Anyone risking booking a foreign holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Leper I've booked for Spain for September. If only I had that vaccine cert in my hand I'd really feel more comfortable about it.
Either ways I'll push your plane out in August if you'll push mine in September

Heard on radio today you need to add the costs of two PCR tests and the possibility of quarantine if things change so I wouldn’t be comfortable booking yet.
some countries accept antigen tests probably more as summer progresses and Ireland seen as safe, also likely that pcr tests will be subsidised so as not to discriminate against the young although ireland might not play ball you could still benefit from a cheaper pcr test for return. If you want to travel just do it, the government doesn't control your life, you do.

Algarve in October and Tenerife in Jan 2022. We'll both have been vaccinated long berfore then so don't anticipate any problems.

I'm fully vaccinated now and Mrs Cervelo will be by the end of June but we're not planning anything for this year
We'll both hopefully be going to Spain for the winter in November but wont be looking or booking anything until September
Personally I feel its a little early to be going on holidays right now but late summer should hopefully show a different picture
The thought of sitting on a plane with several hundred other people just isn't floating my boat at the moment

Last edited:
So here were are in mid-June. Given the go date of July 19th in Ireland, we booked out with Ryanair to Greece on the 13th of July, and not returning until after the 19th. Greece will be open for holiday makers then, we adults will be vaccinated by then (plus 2 week as required) and the kids can take PCR tests to satisfy the inbound criteria in Greece. Ryanair then cancelled our flight, offering a refund of the fare as there are now no flights available prior to July 19th. We booked with Aer Lingus instead just yesterday, and sure enough, they also cancelled their flight and now no flights are available prior to the 19th. I have no data but I suspect these pre-July 19th flights were filling up nicely with people like me making a calculation that it will be possible by that stage to exit the country as long as the return date is after the 19th. It seems strange then that both domestic carriers have cut all pre July 19th options. Of course it might also be the case that they were empty and not viable. At any rate it is now getting a bit messy, and if there is a push to crush all international travel prior to the 19th then any flight out to anywhere could also be cancelled, at least with the domestic carriers. Which leaves us up the creek without a proverbial. Buyer beware!

So here were are in mid-June. Given the go date of July 19th in Ireland, we booked out with Ryanair to Greece on the 13th of July, and not returning until after the 19th. Greece will be open for holiday makers then, we adults will be vaccinated by then (plus 2 week as required) and the kids can take PCR tests to satisfy the inbound criteria in Greece. Ryanair then cancelled our flight, offering a refund of the fare as there are now no flights available prior to July 19th. We booked with Aer Lingus instead just yesterday, and sure enough, they also cancelled their flight and now no flights are available prior to the 19th. I have no data but I suspect these pre-July 19th flights were filling up nicely with people like me making a calculation that it will be possible by that stage to exit the country as long as the return date is after the 19th. It seems strange then that both domestic carriers have cut all pre July 19th options. Of course it might also be the case that they were empty and not viable. At any rate it is now getting a bit messy, and if there is a push to crush all international travel prior to the 19th then any flight out to anywhere could also be cancelled, at least with the domestic carriers. Which leaves us up the creek without a proverbial. Buyer beware!
That’s not how I would have read it or played it at all. You’re not supposed to GO until the 19th of July, so it’s fairly predictable that those flights were cancelled. It’s hard to see anything “strange” about it.

Aer Lingus flights booked a while Dublin to Perpignan 21st September.
Received cancellarion notice this afternoon.

That’s not how I would have read it or played it at all. You’re not supposed to GO until the 19th of July, so it’s fairly predictable that those flights were cancelled. It’s hard to see anything “strange” about it.
Yes, that's certainly true. The calculation was that travelling out in the week before the 19th might buy us better value, but it's becoming....difficult.

I think it is far too soon to be booking flights abroad . There is still too much uncertainty .

Aer Lingus flights booked a while Dublin to Perpignan 21st September.
Received cancellarion notice this afternoon.
I see Aer Lingus is canceling a number of flights to some European destinations for the remainder of 2021 they have not given exact details on the destinations affected,

Personal Opinion:- "It's too early to book a sun holiday" I hear many saying. I hear you, but for how long do you think we should be under siege not to travel? You are fully vaccinated or about to be fully vaccinated, what more protection do you need at this point in time?

