Average Dress Size (Female)

Jane

Does anyone know what the average dress size is in Ireland? I know it's 16 in the UK, but I believe it's less here. Perhaps 14?

Thanks, J

but have you noticed how the manufacturer's have put a smaller size label on the same size clothing? eg, the measurements of a size 10 five years ago are now the measurements of a size 8 ... so an 'old' size 12 is the 'new' size 10 etc...

:(

Yep, I have definitely noticed that. In shops like River Island, Oasis etc, I still fit into size 10 trousers/bottoms - and I ain't the same size as I was 6 years ago when I also fitted perfectly into them! :(

Yep, I have definitely noticed that. In shops like River Island, Oasis etc, I still fit into size 10 trousers/bottoms - and I ain't the same size as I was 6 years ago when I also fitted perfectly into them! :(

Barley - at least you fit into a 10!!!! GET THAT FROWN OFF YER FACE!!!!:p

What bugs me is the way that shoe sizes seem to have increased as well. Although I'm of relatively normal height (5 6), I only take a 3 1/2 in a shoe which is just about possible to find. Over the last number of years the 3 1/2 has 'stretched' to become what used to be a 4 etc. and I'm permanently buying insoles

What bugs me is the way that shoe sizes seem to have increased as well. Although I'm of relatively normal height (5 6), I only take a 3 1/2 in a shoe which is just about possible to find. Over the last number of years the 3 1/2 has 'stretched' to become what used to be a 4 etc. and I'm permanently buying insoles

Haven't noticed the shoes but have definitely noticed the clothes. Today's size 10 is pretty close to what a 12 was 6 or 7 years ago.

In the US it's even worse though. I used to get 10 in the US 7 years ago but now I'm getting a 6! And I'm not shrinking.

And I thought my feet were shrinking!! I'm now a size 4 in shoes and I used to be a 5!

Today's size 10 is pretty close to what a 12 was 6 or 7 years ago
Still makes me feel good though to be able to put on a 10 - however I refuse to buy stuff when I am going to Thailand!!

does anyone not notice in river island, that a size 14 is a 12..
before the christmas i bought a top and a pair of shorts... both size 14.. and everyother top and trousers I have are a 10/12...
Didnt want to buy a size 14... but I loved them so when I went home I cut the tags off.....................

"Average Dress Size (Female)" as opposed to the "Average Dress Size (Male)" thread???? :p

Slap, actually mens close can be referred to as "dress" also, so that's why I had female in brackets. Dress, meaning clothes, not the frock !

Have you never heard of a dress shirt or dress pants??

is a dress pants ( male) like what David Beckham was wearing a few years back then? :D

This might answer the original question: When we buy a garment off the wholesalers or fashion houses we have to take a standard stack of each item which will consist of 1...size 8, 2...size 10 , 2.....size 12, 1....size 14, the 10s and 12s will always sell quicker.

Back