Apple Iphone

If you buy the Iphone in the US you have to sign a two year contract with AT&T. Its not available pay as you go.

Can anyone tell me, if i buy an Iphone in the states, have it unlocked, will it work here in ireland? my mobile network is meteor
It probably, maybe will.

But to buy one yourself in the states, you'll have to sign up for a contract. That may be difficult if you don't have a US address. It'll also be expensive.

In any case, it would have to be unlocked to work on Meteor. That'll breach your warranty. You won't be able to avail of software upgrades as Apple will turn your phone into a pillar of salt if it's been tampered with.

Look out for counterfeit IPhones on eBay.

I know someone who didn't have to sign up to AT&T after buying one in the states so hopefully i'll be able to do the same. I'm not overly concerned about the warranty......hopefully if i don't update the firmware after unlocking it will be ok.

AFAIK you buy the phone in the Apple store and then sign up to AT&T subsequently - the theory from Apple's POV being that you can't activate the iTunes function etc. without signing up to their chosen phone service provider. I think they forgot about the hackosphere :D

OK i see, so they assume that you will be signing up to AT&T after you buy the iphone, but there is no obligation to do so when you actually buy it?

Correct - but the iphone does nothing until connected to itunes, you need to download all of the firm ware, you can't even turn it on until then.

Anyone believe these rumours?

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/24/apple-issues-warning-on-iphone-unlocking/

Apple Issues Warning on iPhone Unlocking [Updated]

Monday September 24, 2007 05:16 PM EST
Posted by arn
Apple has issued a statement today that programs available for the iPhone to SIM unlock it could cause "irreparable damage" to the device. Apple has discovered that many of the unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs available on the Internet cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software, which will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed.
Total Rubbish

Can anyone tell me, if i buy an Iphone in the states, have it unlocked, will it work here in ireland? my mobile network is meteor
It will I have one unlocked working on Vodafone
3 is the only network it wont work on as far as i know

If you buy the Iphone in the US you have to sign a two year contract with AT&T. Its not available pay as you go.
It is if the phone is unlocked

Just a follow up:

Got the iPhone in the US, firmware version 1.1.1, unlocked it using instructions from [broken link removed] Now working fine on the Meteor network(pay as you go)

Enjoy!! Remember DONT let iTunes upgrad it to 1.1.2 with out installing & running OkToPrep first!!!

Enjoy!! Remember DONT let iTunes upgrad it to 1.1.2

Thats the plan! if you hook up your ipod and launch itunes, i'm assuming you will get a prompt before anything is installed? i.e. they won't upgrade to 1.1.2 in the background without prompting you first?

no - different Devices.. By the way there is now a way to safely upgrade to 1.1.2 I am testing it tonight. I will post a link once I can verify it works

[broken link removed] are based in Cork and do the 8 gig one for €520.

I got one of them and they are an amazing piece of kit, couldn't recommend one more. The touch screen user interface is brilliant.

Has anyone bought from this company? I'm considering giving them a try but would like to hear from others who have bought from them beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
[broken link removed]is the complete unlocking guide as well as how to safely upgrade to the latest version (1.1.2)
Admins I hope this post is ok. If its breaking any rules apologies & please remove..

where did you buy your colm, i'm going on my honeymoon in 8 weeks and might one in the Apple store in Orlando.

Got mine unlocked on Ebay.. But wasn't happy wit 1.1.1 so I set about upgrading it..You can buy them in almost any phone shop in the states.
You just pay for the phone , the contract is set up during the activation process (which you won't be needing :p )
Beware though a new phone will now be shipped with version 1.1.2
There is as of yet no unlock or jailbreak for these phones.. Wont be long though

i also hear they mabye starting to sell them without the contract

I doubt it very much.. They are investing too much money to keep them exclusive to one operator per country. It would be seen as Apple backing down to the hackers.
France will be a problem though. It is illegal for an operator there to network lock their phones.

It probably, maybe will.

But to buy one yourself in the states, you'll have to sign up for a contract. That may be difficult if you don't have a US address. It'll also be expensive.

In any case, it would have to be unlocked to work on Meteor. That'll breach your warranty. You won't be able to avail of software upgrades as Apple will turn your phone into a pillar of salt if it's been tampered with.

Look out for counterfeit IPhones on eBay.
It Will work
It Will Have to be unlocked
Warranty is not an issue as any iPhone unlocked or jailbroken can be restored using iTunes
You Can still avail of upgrades. I have an iPhone on Vodafone running software version 1.1.2
Apple can relock ( Brick) you phone if upgraded... They can not damage it in any way or make it irrepairable...
Counterfeit iPhones???? Do they work???

Back