Avantcard Cashback €144 per year - New & existing customers

Chuckey

Hi all,

I spotted this in the Bargain Alerts thread of boards.ie

I have a MBNA gold card for the last 15+ years. (now avantcard)
Thread says that
  • "The cashback can apply to existing customers, you just need to call them to sign up +353 71 959 4040."

I wonder if there are any downsides to switching?

Obviously, I'd want to keep my credit limit etc.

Thread also says that account number of new card will be issued.

FAQ is here
[broken link removed]

Has anyone else looked into this?

C.

Check whether there is a minimum spend before you actually get the cash back. I tried a different scheme with that crowd before where you get X% back if you use your Avantcard card via Avantages and use certain merchants. I noticed I wasn’t getting any cash back onto my account and when I read the conditions it said I had to spend a minimum monthly amount on the card to avail of the cash refund. It was not worth the hassle so I gave up.

No minimum spend with Avantcard. I was an existing customer (MBNA) who switched to the reward+ account 2 years ago. Averaged about €10 a month cashback over that period. Not bad for a phonecall. Card and account stayed the same for me.

Depending on your annual spend the AIB card may be a better offer but Avant are a strong second place - especially as an existing customer.

Have a look at the other thread running here on Askaboutmoney.com, about Avantcard.

Be aware of the fact that you don't actually have a gold card anymore - regardless of what physical card you hold, they told me that they discontinued all gold and platinum cards a few years ago, and that they had advised all customers that they were no longer providing some of the perks, from the old platinum and gold cards. I personally never got any notification, and they've failed to evidence the so called communication that they say they sent out.

If you swap over to their Rewards card, make sure they set the interest rate that's advertised for that card - they failed to do so, when they swapped me over, and now claim that they can only do it for 6 months at a time, then review.

Personally, I think they've gone down hill rapidly, since Avantcard took over MBNA, and particularly, in the last couple of years.

I'm actually on the verge of leaving them, tbh. I don't like the way they appear to be doing business - one too many "issues", to put it politely.

Have a look at the other thread running here on Askaboutmoney.com, about Avantcard.

Be aware of the fact that you don't actually have a gold card anymore - regardless of what physical card you hold, they told me that they discontinued all gold and platinum cards a few years ago, and that they had advised all customers that they were no longer providing some of the perks, from the old platinum and gold cards. I personally never got any notification, and they've failed to evidence the so called communication that they say they sent out.

If you swap over to their Rewards card, make sure they set the interest rate that's advertised for that card - they failed to do so, when they swapped me over, and now claim that they can only do it for 6 months at a time, then review.

Personally, I think they've gone down hill rapidly, since Avantcard took over MBNA, and particularly, in the last couple of years.

I'm actually on the verge of leaving them, tbh. I don't like the way they appear to be doing business - one too many "issues", to put it politely.
Thanks MrEarl. That's very interesting.
Yes, I do have a physical Avantcard that says "gold" on the front. I never really took any notice of the gold perks. I always pay the card in full every month, so the interest rate doesn't really bother me. I don't recall any correspondence about a discontinuation of the gold status.

I have a high (10k) limit on the card, which is reassuring for emergencies. I've heard that it's difficult to get limits like that nowadays, but perhaps not.

I'll take a look at the other thread you mentioned

C.

No minimum spend with Avantcard. I was an existing customer (MBNA) who switched to the reward+ account 2 years ago. Averaged about €10 a month cashback over that period. Not bad for a phonecall. Card and account stayed the same for me.

Depending on your annual spend the AIB card may be a better offer but Avant are a strong second place - especially as an existing customer.
€10 a month sounds good :)
Did you notice any downsides to switching over to Reward+ from the "old" account?

C.

I have a high (10k) limit on the card, which is reassuring for emergencies. I've heard that it's difficult to get limits like that nowadays, but perhaps not.
Avant approved a new card for me with a 10k limit this week - not sure what the required monthly/annual income for that is though.

My husband switched to the Avant card with cash back a couple of years ago and kept his €15000 limit (I'd say we'd struggle to get a card with a €500 limit now!).

One thing to note is that the cashback is limited to (I think) retail and entertainment spending only, which I presume excludes travel, subscriptions, etc.

I switched my AIB card to their cashback when it came out, also kept my €5000 limit, when I rang them as an existing cardholder to change it and said that I didn't earn anything like their limit they said it was no problem. We generally have a business-related expense of about €3000 in January so that covers most of the €5000 before the cashback kicks in.

Between us we get about €10-15 a month, better in our pockets anyway. We also pay them all off before interest kicks in so only costs the stamp duty. We also use them for practically everything so our bank fees are limited to a couple of DD fees a month rather than paying for each utility, etc, separately.

€10 a month sounds good :)
Did you notice any downsides to switching over to Reward+ from the "old" account?

C.

Not a thing. A 10 minute phonecall, they pushed some buttons their side. No changes my side (same card same account etc.). Only difference for me was my bill was a €6.25 smaller at the end of that first month.

Conjecture on my part but I even think they counted the whole first month and not just the period after i switched.

I just wanted to give an update on this Avantcard cashback feature.

I signed up in early August 2021.
Cashback credit amount each at the end of each month since:
Aug 10.23
Sep: 6.49
Oct: 5.13
Nov: 12.00
Dec: 11.20

So that's over 45 euro in 5 months for a 2 minute phone call - as I was an existing customer.
I expect it will be around 80 euro for the year - more than covering the annual Government tax.
It's more money than my Irish deposit accounts earned in interest this year - LOL
As another poster mentioned, it's mostly rewards for entertainment related charges.

Thanks to the OP over on boards.
C.

Hi all,

I spotted this in the Bargain Alerts thread of boards.ie

I have a MBNA gold card for the last 15+ years. (now avantcard)
Thread says that
  • "The cashback can apply to existing customers, you just need to call them to sign up +353 71 959 4040."

I wonder if there are any downsides to switching?
Obviously, I'd want to keep my credit limit etc.

Thread also says that account number of new card will be issued.

FAQ is here
[broken link removed]

Has anyone else looked into this?

C.
Thank you. I just contacted Avantcard and they switched me over to the cash back card. Same number, same card etc. 12 euro cashback per month applied. Great for a quick phone call.

This one?

@paulhynes I can't find it either.

Joined mid-November, got €12.00 cashback on 31st December. Nothing credited 31st January.

Have they dropped it on the sly? It's not a good show if they have.

Update: €12 cashback finally showing this evening. No idea how they work the date out 02/02, but someone on boards said it wasn't due until today.

I cancelled my card today. Too unreliable and too many mistakes
Can you elaborate what you mean? Does the card not work on occasion? is there a problem with the transactions showing up correctly?
just got an Avant credit card two weeks ago and so far it does what it says on the tin.

Back