Anyone risking booking a foreign holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if someone owning a small holiday apartment in Spain gets any priority to travel re. maintainence letting it out etc.I asked HSE about this some time ago and the said that i should ask the guardai.Thanks
It's regarded as non essential travel. If it wasn't I'd be there now.

Nice to see people not looking for loopholes to travel abroad unnecessarily until it is safe for all to do so,

I would love to go traveling abroad myself the most important thing to me right now is to make sure we don't cause another Irish lockdown by bringing more covid strains into the country endangering peoples health and restricting our movements within Ireland,
Enjoy and make the most of every summer break you can fit in stay safe,

This morning I met a guy I hadn't seen for over a year. Thing is, he's got a fabulous tan and after a short chat he told me he was away in a "sort of" camper van for the last 6 months. Gibraltar, Portugal, Spain and parts of France. Arrived home a week ago via ferry from Bilbao to Rosslare. Yes, he was supposed to get a covid test before coming, but never did, got a false one for €20 instead and never isolated after arriving, and has no intention of getting a vaccine either. I told the person they were being very uncivil and they weren't at all correct in going about mixing with everyone, and that if they wanted to go abroad again they would need a vaccine. I was very quickly told that there was no need for a vaccine and a black market one was very easy to get. To say I was angry is being mild. What's it all about when this is going on? Felt like reporting him, but couldn't do it. Anyone else meet people like this and what would you have done?

This morning I met a guy I hadn't seen for over a year. Thing is, he's got a fabulous tan and after a short chat he told me he was away in a "sort of" camper van for the last 6 months. Gibraltar, Portugal, Spain and parts of France. Arrived home a week ago via ferry from Bilbao to Rosslare. Yes, he was supposed to get a covid test before coming, but never did, got a false one for €20 instead and never isolated after arriving, and has no intention of getting a vaccine either. I told the person they were being very uncivil and they weren't at all correct in going about mixing with everyone, and that if they wanted to go abroad again they would need a vaccine. I was very quickly told that there was no need for a vaccine and a black market one was very easy to get. To say I was angry is being mild. What's it all about when this is going on? Felt like reporting him, but couldn't do it. Anyone else meet people like this and what would you have done?
1. I'm not a bit surprised. Loads of people still travelling abroad knowing that they'll not be challenged by anybody and if they are they'll have an appointment with some Spanish dentist or Hungarian breast enhancer. They don't care about anybody, why should you care about them? Report them, I would. It's never the wrong time to do the right thing.

2. And then there's the people who'll jump the queue for the vaccine. Loads of them too. Of course, all of them received a spare vaccine that was about to be binned if they didn't take it.

Hopefully, he was winding you up or you are trying to wind posters up, I don't think it was as simple as you explained to travel around Europe in a camper van and not get arrested and camper van taken, As an example and Leper should know for most of the last 6 months you would not be allowed to move around Spain in fact you could only go a few miles from your base,
What you explained might work in Ireland no in Europe,

If I met a person who was after coming back to Ireland in the last two weeks I would not put myself in danger by spending time talking to them But I think you are safe enough Hopefully he was just out of the sunbed when you met him,

Last edited:
Hopefully, he was winding you up or you are trying to wind posters up, I don't think it was as simple as you explained to travel around Europe in a camper van and not get arrested and camper van taken, As an example and Leper should know for most of the last 6 months you would not be allowed to move around Spain in fact you could only go a few miles from your base,

If I met a person who was after coming back to Ireland in the last two weeks I would not put myself in danger by spending time talking to them But I think you are safe enough he probably was just out of the sunbed when you met him,
Many people in the south of Spain have been complaining of the foreign and Spanish campervans roaming freely in all areas over the past months. The difference there the police call to the campervans and prosecute.

