Anybody sold their property without using an estate agent?

wally

Did a search but can't find anything on this. Seriously considering selling our property ourselves using daft, and one of those private seller website places (they can give you signs etc.). Basically we've had a useless estate agent and got rid of him this week. The main reason we succumbed to hiring an estate agent was to do with the myhome.ie exposure. Very reluctant to hire another but dread the thought of trying to juggle phonecalls, viewings etc. while both working full time jobs (where neither of us can take personal calls during the day). Our house is an a popular area and there was plenty of interest from viewings initially with the EA however he stopped making an effort after a couple of weeks when he realised we weren't going to accept an offer that soon. I know this website is more geared towards buying but I would be grateful of any info from anyone who has sold their house themselves / tried to sell their own house. Of course estate agents play on our fears of how to deal with bidders, booking deposits, paperwork etc. and I have to admit I would be worried about that kind of thing. Any feedback much appreciated.

My neighbour sold his apartment through Daft.
He was very happy with the response he got to the advert and achieved a price an estate agent would not have bettered.
Got calls within minutes of placing the advert. Got over one thousand hits.

If I were to sell my own, I'd definitely try daft first and only afterward would I use an estate agent if I wasn't getting a result.

Hi,

You should have a look at . This website was set up to avoid having to use an estate agent.

Regards.

KA

We sold our house through daft and we had a great response whereas the agent had not got us one viewing we were able to organise 6 in the first week. As for paper work..once we had agreed a price it was all handed to solicitor..we did maintain contact via email for some matters, and we received emails instead of phone calls for enquiries. I would strongly recommend trying Daft before committing to an agent!

yes i did a few years ago ,i put an ad in local paper got 6 callers and sold with no problems, good luck in this venture hope you do well

Thanks guys. I know it really makes sense, fingers crossed if we do go ahead with it...

Of course it makes sense. Why would anyone pay thousands of euro to some muppet to answer the phone and let people into your house??

Anyone selling in this current market that "employs" an estate agent is nothing short of a fool.

If the charge was a few hundred euro then I could try and understand the logic but to pay out thousands and thousands for something a child could do just beggars belief. It really does.

There's one born every minute of the day!

I agree with you completely Ballyman. I would be lazy about the phonecallas and viewings but then thinking about the few thousand I'd save would make me snap out of that. However, it is a fact you will be reaching less people as alot of people only view myhome so really that's the main thing putting me off. I do think DAFT is getting more hits these days though.

I'm in the same dilemma myself to be honest. I have two fears

- that people won't be aware of the house (as it's not on myhome.ie)
- people (in their inexperience) will be nervous of not dealing with an Estate Agent

On the plus side - I have viewed a few properties in my area recently, to judge potential agents and get an idea on prices. I was shocked at how laid back and ignorant a lot of the agents were. If you said - that room is a little damp or layout is awkward they wouldn't try to defend the house or sell a good point - it would be - Yes, you're right Sir........ For 5k or 6k (or even 7k for some quotes) they ain't exactley throwing in the charm or using their vast knowledge or skills.

All in all, I'm afraid I'll save 5k and end up loosing out on 2 or 3 bidders that might have upped the price by 10k/15k/20k.

You'll get the market rate of your house. No more. No less. And some clown in a suit who has no interest in anything only his commission cheque is not going to get anymore than you can get. End of story.

The people who will be bidding on your house haven't fallen off the moon two days ago but more than likely have been looking/bidding in the area for sometime and will pay the going rate.

This is not rocket science. I'll sell the thing for you for €3K if you want!! Take it or leave it.

agree that it seems very odd that a solicitor and an auctioneer should be paid the same amount. (solicitor dealing with alot more /for a lot longer and with alot more risk than the auctioneer) as far as i can see. (no offence to auctioneers) I would try and sell my house through daft as if it gets as many hits as people suggest then its popularity will increase rapiidly over the coming years and if you put it on there even to see how it gos fora week what have you lost?? If you wonder what an auctioneer has to gain by getting you an extra 5/10k above market value then you are right (feck all 50/100 euro) i have seen though that re-max will agree to get the market value/your asking price for the house say 300k at the basic commission of 1/1.5% and anything above that the take 5-10%...( i have absolutely no link/interest/ownership etccccc in re-max)!!

