Are Gardai/Customs/Revenue entitled to impound a rented UK registered vehicle.

noelc

Are the Gardai / Customs / Revenue entitled to impound a UK registered vehicle that I am renting and driving in Ireland. The car has been rented from a UK based company. I have documentation to prove a rental agreement is in place and the the ownership of the vehicle resides with the UK based rental company. I have been told that VRT must be paid on the car as it is being used in Ireland by an Irish resident. I have been told that unless VRT is paid that the vehicle will be impounded.

I considered posting this message in the Car section of the site. However, I am more interested in the legal rights that the state has in this regard.

Re: Impounding Car

..I have been told that VRT must be paid on the car as it is being used in Ireland by an Irish resident. I have been told that unless VRT is paid that the vehicle will be impounded...
Sounds odd. Who told you - was it Revenue, the Guards?

Would it not be simpler to lease an Irish-registered car?

Guards stopped me and said that they know I am resident locally and that I have to pay VRT register the car. Were not in the least bit interested in my rental agreement or the ownership of the car. They told me that if the car was not registered in the next seven days they would impound the vehicle.

How can you re-register a car you do not own? The Gardaí are talking rubbish tbh.
I assume that you will be returning the car to the UK in the near future.

Why would you rent a UK registered car (or any car, for that matter) for long-term use in Ireland? Is it an attempt to subvert the VRT laws or is it on the level?

Something similar happened to a guy on the gerry ryan show this morning. Cant remember all the details:

1) Uk reg jag
2) owned by his UK company
3) not sure of his residency, but commuted between IRL & UK

customs impounded the car to Naas station, but young lad turned up the next day with barrister mum and got it straight back. No apology from the customs, so gerry was to chase them on his behave etc..didnt hear the outcome...

S

I know the owner of the rental company in the UK and he has done me a decent deal for a rolling month to month rental.

I have been reading other posts online re cars being impounded due to no VRT being paid and can see why one might think this is a VRT avoidance tactic.

I am renting it becuase it makes sense from a cash flow and car depreciation standpoint. There is no denying that not owning and having to pay VRT on the car is also a cash saving.

I was unaware of that feature on G.Ryan

Does anyone on this forum have the knowledge to advise if the guards can impound the vehicle? I cannot register the car as I am not the registered owner.

The car is currently taxed for UK roads and my Irish insurance company have confirmed in writing that my insurance is valid.

Why would you rent a UK registered car (or any car, for that matter) for long-term use in Ireland? Is it an attempt to subvert the VRT laws or is it on the level.
How is it an attempt to avoid VRT?

The car is currently taxed for UK roads and my Irish insurance company have confirmed in writing that my insurance is valid.
Noel, have you Irish insurance on the car or a UK policy?

Irish insurance; does this matter?
On that basis I believe a case could be argued that its VRT evasion. UK owned and registered, Irish insurance, long-term use here by an Irish resident?

Irish insurance; does this matter?
That could be what is colouring the Gardaís opinion. They would see a genuine renter as having a uk policy of insurance.

An experts opinion is needed.

True; I was hoping for an expert opinion. Never been in trouble with the law; over 40 years of age. Paid all my taxes!

If it was the case that the Irish insurance was an issue I am sure the rental company could have it insured in the UK for driving in Ireland.

My concern is that the Gardai are only doing their job; that is, they are enforcing the rules as laid down by the vehicle registration office. They never even asked if the car was insured.

By the way; I did not know that tax avoidance was a crime. Tax evasion - yes - but avoidance is not; indeed it is an industry in itself in Ireland!

What I suspect will happen is you will be getting a visit from the Customs and Excise shortly.

I take it you're living and working in the republic? I see the angle you're coming from, but people have tried this one for years.

Loads of people have rental/lease agreements or work/postal/"residential addresses" in the U.K. and try to drive U.K regd. cars in the republic but if our friends in the revenue can show that you are resident in the state, they can seize the car. ("commuting" to the U.K. a few times to Hollyhead or the North won't cut it)

You can't register a car you don't own, right enough, but they have the car!

If you're insured here too, that might reinforce their case.

Nice try, but I think they have you.

The bottom line is that Revenue, Customs and Excise, and the Garda are not stupid.

Back