or if) his former wife was asked either by the Judge at the hearing or by his Solicitor about being in another relationship. Neither has he noted if he was also asked that question.

I'm nigh on 100% certain that neither of them were asked to state this fact via affidavit or in response to questions at the hearing.

And why might that be?

Because it's not relevant.

OP may be feeling very aggrieved (understandably!) that his former wife was possibly unfaithful during their marriage. However, the conduct of either party during the marriage is not taken into account when reaching a settlement - unless (and this is a big unless) it would be a grave injustice not to do so. As an example (I stress the word example) of grave misconduct you could be looking at criminal activity, domestic violence, convictions for serious offences. Adultery doesn't make the list.

If the OP is paying spousal maintenance, then that will cease if his former wife remarries.

EDIT: to keep noproblem happy - IANAL

Last edited:
Not sure if any of them are legal professionals even if they're trying to come across as such.
To reply to this, I have clearly stated on many posts that IANAL. I am however, speaking from experience over several years in this area.

To reply to this, I have clearly stated on many posts that IANAL. I am however, speaking from experience over several years in this area.

Good man. I've meet a fair few over the years on the other side of the bar who have saved the turf, brought home the hay, made an awful lot of money on the Gee Gees, solved everyone else's problems but can't solve their own, haven't a penny in their pockets, have the plot of turf rented for beer money and their bitteen of land wouldn't rear a snipe. However, they've a load of experience over the years and speak their minds and fair play to them. But ?

Back