Average Apartment ESB Bill

wanderer

Hi,

Just interested in what the average ESB bill is for a 2 bed apartment.
Mine is around 150 yoyos per 2 months.

However, i've got friends in 3 bed houses with 3 kids and they ony pay around 80-90.

I've been switching off the water heater the last 2 months and only switching it on for about an hour a day to see if that made any difference, but was just slapped with a bill for 144 euros.

Doesn't make sense to me. Single person, all on me lonesome, no microwave etc. only stuff left on for extended periods are the TV & the PC.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

However, i've got friends in 3 bed houses with 3 kids and they ony pay around 80-90.

Find this very hard to believe.

There are a few previous threads on average ESB bills so if you run the search option you should be able to have a read through them.

Check out the many existing threads on electricity usage and checking bills. Basically you should monitor your meters to check that you bill is not incorrect (and not consistently (over)estimated either). If necessary you can get a plug in unit to monitor the electricity usage of individual plugged in applicances.

You don't make it clear what your heaviest loads are but I would guess water immersion, storage heaters (are you on Nightsaver for both of these?), clothes washer/drier (especially the drier!) if applicable, oven/cooker/fridge/kettle etc.

Not sure why you mention microwave but that would normally be a small part of a household's overall electricity usage.

Check out the ESB website (www.esb.ie) - there may be details of how much each appliance costs to run. Some time ago the ESB have sent out a leaflet with this info (enclosed with their bill). I find that the cooker & dryer are costly to run.

Our bills for a 2-bed apt are similar, last one I think was €145. Like yourself, the items most used are TV, PC & immersion.

First thing is to check the bill is actually correct, and how ESB are calculating it - ie; estimated or proper reading. You can do your own reading, compare, and then submit it to ESB.

After 12 months the ESB still hadnt read my meter, and my bill was €120+ (2bed apartment, 1 person), after submitting my reading I was €250 in credit with them.

I live in 3 bed house and no joking our lowest bill was €48e and highest was €80. We use our electric oven and washing machine regularly but I refuse to use a dishwasher or dryer. We simply have absolutely nothing on standby when we go to bed at night.

I live in a 2 bed duplex - and our ESB bill for Feb & March was 206euro! It was mainly because of the storage heating (although we only ever used the one in the sitting rm). We stopped using the storgae heating in April, and the next bill was 80euro for 2 months. Now the biggest user is the immersion. We are on night saver and don't use dishwasher or dryer, and we're fairly good at turning off things when we aren't using them!

Eims

Storage heaters chew electricity as they are on all of the time , during the night they are on to store the heat and then let it out during the day.
Builders save money on not having to use a plumber in fact no plumbing at all in relation to heating- no radiators- piping no boiler. Cheap for the builder
but costs the apartment dweller a fortune. If you had central heating/gas
it would be a lot cheaper, gas + electric.

Storage heaters chew electricity as they are on all of the time
Not true - if properly installed they only use electricity at night on the Nightsaver rate. They charge up and store the heat for release during the day. Admittedly this storage/release mechanism is crude and doesn't offer much flexibility. I think that you are confusing the fact that they may be hot all/most of the time with them actually using electricity. They may be switched on all of the time but they only charge at night. Dual mode storage and convection heaters have a convection heater that can be operated separately on demand. As a user I agree that there are probably more economical options.

I live in a 1 bed with my boyfriend in winter our bills can be as high as €197 - €220, summertine they're usually €80 - €90, we blame the storage heater in winter :(

Every month or two months?

You should not need to guess where the electricity is being used. Your bill should give a breakdown of day and night units used. If you want to dig deeper then you can monitor the meter and individual loads (or simply switch them off for one period of 24 hours and on for another and check the difference) to get an idea of where most electricity is being used. Where night rate immersion and/or storage heaters are used then these will most likely be the major loads especially in winter.

Hey i know how you feel
our last bill was 170, this time it was 149. we live in a 2 bed duplex. use 1 storage heater a few times a week to dry the clothes, put the wash on at nite as we use nightsaver and also have the immersion timed for an hour during the nightsaver. we are not there from 8-6 but we cook every nite. my parents have a 4000sq ft house and pay about 120 every 2 months and they have radios, tv, kettle, cooker, recessed lights etc going all day long? does nt make sense.
i checked to see if our bill was an estimate bill but it doesnt look like it??

use 1 storage heater a few times a week to dry the clothes,
You mean you switch it on to charge overnight and then dry the clothes when it's warm and then switch it off before the next nightly charging cycle? Or do you mean that you stick the built in convection part which uses full rate electricity during the day?
put the wash on at nite as we use nightsaver
Not a good idea from a safety point of view to put such appliances on at night or when leaving the house.
does nt make sense.
As I mentioned above and in several other similar threads it's not rocket science but may take a little effort to find out exactly where the electricity is being used.

Back