Are we becoming a nation of Begrudgers?

MANTO

So called Celtic Tiger...
Everybody loving life....

Recession hit...

Maybe its just me but i am sick and tired of people commenting about others actions..

Oh look at them going on holiday in a recession
Oh look at them buying a new wardrobe in a recession

and so on...

Rant over.

I think this is all driven by the public sector/private sector antagonism that has been manufactured and promoted by the media, the government, IBEC and others. People in the Private Sector, seeing public servants objecting to pay cuts get annoyed when they see a teacher or civil servant going on holidays or getting a new kitchen. Public Servants, constantly hearing how everyone in the private sector is losing their job or taking pay cuts get fed up when they see a private sector worker buying a new car or taking the kids to Disneyland. Basically, we all think the 'other side' is lying through their teeth about their circumstances and this is 'proof' that they're better off than they are letting on.

Sounds about right Liaconn.

...public sector/private sector antagonism that has been manufactured and promoted by the media, the government, IBEC and others.

Apart from that part which I don't agree with.

But I think the Irish are begrudgers anyway and don't need an excuse or particular circumstances.

This morning my sister in law and her husband jetted off to spend Christmas in Florida. He's in the ESB.

Whether jealousy or begrudgery, I sure feel something.

I don't understand this begrudgery business - if someone works hard and chooses to spend their money on a holiday or a car, all I can say is more power to them.

A friend of mine got a new 5 series BMW for Christmas with customised number plate during the Celtic Tiger years. She has 5 sisters who aren't as well off as she is. She and her husband have worked extremely hard for what they have and nothing was handed to them on a plate.

Not one of the sisters congratulated her on the car and said good luck with it. She's not the type of person to rub anyone's nose in it either. Just plain begrudgery.

I think I got a box of Ferrero Rocher that year :rolleyes:, but I went for a spin in the car, told her it was great and best of luck with it.

I got my new Car in March 09 and have had some nasty comments and random people cutting me up, sticking up fingers etc.. I had a couple of new cars during the Celtic Tiger years, but this is the first time I have had negative feedback. Have also had comments like, its well for you being able to get that, no recession in your house, etc.

A friend got an 09 small jeep and parked it in a shopping centre undergound car park and when he came back someone had got a key and swirled millions of circles on the bonnet. It was absolutely destroyed. So much so, I became paranoid about parking the stupid car anywhere.

Have had begrudger type comments about a holiday I had, about clothes I bought and about other things.

I am lucky that I have a job and I am going to keep living as normal, until my job goes. If people dont do that, the country will never get back on its feet. If my job goes, and it could, then I will just have to do something else.

Having said that, I did comment about no recession myself today and had a mini rant to myself, because I could not get past Liffey Valley Shopping Centre with the amount of people in the car park. They seem to be spending too.

I agree with first poster... sick to death of it and it actually has caused a good optimistic person (ME) start to slip into depression and worry... Why? Because of other people around me... can I add most of these people are working and getting good wages! I was made redundant end of Nov and I have a pain in my butt with people asking me "when are you getting a job"... eh hello I am actually out of work 23 days now, thats all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have worked for 14 yrs so I am taken a break, to get my head together, to enjoy some time with my family and to SLOW down for a little while. To exercise more, find myself again and not be part of the rat race for a couple of months. Of course I can see their point in some regards, as I mean its not as if I can just go on like this forever, but for now, I am comfortable with money, very clever with savings and redundancy money and I can make it last.. I am not rushing out spending, I am just using the FREE time to enjoy my life and stop rushing... but people JUST dont get it!!!

Tarfhead - Fair play to your sister!!!! Only I wouldnt leave immediate family for xmas I would be gone too!!! two weeks of relaxing away from this cold ! if you have it SPENT it people and maybe this country will get back to the "good ole days"

The Irish begrudgery that we all experience is part of the psyche of being irish, where the blatant unfairness that is built into our society by various concessions given to the few wealthy or well connected in law, taxation, influence, unions promotional prospects etc , insert a suspicion that the success being achieved by the begrudgee must have entailed some exploitation or receiving of favours, backhanders etc. When a proper hardworking individual does achieve success or perceived success they unfortunately get lumped in with the same strata of the population. Unfortunately the begrudgers can't aim it at the right people. Who here wouldn't begrudge michael fingletons pension and bonus arrangements? or lax approaches to planning,or bringing the churches to account, or the taoiseach being paid more than most world leaders? The list is endless and so is the begrudgery.

Fair play to you Bondgirl, that's the right attitude to have, touch wood the recession hasn't hit us in a major way, I work in public sector and husband works in private sector, yes we've taken a pay cut which has ment we're down about €120 per week but we've cut down on our spending accordingly, and yes we alse get the digs from "friends" etc about how our lifestyle hasn't changed but as the saying goes "f$ck the begrudgers".

I think it's almost impossible to fully get across the notion of Irish begrudgery to anyone who didn't grow up in a rural setting. I could write a book on it.

I got my new Car in March 09 and have had some nasty comments and random people cutting me up, sticking up fingers etc.. I had a couple of new cars during the Celtic Tiger years, but this is the first time I have had negative feedback.

In the Times at the start of the year in the whats hot & not column - whats not is to buy a 09 car ???!!!

So the people who worked their asses off for the last few years and bought a car or whatever were/are now supposed to show some consideration for those who squandered their moolah and have little to show for it >>>

<I>"Are we becoming a nation of Begrudgers?"</I>

OP is a bit slow then

"we" have been a nation of Begrudgers for many decades

I find that the same people who drank loads on nights out etc, and squandered their money can be very snide when others who don't really drink go on nice hols and change their car. It seems the only acceptable way to spend money is going to the pub & getting langers.

Are anyone's parents among the begrudgers??

I am 37, am on mat leave and took a few wks unpaid. My parents particularly my father made a big deal of it. The begrudgery is unreal. My husband and I are civil servants. I only earn 500 gross a week, so by the time I have childminder paid and parking etc, I won't get loads of money by going back to work.

Also when I was made redundant from previous job 3 yrs ago, my mother was continually worried on my behalf about trying to get something else immediately. This was despite the fact that I had my own house rented out, was living in DH house and had some modest savings. Oh as well as having worked full time since I was 21 and part time since I was 14!!!

I thing people hate to see anyone enjoying life or being a happy person, not to mind others having more things. The flip side is that people would be inclined to look down on you if you had a small house, drove a broken down car and dressed shabbily. The begrudgers would not want to associate with you as they would think you had nothing!!!

Back