Average grocery spend

Shopping bill:
Heres an easy way to remember to keep your shopping to a limit of approx. €150/month, it works for me anyway:
Firstly break down what you eat into the following (my examples are in italics, but use whatever you normally eat):

1. Breakfast - cereal & milk
2. Fruit - apples, oranges, bananas
3. Veg - carrots, celary, broculli
4. Lunch - Slice pan, sliced ham/turkey, Block of cheese
5. Dinner - meat & fish products
6. Dinner - Rice, pasta, spagetti, pepper/salt, flavourings etc
7. Snacks - Cream crackers, biscuits, yoghurts etc

If you remember each of the categories above, now also remember you have a maximum spend of €5/week on each category, equating to €35/week shopping spend, €157/month spend. You will save the other €7 on categories 6 & 7, bringing it back down to the €150/month.

When you think of Category 1 - Breakfast, the next time you go to the shop, you know your limit is €5/category, you see a LIDL museli for €2.50 & 2L of milk for €1.65, its €4.15, its less than my €5 spend a week.

The major problem is everyone goes into a foodstore, not knowing what they want, & not knowing what THE TOTAL COST before the cashier tells you, 'well that will be 201 euro & 35 cents please!!!

Open to criticism or any other thoughts, my few tips & suggestions

This is my monthly way of shopping which I posted recently in another thread, €150/month for one person.

I'm getting very stingy in my old age. It used to be that I'd be quite choosy who I'd accept the offer of a meal off - I mean just a casual "ah sure you can pop in on the way and have lunch" type thing rather than a proper slightly more formally organised event.

Nowadays though I take anything that's going - saves on money and preparing/washing up. This weekend, for the second time in about 5 weeks, it has worked out that we're not doing any cooking at all!

;)

has anyone else noticed that the butcher counter in Tesco is a lot cheaper than the prepacked meat?
eg last week i picked up a packet of 3 chicken breasts, €5. I walk across the eisle to the butcher counter, 3 chicken breasts €3.

i must be doing well, i spend €220 - 250 per month for groceries for 2 people. I find going to the butcher (as previously mentioned) for meat, Tesco/Superquinn for deals & Aldi/lidl for sweets & veg is the best combo.

PS. anybody else had the breakfast pack in Superquinn? 15 Sausages, 10 rashers & pudding for €5!

Back