Anyone else having problems with UTV DNS?

I've just spoken to a tech person in Utv who assured me that the Server issue has been solved. She said it went down on Friday night, was back again on Saturday (true since I was OK on Sat), and it went down again on Sunday - my connection was down all yesterday. Since I was always able to connect to the Blaster Router I thought maybe I had done something wrong! She wasn't 100% certain that it wouldn't happen again but I suppose that's to be expected.

Did anyone try Blinder's OpenDNS link and is it easy to do? I'd be interested to know in case Utv's server goes again.
Originally posted by Blinder
If anyone else is having the same problem ( and also managed to get on here by using the IP address, there are instructions of how to set this up ( for numerous routers and OS's]) here:

Actually it would - if (as mentioned above by Blinder) you change the DSL router from dynamic to static non UTV DNS - not the PC itself.

It's possible in retrospect this is what Amygdala meant, but I assumed they were referring to static endpoint IP addresses rather than the DNS servers.

In addition to changing DNS settings on the router, you can add additional DNS servers locally on your PC. I did this on Sunday evening otherwise I wouldn't have been able to post here.

Any advanced users considering using OpenDNS should read the full details of their service -- some of the features they provide (e.g. rewriting invalid hostnames) may annoy you.

Did anyone try Blinder's OpenDNS link and is it easy to do? I'd be interested to know in case Utv's server goes again.
As above - I would only do this as a temporary workaround if/when the ISP's DNS goes down again. All things being equal you would probably be better of using the ISP's DNS as long as it works.

Originally posted by ClubMan
All things being equal you would probably be better of using the ISP's DNS as long as it works.
Thanks CM - I'll take that advice - the devil you know...... On the other hand in case of emergency (!), how is this done?
Originally posted by MugsGame
In addition to changing DNS settings on the router, you can add additional DNS servers locally on your PC. I did this on Sunday evening otherwise I wouldn't have been able to post here.
Is this the way to start and what then? From Blaster router:
DNS Configuration
DNS Proxy Selection Use Auto Discovered DNS Servers Only
User Configuration: Preferred DNS Server 0.0.0.0
.............................Alternate DNS Server 0.0.0.0
Please ensure to click Save Settings for settings to take effect.

What are the additional servers IP numbers and where can they be found? If this is too technical for an amateur please say. Also if it's not too difficult to explain, how are additional DNS servers added to the PC and what are the numbers to add - is it to Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) from properties on the Local Area Connection? Thanks if that is easy to answer:confused:

Thanks - I thought the method advised by MugsGame was an alternative to OpenDNS.
Originally posted by MugsGame
Any advanced users considering using OpenDNS should read the full details of their service -- some of the features they provide (e.g. rewriting invalid hostnames) may annoy you.
I didn't see anything in the instructions about changing settings on the router which was also mentioned so don't know what MugsGame meant? If that explanation is there, I can't see it. Adding new IP addresses via Network Connections seemed straightforward enough - but then ignorance is bliss! It would be helpful to have a backup method to connect to the Internet if Utv's server went down again. I'm obviously not an advanced user:eek: so please excuse my ignorance.

The link that I posted above is specifically about changing the DNS settings on the router to point to OpenDNS rather than your normal ISP's DNS servers (details of which will probably be obtained dynamically). This is completely separate from changing the DNS settings of your host PC(s). I guess you could alternatively change the DNS settings on your PC(s) to point to OpenDNS or some other open DNS server rather than reconfiguring the router. Ultimately if you don't know what you're doing then don't do it as you may well screw things up. From what I've heard UTV rectified their DNS problems sometime on Sunday or Monday but are now swamped with support queries from people who messed with or reset their router configurations and are now totally confused!

My brother's utv was down as well - I told him to enter 194.46.8.9 Port 3128 into the proxy server box in internet options (got off boards.ie) and it seemed to work for getting him on the web - but didnt allow AVG to update it's virus database for some reason

Back