Are Gardai entitled to free public transport?

What kind of message does it send out to ordinary people, one law for them and one law for us. Disgraceful.

thats the way its always been since as long as i can remember....cant see it changing anytime soon im afraid.

My boyfriend is a Guard and has never availed of any of these "perks" and nor do any of his colleagues that he knows of - I'm not saying it doesn't happen just that it may not be that widespread within the Guards.

Gardai are entitled to use public transport free of charge when they are on duty.

Legally speaking, there is no such thing as an "off duty Garda". If a Garda is not on duty, they are members of the public and have the same rights and powers as ordinary members of the public. A Garda cannot put himself on duty in the event of an accident - must be initiated by his superior officer and recorded at the station.

The above does not seem to prevent individual Gardai sometimes taking liberties at times.

I wouldn't have a problem with a cop using the bus for free or what have you. How many times have we read things like "mugger nabbed by off duty Garda" etc. Fair play to them I say.
Except for that time I got done for going through a yellow light and she said it was red. But thats another story.

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

George Orwell

Everyone can't have jobs pushing paper like Ron Burgundy.

If a young female/male puts on a uniform and patrols the street

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

George Orwell

If a young female/male puts on a uniform and patrols the street night and day I don't think the stystem will collapse if they get a free spin on a bus or a cup of coffee from a shop.
Have a good look at the recent antics of the private sector before you target the public sector

I don't think the stystem will collapse if they get a free spin on a bus or a cup of coffee from a shop.

No, but what if they expect freebies as part of their normal terms and conditions. I think it cheapens the position they hold and opens the door to wider abuses.

The events in Donegal, which I don't believe are unique, illustrate the potential dangers to society from Gardai who apply their own set of values.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

George Orwell

If a young female/male puts on a uniform and patrols the street night and day I don't think the stystem will collapse if they get a free spin on a bus or a cup of coffee from a shop.
Have a good look at the recent antics of the private sector before you target the public sector

How is anyone being targeted? If it's Ron your having a go at he is public sector. The system doesn't depend on them getting free perks, they are paid to do a job. It is the whole 'it's better to keep them onside' part that I would worry about i.e it's not because they are keeping the peace it's more so that they are less forceful with the law on your establishment.

I've had my share of instances where they didn't quite match up to George Orwells description.

No, but what if they expect freebies as part of their normal terms and conditions. I think it cheapens the position they hold and opens the door to wider abuses.
Please stop the private sector bashing :p

A friend of mine was telling a story about going to a pub/restaurant to deal with an incident. What struck me was his telling that they had to rush to get there as the guy was very good to the lads with food etc.

By offering any freebies u r effectively buying private security services. This is obviously wrong when the tax payer is paying for an impartial service which should be dispensed on an equal and fair basis to all members of society.

A strange one is that guards get an accomodation allowance which is about €100 / week and at the same time they can claim mortgage interest relief!

There's a formal agreement in place between Dublin Bus and An Garda Siochana (AGS) so I've no complaints there.

Free pizza? Free Subways? Free entry to night clubs? How dare private sector employers decide to not charge employees of emergency services for certain goods and services. Colour me outraged and disgruntled.

While I'm struggling to put my Marks and Spencer meals on the table, pay three mortgages, pay off my 08 Lexus, these people get to have as many meatball foot longs as they want by flashing a badge. It's that kind of culture that leads directly to the abuses seen in the banking sector.

The events in Donegal, which I don't believe are unique, illustrate the potential dangers to society from Gardai who apply their own set of values.[/quote]

The Ombudsman and Inspectorate have been unable to find any evidence of this......have you any evidence which you may like to put to them to instigate an investigation?

Last edited:
Do civil servants get blank Irish rail vouchers?

Was at social event couple of years ago, wife decided to stay on for another day. A CS sold me a blank Irish rail voucher and I filled in the amount and handed to train conductor

Yes, they should.

It's to encourage law offices to use the public transport which is a good thing for all travellers except thieves & troublemakers.

If I had a bar or coffee shop I would give them free cofee as well because its safer to have them around.

Do civil servants get blank Irish rail vouchers?

Was at social event couple of years ago, wife decided to stay on for another day. A CS sold me a blank Irish rail voucher and I filled in the amount and handed to train conductor

Sounds fishy.

As a former bus conductor I was glad to see a garda on a bus especially if it was a roudy late night bus. In fairness they helped defuse one or two tricky situations too.

Back