Health Insurance Are health insurers obliged to notify you of reductions to the cover provided?

Some thoughts ;

1. You may have covered this already but remember that insurance contracts fall in to that species known as contracts uberrima fides - utmost good faith. In essence, that means that in addition to the strict requirements in relation to matters arising prior to formation of the contract there is a concurrent and overarching obligation to deal honestly and openly. That obligation cuts both ways as between the contracting parties.

2. Is a health insurance policy an annual contract only ? I think it is as it operates for 12 month periods only just like a house insurance policy. If so, the renewal notice and accompanying documentation are the materials that form the basis of the next contract (effective from next renewal date) and you will be effectively deemed to have read and accepted those terms if you proceed to renew even if it is an automatic renewal. It is a real "buyer beware" and "be sure you read the small print first" situation. IMHO this is not always reasonable from a consumer perspective where a customer is expected to read and understand every fine detail of an insurance contract which can be dauntingly incomprehensible to the average reasonable person. Strictly speaking, if you renew you have agreed the terms but I would have expected significant changes in the forthcoming contract period to be drawn to the customer's attention.

An example of the preceding problem. My mother had her house insured with company X. Cover was written on an accidental damage basis and had been so renewed previously. Fortunately, I chanced to look at the renewal notice and saw that accidental damage cover had simply been deleted with no notice drawn to that. I challenged them and they said that it was not a mistake. I made a fuss and they agreed to renew with accidental damage cover reinstated for the quoted premium.

3. Would the Health Insurance Authority be of any assistance to you in terms of further information ? Link https://www.hia.ie/

Back