Are Dingle Pubs/Restuarants breaking the 'no smoke' laws

A

ajapale

Are Pubs and Restuarants in Co Kerry breaking the "no smoke" laws? ...or is this just an example of a lazy journo believing all he is told in pubs late at night? Incidently the pubs and restuarants mentioned are instantly recognisable.

From the (London) Telegraph 8th October 2004
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/...world.html

However, along Ireland's rugged west coast, a traditional haven for revolt, a silent rebellion has taken hold.

Pubs are allowing customers to smoke in rooms and restaurants after food has been cleared. Despite the threat of a £2,000 fine and possible loss of their licences, landlords, some of whom have suffered a 50 per cent drop in sales, quietly allow customers to smoke.

With only 40 "smoke police" from the Office of Tobacco Control, Ireland's 15,000 publicans are taking the risk in the hope that their distance from Dublin gives them a good chance of escaping prosecution.

In a town in Co Kerry popular with tourists - even the Hollywood stars Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt have been there - at least half a dozen pubs are operating secret smoking rooms. In one traditional bar packed with locals and several tourists, people who asked where they could go for a cigarette were shown to a back room.

Pints of Guinness sat on a wooden table and the room was filled with laughter and clouds of smoke.

A customer leaned against the whitewashed wall, pulled out a cigarette and lit up. Next to him was the sign that has been plastered in every Irish pub: "No Smoking", with a warning of prosecution underneath.

A few cigarettes into the conversation we asked how they were able to get away with it?

..Later in a well-known fish restaurant in Co Kerry we wondered why such a smart place should have a few candles in small metal holders dotted around the bar.

When the restaurant had all but emptied, a waiter blew out a candle and placed the holder on the bar. "That's what we use as ashtrays nowadays," he said with a wink.

ajapale

If it is true, it is only a matter of time before some uppity bloke like me shops them to the Office of Tobacco Control - Mr Fibber McGees from Galway got some fairly hefty fines last week.

lo-call smoke-free workplace compliance line - 1890 333 100

The lo-call smoke-free workplace compliance line is - 1890 333 100.

In fairness to the Dingle businesses the more I read the article the more I'm inclined to believe that this is a figment of the romantic imaginations of a desk bound journo in London. I coulnt find any bye line in the article.

ajapale

Fair dos to them

Fair dues to whom exactly? The lazy journo or those crusading mavericks of the Wild West

Was down that part of the way a couple of weekends ago. Was in a few bars and nightclubs. Basically half of them had people puffing away inside with not a bother. Guards arrived into one of the nightclubs, cigarettes magically disappeared and came out again after they had gone.

Heckler

fags

It's fair dues to those people standing up for themselves. People who disagree with the stifling amount of Government interference the citizens of this country have to endure.

fags

> People who disagree with the stifling amount of Government interference the citizens of this country have to endure.

... and simply disregard laws that they consider do not or should not apply to them personally? Yeah - fair play all right... :rolleyes

... and simply disregard laws that they consider do not or should not apply to them personally? Yeah - fair play all right...

Of course! - Are you one of those people who blindly does what others tell you to?

> Of course! - Are you one of those people who blindly does what others tell you to?

No. But I do adhere to the laws of the land. Bit of a difference. Where do you yourself draw the line in terms of disregarding/breaking laws?

Re: .

Of course! - Are you one of those people who blindly does what others tell you to?

Right on. I don't like the way the government tell me what speed I can do in MY car. If anyone's looking for me I'll be out speeding in my car around built up areas.

I don't like to speed in built up areas in case I cause an accident, not because of speeding regulations.
YMMV.

Some laws are meant to be broken (well bent anyway)

1) Were you aware that it is against the law to play poker for money even in your own home?

2) Were you aware that it is against the law to record a song from your radio?

3) Were you aware that if you play recorded music to a group of more than three persons (not family members) you must pay royalties?

4) Have you ever really abided a speed limit which states 5 mph limit? - they do exist!!

There are good reasons for these laws.

1) Society does not want uncontrolled public gambling.
2 & 3) How else do you stop wholesale piracy of artistes' legitimate property?
4) There are circumstances when indeed to break this limit would be dangerous - the law has to strike a lowest common denominator.

We see in these examples that the law has to be imperfect, it cannot possibly be flexible enough to cope for every circumstance and so there are many circumstances when it is morally acceptable to "break" the law.

Now, on the smoking ban, I'm in two minds, but if everyone in a particular place is agreeable, then what can be morally offensive in allowing persons to smoke?

I don't like to speed in built up areas in case I cause an accident, not because of speeding regulations.

I see. So if you agree with a law you adhere to it, but if not you don't?

Where do you yourself draw the line in terms of disregarding/breaking laws?

I try to do what I believe is right. It's that simple. If I thought a law was ethically wrong, I wouldn't have any problems breaking it. Laws come and go, but ethics are a constant.

(I'm obviously not going to openly admit to breaking laws on a public BBS)

I see. So if you agree with a law you adhere to it, but if not you don't?

No.

Maybe this is too subtle. I don't speed (in built up areas), not because I'm adhering to a law, but because I don't want to cause an accident. It's not because of a desire to adhere to a law, or fear of breaking a law.

For my estate, the local traffic laws state I can drive at max 30mph. I feel that 30mph is far too fast, and I sometimes go <10mph.

I try to do what I believe is right. It's that simple. If I thought a law was ethically wrong, I wouldn't have any problems breaking it

We've been having this conversation on this board for a long time now. Do you see nothing ethically wrong with making bar staff breath in your cancerous fumes? I do. And so do all of my smoking friends.

> I try to do what I believe is right. It's that simple. If I thought a law was ethically wrong, I wouldn't have any problems breaking it.

Would you have a problem facing the consequences if you were caught?

> Laws come and go, but ethics are a constant.

Really? Can you point me to this universal timelss book of ethics so that I can read up on it?

Do you see nothing ethically wrong with making bar staff breath in your cancerous fumes? I do. And so do all of my smoking friends.

Of course I do see this as being ethically wrong. What's your point?

Do you see nothing ethically wrong with making bar staff breath in your cancerous fumes? I do. And so do all of my smoking friends.

Of course I do see this as being ethically wrong. What's your point?

and earlier...

It's fair dues to those people standing up for themselves. People who disagree with the stifling amount of Government interference the citizens of this country have to endure

Is this not a contradiction? Were you referring to people who break the smoking ban?

Back