And some clown in a suit who has no interest in anything only his commission cheque is not going to get anymore than you can get. End of story.

I disagree.

Estate agents will pit one buyer against another and get up to all sorts of underhanded stuff to secure a sale. This is really what you're paying for. Get the right estate agent, and they'll certainly cover their fee.

I just wouldn't have the same bastard-like approach.

Get the right estate agent, and they'll certainly cover their fee.

I wouldn't have a problem paying to get the right estate agent but that is the problem, I haven't heard of a decent one at all. Don't mind paying when you think someone is putting the effort in. Money man the comment about the estate agent earning the same as the solicitor makes the estate agent sound even more ridiculous.

I think we will try and sell it ourselves, I would be sick to pay that money over, we've already wasted 200 euro paying the other muppet agent upfront for the myhome fees. How important do people think a sign outside is? I've looked at all those fsbo, privateseller etc. websites and the minimum is like 85 euro for a sign (i dont believe their websites get many hits the property searches don't bring up much). We live in a small cul-de-sac so there would be no passing trade so to speak so I do'nt feel like throwing more good money after bad... thanks for the replies guys

Neighbour got his sign made for €25 and got about 6 enquiries directly from it.
Sign was visible from busy road so it was worthwhile for him. On a cul-de-sac perhaps not.

Wally, I thing you have got the right idea here.

What are you paying your solicitor. I hate to see people working on a percentage basis. What has the price that you received for your property that go to do with anything. Why should your solicitor receive a percentage of this rather than a flat fee.

Surely, checking and preparing documents and contracts (most of them standard anyway), for a house in a Darndale entails the same amount of work as it does a house in Forock.

Apparently when EAs sell houses for themselves they make 10% more. Well in the US anyway!

I agree that solicitors should not get a percentage. I have worked as a legal secretary. The solicitor we are using for selling our house and buying the new one used to be my boss, and I know he is good but couldn't afford his rates, however I rang him and he has given me a great flat fee. We are selling a house which is less than 2 years old and buying a brand new house - in my eyes that is easy money for him, no problems with title and should be a piece of cake for him. Having worked as a conveyancing secretary and seeing what work has to be done in relation to the selling or buying of a property, I think the solicitors are ripping everyone off, but my solicitor has said to me there is so much competition for conveyancing work that the fees they are charging are coming down. However solicitors still aren't as much of a rip off as estate agents.

Spoke to someone else today who sold their own house. We are definitely going to give it a shot. Don't need to put it on till September or maybe even later so plenty of time for us to get organised, but the more I think about it the more determined I am. Hopefully I can report back sometime before Christmas with encouragement for anyone thinking of selling themselves without an estate agent. :)

If it's so simple, how come so few people are doing it !!!!! I've just looked up DAFT and couldn't find a single property for sale that didn't have an agent handling it. I'd like to see how those of you who intend going it alone get on. It coultd be a nightmare !!

Yeah I also looked on DAFT at properties in our area and there wasn't one that the owners were selling by themselves, but I have seen properties on DAFT before that were selling by themselves with just a mobile number.

"It could be a nightmare" - that's what we thought originally when we decided to sell. So we rang a few agents, all lazy b*stards to be honest, not even interested enough to try and coax us into going with them, got two out to view the house and went with one, as I previously mentioned, have wasted the past 3 months with him, crap photos, not getting back to us, coming back to us with stupid bids - the last 3 months has been the nightmare - selling ourselves couldn't be worse than battling with this clown about what price to ask for, what to say to people and worst of all, after getting a friend to phone twice, realising they're taking 2 days to return calls.

I think it's just like everything else in Ireland at the moment - we are a lazy bunch of tw*ts who are afraid to take a risk and consequently get conned into paying MASSIVELY over the odds for substandard services...

Did anyone see that documentary a few months ago about the reporter who went undercover in Foxtons, one of the biggest estate agents in the UK? What an eye opener! :eek:

Back