Areas in Co.Donegal - to buy in - to avoid...?

podd

Which areas of Co.Donegal are most people investing in at the moment?

And which areas of Co.Donegal are most avoiding?

Thanks...!!

Re: Areas in Co.Donegal - to buy in - to avoid...??

Most people are not investing in Donegal, as far as I can see!

Letterkenny is the only town with a reasonably active property market and significant inward migration, although it's nice to see that some of the near-abandoned villages in SW Donegal such as Mountcharles and Dunkineely are also being repopulated by immigrants.

Planning compliance (and enforcement) in Donegal is appalling so if you're buying anything, especially a one-off, try to check the original planning application carefully before you get too involved with the solicitors.

The Dunfanaghy area is very popular and indications are that new development will be curbed in the coming years. Very popular with the Yellow Reg Brigade.

I find it amazing that there has been so much development in Letterkenny-there appears to me to be little to attract people to the area in terms of employment prospects and LYIT finds it harder and harder to attract students each year. I say this as someone who is now a Letterkenny ex-pat.

When you look at relative prices and recent growth, prices may appear atractive, but there are good reasons for that (infrastructure, higher than average unemployment and lower disposable incomes etc.)

I'm more familiar with the SW Donegal area. A couple of observations...

Properties there tend to stay a long time on the market. Often the asking price will be unrealistic at first, what's happened in the past while is that the market has eventually caught up with the asking price (after, say, a year or so.) Vendors seem reluctant to negotiate downwards, they seem to prefer to wait.

Estate Agents in Donegal seem to operate an informal Multiple Listing Service - if a property is on the market it sometimes seems any Agent can get you a viewing. That's a good thing, because if you're out viewing properties with one agent he or she can usually arrange to get you in to a property on someone else's books. If only it were like that in all areas!

The market is definitely skewed towards new builds, so you can often find excellent prices (comparatively speaking) for older houses. Especially in villages or small towns. The locals are rarely interested in these.

for investment try near Ballyliffen, really booming at minute with golf club there, high summer rents available esp also lots of weekend rentals all year round as 4 or so hotels all booked nearly year round for weddings, not great for long term tenants though - hit or miss

Thanks for all the info...!!

I'm not really up on all the lingo... what's the Yellow Reg Brigade?

And what about areas near Strabane, but still in Co.Donegal...?

Anyone know much about this area?

That area is within commuting distance of Letterkenny, Derry City, Strabane, and perhaps Omagh...

I don't think much of the Strabane/Lifford area-certainly not for investment purposes.

Yellow Reg Brigade-my own personal slang for those who live in the six counties and have their cars registered as such. Note that I am not trying to be offensive.

I think most visitors from the six counties prefer seaside locations. In fact Bundoran couldn't survive without this trade.

Never been to Ballyliffen. But Dunfanaghy is completely overbuilt with holiday homes, no?

Have you ever been around the Redcastle area, on the Lough Foyle coast?

Any info about that area...?

Podd,

My own belief is that Donegal Town is a certainty in Co. Donegal. Currently a lot of commercial / retail planning applications in train - granted there has been problems with objections primarily due to narrow minded people.
I think once these applications are approved the area will develop to its true potential. Plus Government decentralisation???
The town is in a great location - 20/25 mins Leterkenny, 40mins Derry, 30/35 mins Sligo. Always been a good tourist destination during summer months.
Hopefully the government will do a good job and bring in some multinational to replace Abbotts.
Mark my words, if managed properly Donegal Town will be a vibrant town within 4-7 years.
I believe the area has got everything going for it.

I would say you would be pushing it to make Letterkenny in 20-25 minutes and Derry in 40 minutes from Donegal Town.

Donegal Town-Letterkenny is 30 miles
Donegal Town-Derry is 60 miles

We don't have motorways in Donegal.

CCOVICH,
Give r take. Durations qouted were "Donegal" durations, if u know what I mean!!!!
By-pass planned for Ballybofey/Starnorlar I believe.

This is why I wonder if the area just west of Strabane, not neccessarily Lifford there's other villages around there such as Ballybofey and Convoy, would be up & coming places...

They're within 30 mins to Letterkenny, Derry City, Strabane, Donegal Town, and Omagh.

Convoy is definitely not up and coming, and I don't know of any other villages that are desirable.

Ballybofey is a traffic nightmare, and I don't know of any major developments planned for the town, barring a bypass.

I don't know of many NI people actually living/renting in Donegal and commuting to NI.

Thanks CCOVICH

Although they mightn't be up & coming areas, do you know if either Convoy or Castlefinn villages have any sort of negative image in any way?

Or are they just quiet villages?

What exactly are you hoping to do, podd? Do you know these areas yourself? Nothing better than driving around and taking a look!

No I don't know the area...that's why I was asking CCOVICH as he/she does appear to know the area...

Nothing wrong with asking a couple of questions to someone who does know the area...

Back