Average Dress Size (Female)

Jane

Does anyone know what the average dress size is in Ireland? I know it's 16 in the UK, but I believe it's less here. Perhaps 14?

Thanks, J

but have you noticed how the manufacturer's have put a smaller size label on the same size clothing? eg, the measurements of a size 10 five years ago are now the measurements of a size 8 ... so an 'old' size 12 is the 'new' size 10 etc...

Yep, I have definitely noticed that. In shops like River Island, Oasis etc, I still fit into size 10 trousers/bottoms - and I ain't the same size as I was 6 years ago when I also fitted perfectly into them!

Yep, I have definitely noticed that. In shops like River Island, Oasis etc, I still fit into size 10 trousers/bottoms - and I ain't the same size as I was 6 years ago when I also fitted perfectly into them!

Barley - at least you fit into a 10!!!! GET THAT FROWN OFF YER FACE!!!!

What bugs me is the way that shoe sizes seem to have increased as well. Although I'm of relatively normal height (5 6), I only take a 3 1/2 in a shoe which is just about possible to find. Over the last number of years the 3 1/2 has 'stretched' to become what used to be a 4 etc. and I'm permanently buying insoles

Haven't noticed the shoes but have definitely noticed the clothes. Today's size 10 is pretty close to what a 12 was 6 or 7 years ago.

In the US it's even worse though. I used to get 10 in the US 7 years ago but now I'm getting a 6! And I'm not shrinking.

And I thought my feet were shrinking!! I'm now a size 4 in shoes and I used to be a 5!

"Average Dress Size (Female)" as opposed to the "Average Dress Size (Male)" thread????

Today's size 10 is pretty close to what a 12 was 6 or 7 years ago
Still makes me feel good though to be able to put on a 10 - however I refuse to buy stuff when I am going to Thailand!!

does anyone not notice in river island, that a size 14 is a 12..
before the christmas i bought a top and a pair of shorts... both size 14.. and everyother top and trousers I have are a 10/12...
Didnt want to buy a size 14... but I loved them so when I went home I cut the tags off.....................

"Average Dress Size (Female)" as opposed to the "Average Dress Size (Male)" thread????

Slap, actually mens close can be referred to as "dress" also, so that's why I had female in brackets. Dress, meaning clothes, not the frock !

Have you never heard of a dress shirt or dress pants??

is a dress pants ( male) like what David Beckham was wearing a few years back then?

This might answer the original question: When we buy a garment off the wholesalers or fashion houses we have to take a standard stack of each item which will consist of 1...size 8, 2...size 10 , 2.....size 12, 1....size 14, the 10s and 12s will always sell quicker.