If I met a person who was after coming back to Ireland in the last two weeks I would not put myself in danger by spending time talking to them But I think you are safe enough Hopefully he was just out of the sunbed when you met him,
I can assure you he wasn't winding me up. He headed off last December and went to Portugal. Have no idea what ferry he went on, or where he drove from after Portugal but i've already pointed out the countries he went to. From there he just did his thing. Lives off the state pension, around the 70 mark, free spirit type of fella, invite you to meet for a snack and you'd end up paying for it, ALWAYS. Knows what he's entitled to and that's it. Illegal means nothing to him. Couldn't give a toss about anything, or anyone and gets away with it. I've no doubt he'll be off again in a few weeks, covid or no covid. Sorry if it comes across as a bit of bull, I can assure you it's 100% true.

you would think then he would take the free covid vaccinated and get the green passport before he heads off again on his travels, :)

Thought there for a while I had accidently clicked into the Boards or The Journal website . All the finger wagging , pointing and virtue signaling appearing towards the end of this thread is more akin to what I would expect from those sources rather than a serious and responsible site like " askabout " .
So far European campervanners , people who sneeze at the next table , vaccine que jumpers , those requiring dental treatment and boob job patients have all attracted the wrath of the " I never do anything wrong " brigade.
It must be a great feeling to have never diverted a millimeter from the rules and regulations during the pandemic and so be able to point out the failings of others .
The general tone of replies has now veered towards " I would risk a foreign holiday if it wasnt for all the others messing things up "
Strang isnt it that its always those " others " that mess everything up for all us really responsible folks.
Bit the same way that bad driving is always the fault of all the "other" bad drivers .

Does anyone know what is the procedure and where do we get the application forms and who do we apply to for the covid green passport card for travelling to e.g. Spain when we already have the two vaccines procedures and the verification card for this and any other relevent details.Thanks

I work in a Covid unit and will not be flying until late autumn at the earliest. About 1/4 of people we see have recently been on a plane and some have admitted to using a forged PCR test result. Just not worth the risk.
Have these people been fully vaccinated?

Have these people been fully vaccinated?
No, we haven't seen anyone fully vaccinated who required admission.

I did have a colleague elsewhere who was fully vaccinated and got Covid a few weeks later - probably one of the small number who don't get a good immune response, hence the need for herd immunity via vaccination so we can protect people like him.

We have had several people who had 1 dose and ended up admitted soon after which is tough for them as they have done their best for so long and just let the guard down a bit early.

At the beginning I was very much in the "it's a bad cold" brigade until I saw people younger than me being intubated. That was frightening. And now we see quite a few previously fit and healthy people who had mild/moderate Covid who are still breathless and having chest pains months later.

I love flying and we had lots of trips planned so I'm really looking forward to getting back on a plane, just no interest in rolling the dice yet.

Thankfully there are more and more safe ways to enjoy ourselves at home and fingers crossed we will be back travelling soon.

I booked London in late July and a one-way ticket back to Alicante Spain in late SEPT. London is the one looking dodgy. Spain I have a house and I'm fully vaxed. Doubling prices for holiday houses in IRL is obscene but no surprise. During the crazy Celtic tiger days, Ilooked at a long weekend in Donegal and it would have cost me more than a week in Vienna - Vienna! What kind of Eden do some of our lads in tourism think we live it? Yeats' September 1913 comes to mind, about merchants, but the shoe fits: "What need you being come to sense but fumble in the greasy till and add the half-pence to the pence..."

I booked London in late July and a one-way ticket back to Alicante Spain in late SEPT. London is the one looking dodgy. Spain I have a house and I'm fully vaxed. Doubling prices for holiday houses in IRL is obscene but no surprise. During the crazy Celtic tiger days, Ilooked at a long weekend in Donegal and it would have cost me more than a week in Vienna - Vienna! What kind of Eden do some of our lads in tourism think we live it? Yeats' September 1913 comes to mind, about merchants, but the shoe fits: "What need you being come to sense but fumble in the greasy till and add the half-pence to the pence..."
If it's so easy make a killing in tourism here, why isn't there more jumping on the bandwagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back