Anybody sold their property without using an estate agent?

Totally agree that estate agents are a waste of time! From a buyers perspective i have yet to meet an estate agent i would like to deal with a sale of my property. I spent 4-5 months traipsing around looking for an apartment in Dublin and most of my (simple) questions eg re Bus routes/ local amenities were met with "I'm not entirely sure about that" answers. Total incompetence in my eyes. A lot of them felt they were there merely to open the door.
Best of luck dealing with it yourself-it sounds like a very wise decision and if it catches on then maybe estate agents will be spurred on to actually make an effort to earn their money.

From a buyer's point of view, what would be the main information buyers normally want about a property?

bagoftricks said:
Have you been reading Freakonomics lately per chance?
About a year ago at this stage, got it from a friend in the US when it took off there.

Has anyone tried any of these 'Sell your home yourself' companies or alternatively does anyone know where I can get a couple of 'For Sale' signs?

I'm selling myself too and just about ready to go, I've sent an e-mail into DAFT suggesting that they should link up with a sign company, as the only way I can see to get hold of for sale signs is by signing up with one of the private selling websites, in my opinion, most of these are very poor and unprofessional. I would prefer my sign to direct people to DAFT than one of those websites. Of course most of them have a free service but then an 'extra' charge for providing you with signs. Sorry I haven't answered your question but I'm also looking for an alternative place to get 'For Sale' signs if anyone knows.

hi Wally, this n=might sound like a smart answer but it's not meant to be.. have a look in the Golden pages for signmakers,they can then put pretty much whatever you want on the sign for you.let me know how it goes.
also having sold a few places in the past i always find having friends and family put the posters up and work and emailing the details to others and asking others to forward to friends will also get you a few responses....

Yeah, I sound stupid when I say 'I never thought of that' in relation to getting a sign made. However, had a good look at the private selling websites last night and decided on a new one which is much more professional and has a better website than any of the others I've seen so had to make a decision on it as we decided we need to get organised over the next few weeks. Sign is on it's way but I really should have look at signmakers as all you want is a sign directing people to DAFT or your phone number. Anyway will see how this thing goes, thanks for the advice though...

re Sign makers

Had this sign (mmm can't paste or attach images!)

made for 20 euro by sign maker. It's made from tough corrugated plastic. I don't think the price he charged me was right as he was a friend of a friend.

On a different note I never had any problem with people not wanting to deal with an estate agent. Most people seemed happier that it was FSBO. It also meant I could really see whether someone was interested or not and the information I got from each viewing was invaluable in pitching to the next viewer.

i think it's a great idea to sell your house yourself.if you have the time, and you can always show it on Saturday's and Sunday's when agents are usually not available.
you can also live in it all week and do the tidy up on friday night/saturday morning.if people are interested they will stick to this time frame.
the bad point i can see is that people may hold back calling a mobile number on a sign board as most like to ring anonomously just to get the price.

therave said:
the bad point i can see is that people may hold back calling a mobile number on a sign board as most like to ring anonomously just to get the price.

People can still ring 'anonymously' to get a price, I would have no problem telling anyone what offers we have or what we are looking for over the phone. And anyway lately I have found (when trying to find out what other properties in my area are going for) that increasingly Estate Agents won't give you that info without annoying you for your name and number so they can ring you with their spiel. Very difficult to just ring up and get a price from them in one phonecall - in my experience.

point taken.. i have to say in Cork there is no problem with ringing ,no questions they just give you the details and the price..best of luck with the sale

Thanks, had plenty of positive pm's from people who've sold themselves so hopefully it will work out for us too.

Hi -- I hope I can add some light on FSBO, at least with respect to its operation here in New Zealand. Since this is not intended to be in any way definitive I will discuss the aspects that I know and understand. Also I will disclose that I have an interest in the operation of Green Door and am actively promoting master franchises in Ireland and UK.
Here in NZ we aim at the seller who is motivated not only by the saving of a typical 4% plus costs but also by the desire and belief that they can sell their own home -- that they can be in control! To do this we currently provide all the marketing support and statistical pricing information that is needed by a seller to get their property on the market at the right price. By law in NZ we cannot "act as an agent" for the vendor bur we can provide what we call "coaching" on negotiating and sale preparation. It is estimated that over 60% of sellers in NZ consider commission free services when they come to sell --- Green Door New Zealand (greendoor-realestate.co.nz) has been operating now for just over a year and has been successful in setting up a nation wide chain of franchisees. This service is not for EVERYBODY neither seller/buyer OR FRANCHISEE. It is rewarding though for those who do take to it in a serious and professional manner.
With regard to the demise of CONVENTIONAL realty -- I do not see FSBO as a revolution but rather as evolution offering as it does an A LA CARTE menu to the seller, something that in my view, all dealer/stakeholders in property will eventually have to do. Indeed this is most often the case with commercial deals where the vendor has access to the information that empowers, the information that in the residential market has always been well hidden and protected by realty professionals.

Back