Apple Iphone

Sunster

Anyone here got themselves an Apple Iphone yet? Would love to hear what you think of it as I'm considering buying one.

great review - I had seen an Iphone and I thought hat they were well cool - but HE has spoken and I now can't really get one can I??

Its a cool gadget. But as I'm not a fan of touch interfaces I won't be buying one. I would miss the tactile ergonomic feedback of buttons. As I do with other devices. Also since iPods themselves are more than a bit fragile, and I'm not precious about my phones, I can't imagine it would last long with me.

Anyone know where to get them here and much they cost???

[broken link removed] are based in Cork and do the 8 gig one for €520.

I got one of them and they are an amazing piece of kit, couldn't recommend one more. The touch screen user interface is brilliant.

Apple is set to reduce the price of the unit in the States as it is not selling as well as expected. Also the device with it's price is attracting the 40 plus customer who has the dosh to buy. A "turn off" to the 20 something market (core market segment driving the ipod revolution) who want the trendy gadget but put off seeing some Wall Street broker using it.:(

Apple is set to reduce the price of the unit in the States as it is not selling as well as expected. Also the device with it's price is attracting the 40 plus customer who has the dosh to buy. A "turn off" to the 20 something market (core market segment driving the ipod revolution) who want the trendy gadget but put off seeing some Wall Street broker using it.:(

It's sales are waaaaaayy up on what Apple thought they'd be according to everything I read???

From what i read they were reporting units shiped to stores actual units sold were not as many as hoped - they said they were reducing price to try and capture the christmas market

I think you stand to be corrected, see yesterdays LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple8oct08,0,1532569.story?coll=la-home-center

P.S. Helen... Apple saying it is cutting the price to capture the Christmas market, if you cut the spin it should be....Apple has gone sour and in a panic. ;-<. It'll be half the price after Christmas again.

Eh that article backs up what I was saying!!!

Try these quotes from it...

Its shares gained $5.21 on Friday to a historic high of $161.45 for a market value of more than $140 billion.

It dominates in digital entertainment players with nearly 70% of the U.S. market. Its iTunes store has become the No. 3 U.S. music retailer. Macintosh computer sales are booming. And Apple has sold 1 million iPhones in less than three months.

Apple is a star company with a dog product. Why else would it slash the price of the product before release into Europe. Check the equivalent of AAM stateside to see the views of Bloggers, like PS3 they got and marketed it at to high a price and now they are retreating backwards. I love the Ipod but this one relaeased has its drawbacks and software problems to boot. One million sales is a drop in the ocean compared to what the I-pod traditional units sell per month. Finally apple share price is at an all time high, some anaysts here in London and in Wall Street are predicting a fallback. A victim (possibly) of its own success?:(

Apple is a star company with a dog product. Why else would it slash the price of the product before release into Europe. Check the equivalent of AAM stateside to see the views of Bloggers, like PS3 they got and marketed it at to high a price and now they are retreating backwards. I love the Ipod but this one relaeased has its drawbacks and software problems to boot. One million sales is a drop in the ocean compared to what the I-pod traditional units sell per month. Finally apple share price is at an all time high, some anaysts here in London and in Wall Street are predicting a fallback. A victim (possibly) of its own success?:(

I'm no expert but I'm told that Apple regularly do that kind of thing (high prices at the start and then slash) cos they know they've such a hard core of enthusiasts that lap up their gear.

Back to the original point though, Apple seem to be selling the iPhone by the shed load and it seems like it is highly popular.

I could on for ages about this but there are reasons why they would drop their prices in Europe... No 3G being one of the main ones.

Sorry for the earlier font (terrible font..mean't to quote something and forgot to change it back)..Bobby we agree to disagree (my above thread is the reason behind the price cut and the marketeers got to greedy thinking the 20 somethings would buy in at this price). But you or I will never know of the exact thinking going on in Apple. But watch its share price over the next 3/6 months, to determine if it is a success or not. As I say, in the City of London many traders are being recommended to short the share. I hope it is a success, the company is coming under pressure from integrated technology of phone/camera/mp3 etc, and it has to compete. Of the mp3's it's the best of its kind and with computers likewise.:)

Apple in the US are offering a $100 refund to customers who bought the iphone before the price cut so there is no way it was a 'get people in who will pay more then drop the price' approach. There have been quite a few complaints about the screen cracking etc. But aside from this they are easy to use. They have now updated the software so that the phone will become completely useless if hacked. (although I suppose you have to update your software for this to be effective). I have just bought the new itouch - which is identical to the iphone with out the phone function (and the two year minimum contract with the phone company of choice!) and extra storage (16gb). Its the best little gadget I've ever bought. The wifi function is amazingly useful and full screen is great for watching movies. I'm a fan I have to say - and I've owned all ipod models - including the discontinued mini ipod!

Anyone believe these rumours?

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/24/apple-issues-warning-on-iphone-unlocking/

Apple Issues Warning on iPhone Unlocking [Updated]

Monday September 24, 2007 05:16 PM EST
Posted by arn
Apple has issued a statement today that programs available for the iPhone to SIM unlock it could cause "irreparable damage" to the device. Apple has discovered that many of the unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs available on the Internet cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software, which will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed.

Apple plans to release the next iPhone software update later this week which will include the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store.

It appears the statement only refers to SIM Unlocking your iPhone to allow it to use networks outside of AT&T. It would appear that 3rd party hacks (Ringtones, Applications) would not cause the same problems.

One forum user indicates it i s possible to reverse the SIM Unlock by reflashing the firmware but must be done manually at this time.

Well it was reported on all of the major news channels in New York so I suspect it is true?

Can anyone tell me, if i buy an Iphone in the states, have it unlocked, will it work here in ireland? my mobile network is meteor

Back