Average grocery spend

paulocon

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of stats on average shopping spends for families of various sizes?

Mine is approximately €100- family of 4 + 2 dogs

Maybe you could get your stats here if all posters contribute.

Hi Mine is approx €130 - €150 per week, family of 6 + dogs etc,.

Mine is approximately €100- family of 4 + 2 dogs

Maybe you could get your stats here if all posters contribute.

That's per week, yes?

Should stuff like nappies, Mach 3 blades, cosmetics etc be included?

Yes it is per week- doubt a family of 4 could eat on €100 a month;)

I would expect the OP is looking for everything one would buy in the weekly shop.

Yes it is per week- doubt a family of 4 could eat on €100 a month;)

I would expect the OP is looking for everything one would buy in the weekly shop.

Things have definitely got cheaper recently.

We shop in Superquinn and they've had to cut their prices due to competition. You can get (say) a packet of chicken breasts, a packet of pork chops and a packet of mince for €10.

I'd estimate that we spend €350 - 400 per month (there's 2 of us).

It's hard to tell though 'cause sometimes you'll have weeks/months where you have to buy the expensive stuff (toiletries/washing powder/dishwasher stuff).

I think the above is high and we could reduce it.

On average 150 euro a week for 4 adults during the week and 5 at the weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun)
I shop around locally- Lidls, supermarket for brands that Lidl don't stock but I like, local veggy shop and local butcher.

Your bill is quite high for two people. I have teenagers who often go off to get a chinese etc but they pay themselves from p/time jobs so I guess the cost does vary from family to family.

I estimate 100 a week - 2 of us - we could be cheaper but we like meat and buy expensive cuts like sirloin steak and turkey mince weekly.
We usually have 1 week a month where we spend almost 200, 1 week where we spend (almost)nothing and the other 2 around 100ish. (1 big shop a month).

Also the freezer has a lot in it and every 2 or 3 months or so I insist we finish whats in it before buying anything for it again so that would be a cheaper month meat-wise. It can lead to some boring weeks of chicken fillets and pork chops though!

That sounds good. Our food bill is usually €120 a week. 2 adults and I child (in nappies). I shop mainly Supervalu, Tesco for some deals and local butcher. Must look at it more closely now!

Had a quick peek beekeeper and they look good.:)
Ah but I live in a rural area and my craft butcher is high quality and wonderful value, the beef is reared locally.
Mr S positively salivates every time we drive past that field.;)

Ali from what I remember (fado fado),nappies were a killer in the weekly shop. You will notice a massive drop when you don't have to buy them anymore.

Thanks for the info guys and I should have been clearer with my question. Looking at the total shop inclusive of stuff like detergents, cosmetics etc..

Amazed to see EUR150 per week for 4 adults.. EUR600 is very good for that amount of people..

about 150-200 a week depends on what toiletries/nappies etc are needed I bulk buy non perishable items when on offer, we have 6mouths to feed and a dog....which reminds me I better go feed the dog :)

E 600 a week for 4?? I dont believe we have that much left over once we pay our bills:(
One wage, one on BTEA, one full time homemaker, a student and a weekender who eats with family, or eats out with friends at own expense.
E 150 pp per week is a lot in my opinion, and we eat well. No trash or 'pretend' meat' just good cuts of beef.
Mind you we were spending a hundred more 2 years ago, but I believe we shop better now because we put a bit more thought into it.

I'm down to one in the house at the moment. I bring all lunches to work, and rarely eat out now compared to few times a week previously.
I always watch out for specials on household stuff, toiletries, washing powders etc. I rarely have to buy them at full price and when there are a lot on special I only get very basics in shopping relying on store press.
I also go once every 10 days to 2 weeks now as opposed to weekly and find a saving, hit aldi for fruit and vey weekly but spend about 10 euro.
spend about 250 monthly this includes alcohol too - few bottles wine.

€250 a forthnight covers two adults and two kids. Just finished with formula but Nappies are a killer and I tend to pick them up in large quantities when they are on special. I also second the Dublin Meat Company reccomendation €10 for 10 Chicken Breasts €5 for 4 Pork Chops and plenty of specials. Use Tesco Online as it tends to keep you focused and not get "Trolly Tipsy" and load up on crap you don't need.

We spend about €55 a week for 2 adults, including all shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, deodorants, laundry detergents & softener, this is about €35 in Aldi and €20 in Tesco. My boyfriend would eat lunch every day in work and evening dinner in work a few days a week and there would not be much meat in that shopping amount. It includes lunch for me to bring to work every day. I buy lots of fruit and veg in Aldi esp the 79 cent offers.

I'm a bit sick reading the above amounts. I seem to spend €38 everytime I go into Superquinn for bread and milk! I went to my local Lidl last Friday for the first time and was very impressed. I was told they don't take cards so I asked the guyto keep sub totalling and let me know when he got to €130 as that's all the cash I had. Whole shop came to €92!!! About seven bags of groceries. I had to get over myself a bit with picking some of the stuff like cold meats as I didn't know the brands but I got Irish organic mince for €3.89 for 380g.

I'm a convert now and have to say the fruit and veg are the big success. Oh tomatoes that don't taste of water and apricots and cherries and their broccoli. My main problem at the moment is with the kids off school they seem to graze all day long - I can't keep them fed ( 3 boys) so I seem to be shopping daily. But I'm determined to get a handle on it after reading what others are spending.

A.

This topic got me thinking about a couple of things re: groceries

1) How many people have switched from the like sof M&S, Dunnes etc to Aldi/Lidl over the last year or two?

2) What % of all these groceries are thrown out compared to the 'good old days'? I remember once hearing that we used to throw out 25% of our food.

Back