Are Dingle Pubs/Restuarants breaking the 'no smoke' laws

Re: journo

AJP
You're right of course the fish restaurant is easy to recognise.. I have just returned from there and can report definitively that yes, there, as brazen as you like, in the of the day the menu stated Haddock...smoked Haddock..I'm afraid your worst fears have been realised.

Irish Independent 16th October 2004

The Irish Independent have picked up on the original London Telegraph story and have added a little spice from their "Kerryman" stringer Aidan O'Connor.

It seems the practice centers around the after hours culture which exists in Dingle, Killarney and Tralee. I suppose its a bit difficult for a publican who is breaking the law by serving after closing time to tell his clientel to smoke at the door.

Smoking filters back into pubs

A SILENT rebellion against the smoking ban is taking place along the south-western seaboard, the Irish Independent can reveal.

Despite the threat of a €3,000 fine, many publicans are allowing their customers to light up in the hope they will not be detected by the country's 40 'smoke police'.

The rebellion is particularly strong in Co Kerry with some bars in Killarney, Dingle and Tralee - as well as rural areas - turning a blind eye to smoking.

"There are quite a few places that locals know of where smoking is permitted," said Kerryman journalist Aidan O'Connor.

"There's a well-known pub in Tralee where people can smoke after closing time. There's a prominent hotel in Killarney where people are allowed to smoke in the toilet and there's a GAA pub in Killarney where they turn a blind eye."

ajapale
Incidently if anyone knows the pub in Tralee which serves after hours I'd like to know because In all my years here I have yet to find one.

Also it appears from the byline in the Indo that the author of the original piece in the London Telegraph is Thomas Harding, Ireland correspondant.

aj

Back