Areas in Co.Donegal - to buy in - to avoid...?

Re: Areas in Co.Donegal - to buy in - to avoid...??

Hope you didn't take me up wrong podd - just trying to get a sense of where exactly you were looking at or what kind of property as Donegal is a pretty big county.

Donegal is beautiful, but then I'm biased I grew up there many years ago and still go back regularly but not much work around but people seem to be able to make a living. Lots of new houses going up in the southern part of the county. I just love it. Good luck with the house hunting.

Can I clarify one thing-is Podd looking at Donegal from an investment point of view or as an owner occupier?

Killygordon

Do any of you guys know a place called Killygordon, which I think is around that part of the country?

A couple I know who are hoping to buy a house for themselves asked if I knew it, but I don't think I've really heard of it before.

It is in east Donegal, not far from Ballybofey. Donegal Creameries have some plant there. Not much else to it.

Note that this is a Propery Investment thread.

Re: Killygordon

ok, thank you

Just hadn't heard of the town before.

They had asked me if it was an ok place to live, and if there might be any problems there they should know about; but it sounds just like any other little Donegal town.

It's not a town-it's a village. Their football team were a bunch of thugs when I was growing up, other than that I don't know much about the place.

Podd,

People who are investing in Donegal are predominantly investing in Letterkenny as this is the largest town. Personally, I feel that there is an oversupply of houses in Letterkenny at present. However, saying that if you are investing to rent, then you will still manage to get a house rented but it might take 2 to 3 weeks. The rents are also lower which is reflected in the lower purchase price. On average you would be looking at rent of Eur550-600 per month for a 3 bed house up to Eur720 for a 4/5 bed.
SW Donegal has been dealt significant job losses over the past few years with Abbotts and Magees in Donegal town and major loss of fishing jobs in Killybegs. However, things can only improve and for this reason, i think that this is a good area to invest-in for capital appreciation purposes but NOT necessarily for rental purposes.

Podd

Convoy is growing as a satellite town for Letterkenny as is Ballybofey and Stranorlar - lots of new estates. Tescos just got planning permission for new store at Ballybofey. Very hard to move property at the middle to upper end secondhand. Castlefin is improving but its location at the border is hampering that. Anywhere along the coast is gold in terms of holiday homes and development. Most areas that are popular with NI holidaymakers have been ruined. One or two quieter areas still survive but are very expensive.

slim

Slim,

have you heard why it's very hard to move property at the middle to upper end of the secondhand market?

Is the Tescos one of the small quicki-mart size shops (Spar size), or a full size Tesco store?

Yes Letterkenny seems the place with rental for 3 bed @150-00 a week

Gweedore might be the next big thing as I see that there are ambitious plans afoot to create a proper centre to the area :shops, tourist places,restuarants etc.Several million earmarked for the project.Rathmullen might be worth a look too.Dunfanaghy is too dear already.

Back