Are Gardai entitled to free public transport?

Staples

The reason I ask is that on the Luas this morning, a young Garda presented her badge, in lieu of a ticket, to the ticket inspector. This was accepted. It's not the first time I've seen it happen.

I know the amounts involved are only small but I must say I find it a bit disturbing that there seems to be a cavalier culture within the Gardai in which they believe that normal rules for society are optional in their case. It's also evidenced by the disgraceful (and illegal) parking that occurs outside their Harcourt St (and other) premises that icludes parking on pavements, double yellow lines, blocking wheelchair ramps.

While these actions are by themselves worrying, they also point to a potentially more serious concern of a culture of entitlement in which Gardai themselves determine how they should behave. This is something that should concern everyone.

they also point to a potentially more serious concern of a culture of entitlement in which Gardai themselves determine how they should behave. This is something that should concern everyone.
And this is new ?
I've seen it happen 20 years ago....this culture of entitlement and air of the untouchable has been in the Gardai for a long time. I'm pretty sure it's not confined to our police either.

Maybe he was working? They are also entitled to it if travelling to court etc as far as I know. They also don't pay tolls if they are working if I remember correctly. I am sure some abuse it but I wouldn't get worked up over it.

the culture is long in vogue, i know a mate of mine who picks up the paper every morning in his uniform for nada.

the culture is long in vogue, i know a mate of mine who picks up the paper every morning in his uniform for nada.

This culture extends to speeding on the roads and drink driving as well though I do think it is less prevalent than it was prior to the scandal in Donegal and the changes it brought.

Gardai travel free on Dublin Bus and Luas if they wish with the formal agreement of Dublin Bus management and Luas management, Gardau Unions and Bus Unions. The reason is that when the bus driver, Luas staff are being attacked the Gardai will assist when many others sit back and do nothing.
Ask any Bus driver and nhe/she will tell you of times he /she was assisted by off duty Gardai

Gardai travel free on Dublin Bus and Luas if they wish with the formal agreement of Dublin Bus management and Luas management, Gardau Unions and Bus Unions. The reason is that when the bus driver, Luas staff are being attacked the Gardai will assist when many others sit back and do nothing.
Ask any Bus driver and nhe/she will tell you of times he /she was assisted by off duty Gardai

So they won't assist if they are charged a fare?

What do you think ?
I believe it was meant as a means to encourage extra security on public transport by getting the police to use the buses. Due to working shift work there are times when public transport is not available and so the tendency was for them to have their own car.
In any case whether paying or not they would intervene if there was any trouble. I could understand them not getting involved if they were with spouses, kids etc

It's just that you said the reason they get free travel was that when bus drivers are attacked guards will intervene when the general public did not.

I don't know the answers to these questions. I do know that in the States diners etc give out free coffees so to encourage police to call in thus reducing the chance that the local criminals would rob them.
A lot of late night places which do fast food etc give discounts to firemen and gardai It seems to be something that has grown up over the years. I live near a fire station and regularly I see the lads collecting pizzas etc which I know they get at a good rate. I have no problem with it.

I live near a fire station and regularly I see the lads collecting pizzas etc which I know they get at a good rate. I have no problem with it.

Well I wouldn't say that I would have no problem with it.

It depends. Discount because it is a group order and/or regular customer etc fine - would expect the same whatever the profession of the pizza eater. But discount simply because they are firemen? I don't see why.

I know they do a great job etc etc - I wouldn't do it and whilst I don't actually begrudge them this perk, I just don't understand the logic or mentality of it.

To get involved in any arrangement or circumstances that might prejudice or influence the work of the emergency services is just mental IMO - if that's what's going on that is.

I have no problem with places giving out pirks to the emergency services. I do have a problem when members of our police force expect them.

I saw this paper trick happening a few years back - they were taking the papers from which the mastheads had been removed - so it was poor oul Tony O'Reilly who was footing the bill, not the shopkeep.

What a pile of horse $hite. So some 10 stone off duty female garda is going to pile in and pull 3 fellas off someone, come back to the real world.

Really i work in an office where off duty garda often try to use the good old badge.....simple answer, work id is not allowed. Passport or driving licence please, i say it with a smile too:D

Gardai travel free on Dublin Bus and Luas if they wish with the formal agreement of Dublin Bus management and Luas management, Gardau Unions and Bus Unions. ...
Good and hopefully the Revenue know about this formal agreement as well and formalise the BIK charge.

showing the badge gains free access to night clubs aswell for off duty guards, I wonder is it a case of they might turn a blind eye to things in this case?

I think it's a very good thing to give the Gardai free transport, by doing this they encourage them to be on public transport and helps to make all of us and our cities safer.

In relation to illegal parking around Harcourt street, the Gardai should of all people act within the law, be seen to do so and should take pride in doing so. What kind of message does it send out to ordinary people, one law for them and one law for us. Disgraceful.

Back