Are we becoming a nation of Begrudgers?

We did that last Saturday, in freezing temperatures, I though it would be too cold to do but I had to take off my coat the work made me so hot. Only real exercise I got as I don't like cycling or walking in cold weather.

I put down salt for the pedestrains and have swept it after freezes etc since and put down more salt. If people don't have snow boots they can put a pair of large socks over their shoes to prevent slipping.

I heard a Minister on the radio saying that people who cleared paths would not be liable if someone fell.

Did the same myself and also cleared the path to the door, great exercise. John Gormly was the minister in question BTW

I grew up on top of a mountain in the middle on nowhere, we got snowed in on average every 4 years, we never expected the council to grit our roads, we just got on with life. I just think the Celtic Tiger softies have unrealistic expectations. If you want your footpaths gritted, it costs money and the councils don't have it and if taxes were raised to pay for things like this, the same people would be on the whine line or txting radio shows moaning about taxes going up. Some people are never happy.

. John Gormly was the minister in question BTW

So there's the defense to the neighbours broken foot claim, the Minister said I wasn't liable for any accident caused by my clearing snow and ice. He wasn't too hot in relation to who would/could be sued and who would pay for injuries in private estates though.

I've seen people walking on the ice in high heels and flat pumps with no grip. If they fall and break their leg they would have some cheek to go looking for someone to sue.

I think this is part of the problem. People have to adapt - as alluded to in the other 'overreaction' thread.

There is a culture of "I want and I want it now and I deserve it". People seem to expect to be able to continue their lives exactly in the way they want with no changes or allowances, regardless of the weather - or any other circumstances. If it's cold, people should wrap up more warmly, obviously wear sensible footwear, make alternative arrangements for getting to work etc

But instead it's "no way am I going to work because I want to use my car and I can't; why am I so cold; why do I keep slipping; whose fault is it and who can I claim against?"

So there's the defense to the neighbours broken foot claim, the Minister said I wasn't liable for any accident caused by my clearing snow and ice. He wasn't too hot in relation to who would/could be sued and who would pay for injuries in private estates though.

Sensible guidance from IOSH UK is interesting here, given that our legal systems are quite similar.

http://www.iosh.co.uk/news_and_events/news/latest_member_news/iosh_gritting_guidance.aspx

What generation is that then? It seems to be older people who do most of the moaning and whinging, nobody I know under thirty goes in for much bitching about the government and all, or for that matter for much begrudgery. Its the 40+ generation that seem to be the driving force there.....

That's because the under 40s are generally 'under the influence' or 'off their heads' and don't get round to complaining.

Becoming begrudgers...made me smile! Well that has been here way before the Celtic Tiger was even a cub.

You only have to listen to that insufferable Joe Duffy programme to see that this country is packed full of crying gits.

What generation is that then? Its the 40+ generation that seem to be the driving force there.....

I don't agree with this at all, I believe it's endemic in Irish adults from any age and it is passed from one generation to the next in one form or another.

Buzybee ... Also when I was made redundant from previous job 3 yrs ago, my mother was continually worried on my behalf about trying to get something else immediately. This was despite the fact that I had my own house rented out... wow You sound as if you have a lot to worry about! if thats your problems ... I would hate to listen to you when some real life crisis arrises. Made me feel uneasy and worried about the world we now live in when I read this tripe. Sorry in advance.

Buzybee ... Also when I was made redundant from previous job 3 yrs ago, my mother was continually worried on my behalf about trying to get something else immediately. This was despite the fact that I had my own house rented out... wow You sound as if you have a lot to worry about! if thats your problems ... I would hate to listen to you when some real life crisis arrises. Made me feel uneasy and worried about the world we now live in when I read this tripe. Sorry in advance.

Think you've missed the point - buzzybee was talking about her parent's attitude, not saying that she herself had problems!

Back