Austria's Mandatory Vaccines and similar measures

Status
Not open for further replies.

odyssey06

It is being reported that Austria will bring in mandatory vaccines in early 2022 - not sure of the exact details on implementation.
This comes on foot of regional lockdowns for unvaccinated there.

Discussion of measures to compel \ encourage vaccination has been discussed in other threads, but I thought it made sense to create this new thread for such a development where wider discussion of such measures could be discussed.

It is being reported that Austria will bring in mandatory vaccines in early 2022 - not sure of the exact details on implementation.
This comes on foot of regional lockdowns for unvaccinated there.

Discussion of measures to compel \ encourage vaccination has been discussed in other threads, but I thought it made sense to create this new thread for such a development where wider discussion of such measures could be discussed.

They like Germany and other surrounding countries are approximately only 67% of adults vaccinated.

It will interesting to see what the effects of the initial lockdown is and if it has a positive effect on infections.

They are also introducing " mandatory " vaccinations I believe they have set February as the deadline.

They like Germany and other surrounding countries are approximately only 67% of adults vaccinated.

It will interesting to see what the effects of the initial lockdown is and if it has a positive effect on infections.

They are also introducing " mandatory " vaccinations I believe they have set February as the deadline.
If it proves successful then it might be implemented here ...

Mask wearing is still essential. Restaurants and pubs can should ensure that patrons are wearing them when not seated. If a venue cannot ensure this then it shouldn't be open.

You would think the likes of house arrest for the unvaccinated or mandatory vaccination would be something that only happens in China or some other totalitarian state. I am entirely opposed to such. I hope even those most enthusiastic about vaccination here would oppose mandatory vaccination, though I expect that many would support it. I think it would be a huge mistake.

I wonder whether forced medical treatment for adults of sound mind is compliant with European human rights law (legal opinions seem to differ). I'm strongly pro-vaccination and can't wait to get my booster shot but the idea that the state could force ordinary citizens to inject something into their bodies they don't want is repellent and reeks of fascism.

Last edited:
I wonder whether forced medical treatment for adults of sound mind is compliant with European human rights law (legal opinions seem to differ). I'm strongly pro-vaccination and can't wait to get my booster shot but the idea that the state could force ordinary citizens to inject something into their bodies they don't want is repellent and reeks of fascism.
Or the other view is that despite having a vaccine for over 12 months against a virus that is proven to kill those elderly and vulnerable in our society but a cohort simply refuse to be part of a strategy to protect them.
Additionally that cohort are now filling up hospital beds right across Europe that once again will lead to postponement of critical medical care for those who need it and will probably cause more unnecessary suffering and death.

The decision not to get vaccinated also puts nurses and doctors right back into danger.

The decision not to get vaccinated is a personal choice, but choices have consequences and mandatory vaccination is now becoming a tool that Governments are going to use to persuade those to get vaccinated, if not for themselves but for their fellow citizens.

We know from extensive studies that side effects are minimal.

This is not Fascism

Last edited:
France has long standing laws for the mandatory vaccination of children, regardless of the wishes of parents.
As does multiple other EU countries.
The ECHR ruled that:
Compulsory vaccines can be seen as "necessary in a democratic society," the Strasbourg-based court said in its ruling, which came on a 16-1 vote.

It is authoritarian \ the state knows best, but seems far from fascism when you consider in the 1930s that Germany ended all supports for state vaccinations... survival of the fittest and all that.

Reactions: Leo
laws for the mandatory vaccination of children, regardless of the wishes of parents.
I don't object to that as children cannot make informed decisions and are not their parents' property. Forcing adults is a completely different story.

I don't object to that as children cannot make informed decisions and are not their parents' property. Forcing adults is a completely different story.
Who's forcing the people have had a choice for almost 12 months to either get vaccinated or not.
Those who didn't, for whatever reason, now have to face the consequences of their decision.

Who's forcing the people have had a choice for almost 12 months to either get vaccinated or not.
Those who didn't, for whatever reason, now have to face the consequences of their decision.
Well the Austrians seem to be going down that route ... I wonder if they will be an outlier or we will see other countries follow their lead.

Well the Austrians seem to be going down that route ... I wonder if they will be an outlier or we will see other countries follow their lead.
Apparently Germany, and the Netherlands are also considering this according to various reports.
I'm certainly not in full agreement with this but I can see a point of view.

You simply cannot have a cohort within a population that can cause harm to others. Mandatory vaccines maybe extreme but the solution is simple.

Apparently Germany, and the Netherlands are also considering this according to various reports.
I'm certainly not in full agreement with this but I can see a point of view.

You simply cannot have a cohort within a population that can cause harm to others. Mandatory vaccines maybe extreme but the solution is simple.
In some EU countries you can be fired at will if not vaccinated \ it's a condition of employment.

You don't even need to go for 'mandatory vaccines', just make it a requirement for employment, or to access state benefits and/or services.

Most vaccine sceptics are well-meaning and capable of rational behaviour and they will respond positively if their concerns are dealt with in a way that doesn't come across and bullying or patronising or driven by moral panic. Doing some random browsing I came across a nice example (link below). This caters primarily to the concerns of one particular group (the Muslim community in Britain), but the general format could be adapted to other target groups and their specific concerns: https://britishima.org/operation-vaccination/hub/covidmyths/#MHAR1

Last edited:
Most vaccine sceptics are well-meaning and capable of rational behaviour and they will respond positively if their concerns are dealt with in a way that doesn't come across and bullying or patronising or driven by moral panic. Doing some random browsing I came across a nice example (link below). This caters primarily to the concerns of one particular group (the Muslim community in Britain), but the general format could be adapted to other target groups and their specific concerns: https://britishima.org/operation-vaccination/hub/covidmyths/#MHAR1
Then why haven't they come forward in the last year if they are well meaning?

Most European vaccine sceptics are right wing groups and as Rotterdam showed last light.

Why are most European countries less than 70% adult vaccinated? It's a question that nobody answers or has an answer.

These people are putting lives , including their own , at risk.They will also cause more economic problems, they are the part of the problem , and while vaccines takes care for the majority they need to be isolated or told to get the vaccine or face the consequences.

Fair minded...........absolutely not.

There was an interview on BBC this morning with an Austrian journalist and she said the Austrians have been historically vaccine skeptics with only 10% taking the flu vaccine every year.

She said the Government did well initially in getting people to come forward for vaccination but it soon slowed and right wing groups like the freedom party began to become more vocal, these groups litter Europe, and vaccination rates began to slow.

She went on to say that Austria is not an outlier as France, Hungary and other countries have mandatory vaccination for other diseases, for decades.

We managed to get 90% of over 12's vaccinated on a voluntary basis. I suspect that a mandatory programme would have done less well and resulted in civil disobedience if not civil unrest. While I am fully vaccinated and will take the booster when offered, I would not have taken the vaccine had it been mandatory.

Last edited:
Part of the problem is that Austria is a federation with 9 federations and health services are run by the federations (a bit like Germany). In 7 or 8 of the federations, right wing parties are in control and dropped mask mandates and played down the virus - usual stuff... "it's all over - now get back to normal". The exception is Vienna which kept up standard mitigations and now has the lowest incidence rates.

I think it highlights that basic mitigations like masks will need to be kept for a good while

Parts of Germany have introduced legislation that unvaccinated employees will not be entitled to any wage/payments during times they are off work due to quarantining as a result of being close contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back