We decided to "staycation" - What happened? The Irish hoteliers, renters of holiday homes, mobile home owners, etc hiked up their prices bigtime. Some of the prices we were quoted were absolute daylight robbery. Our daughter rented a house (heating not working, no hot water save for the kettle, cold shower and a few more disappointments) and only had to pay €600 for a three night stay (Mon - Wed) and vacate by 11.00am on which they were screwed even more with an additional uncalculated electricity charge and wait-for-it . . . the parking space for their car.

We booked our flights to Spain a month ago for August amidst objections from our daughter like we were going to come back in body bags. Now she has booked flights too and will accompany us and she doesn't care if there is a chance of catching the Bubonic Plague while we wait in the Ryanair Priority Queue. If Covid strikes again (as it can) we'll merely defer our flights at no cost as promised by Ryanair. We will not be disobeying any restrictions.

But, if you want to pay €600+ for an early week three nights Irish staycation, go ahead and I bet you'll book next year's sun holiday within milliseconds of returning home.

Last edited:
I certainly think that when I am fully vaccinated, shortly, I should be able to travel abroad. When I go, I will move about cautiously, eat and drink outside, walk the promenades, behave....

My problem is....airport crowds.....fools......more fools.....packed, hot stuffy planes.....wearing a mask on planes......I don't want any Covid tests that involve having something inserted up my nose....

Yesterday we were enjoying an outdoor coffee in The Club in UCD. At the table about 3 feet away from us there were two older men. One of them sneezed all over the table and his friend.....we were down wind from this person who after 15 months still did not know that you have to cover your mouth when you sneeze. It was disgusting.....we decided to move and just as we were leaving the table....he sneezed again.....over the table and his friend.

I wanted to confront this ignorant man but it was easier just to walk away........maybe if I had done so he might think twice the next time.....but we all know that there are still many of these ignorant people about us as we travel through our day and we all see them all the time.

Interesting post there, There are lots of things we could do to stop the spread of covid in Ireland including stopping it coming into the country,

The problem I have at present if I go out for coffee/lunch I don't know if the people sitting at the next table to me are already fully vaccinated and just after coming into the Country has been on holidays in the last few days are carriers and don't realize it

Last edited:
Yesterday we were enjoying an outdoor coffee in The Club in UCD. At the table about 3 feet away from us there were two older men. One of them sneezed all over the table and his friend.....we were down wind from this person who after 15 months still did not know that you have to cover your mouth when you sneeze. It was disgusting.....we decided to move and just as we were leaving the table....he sneezed again.....over the table and his friend

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If as you say they were elderly people we're being told they're the good ones now, as they're vaccinated. The pollen count this weather is very high and the poor soul just might have an allergy, hence the sneezing and probably no tissue. Next time that happens bring a tissue over to the unfortunate person. A big ignorant sneeze is a devil of a thing and know what? Most people at some stage are caught unawares by one. Next time, it could be you :rolleyes:

No Problem says......"I wouldn't worry too much about it. If as you say they were elderly people we're being told they're the good ones now, as they're vaccinated. The pollen count this weather is very high and the poor soul just might have an allergy, hence the sneezing and probably no tissue. Next time that happens bring a tissue over to the unfortunate person. A big ignorant sneeze is a devil of a thing and know what? Most people at some stage are caught unawares by one. Next time, it could be you"

We have been told to sneeze in to the crook of our arm. Was this person not able to do this? We can all be caught out by an instant sneeze but on this occasion the person sneezed a second time. Plenty of time to gather himself and not sneeze over the table or his companion.

We have been told to sneeze in to the crook of our arm. Was this person not able to do this? We can all be caught out by an instant sneeze but on this occasion the person sneezed a second time. Plenty of time to gather himself and not sneeze over the table or his companion.
We have been told to sneeze into the crook of our arm the old man did not do so, The old man's actions cause me problems because I intend to Holidaying in Ireland this Summer and hope to eat out if I think it is safe to do so,

We are being told to holiday at home this year, there is a good chance the people doing the most spreading are the people as soon as they are vaccinated head off on foreign holidays now read the first part of the OP post,

I fear transmissible Variants taking hold all over the World by people moving about from one country to the next while the virus is still very active,

By the way, I spend several months on foreign holidays each year until covid struck won't be going because of the fear of getting Covid Myself but the fear of carrying a Progressively more transmissible Variants into Ireland using the crook of my arm so to speak,

Last edited:
Does anyone know if someone owning a small holiday apartment in Spain gets any priority to travel re. maintainence letting it out etc.I asked HSE about this some time ago and the said that i should ask the guardai.Thanks

Probably the same as a large holiday apartment I would imagine. A family member of mine owns a property in Spain and cannot travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back