Anybody else having difficulties contacting Mercer?

SlugBreath

I phoned this number today and I cannot even understand what their voice recorded message is saying. 6039700.

Their Payroll Enquiries phone number is NEVER answered by anybody when you phone it.

Their online "contact" form is awful.

I find them the most frustrating company ever to deal with......miles ahead of the usual suspects.

Not a good day to try, am pretty sure they are closed today along with most financial institutions... hopefully you have better luck next week.

Hello,

My wife has had several bad experiences with them, when trying to deal with their pensions team, typically no one to take a call or have to chase them to action something that they should have done already etc.

Extremely poor service and if it wasn't for the fact that they are being paid by one of my wife's former employers, she'd have left them years ago !

Anyone thinking of appointing them, should go elsewhere.

I phoned this number today and I cannot even understand what their voice recorded message is saying. 6039700.

This would be par for the course for Mercer. The message left on their answering machine is gobbledygook. Obviously no one bothers to check their own services to the public.

My wife has had several bad experiences with them, when trying to deal with their pensions team, typically no one to take a call or have to chase them to action something that they should have done already etc.

When I had to deal with them it was a complete nightmare from start to finish. Unfortunately this month, my pension payment was taxed on emergency tax out of the blue. It has gone from no tax to more than half my payment taken in tax. No way to contact them. I absolutely dread the prospect of dealing with them when things get back to normal after the Easter.

Unfortunately this month, my pension payment was taxed on emergency tax out of the blue.
Is it not normal if there is a change in your tax circumstances that the Revenue issues tax credit updates to both you and the company who is paying your pension payment? They should have applied the new Certificate of Tax Credits to your payment?

It doesn't make sense that Mercer would apply Emergency Tax, thus depriving you of more than half your pension payment?

Why would any company do this to someone?

Any suggestions? Do they have much competition? Maybe that's the problem.

Obviously, much depends on the specific services you require. In general, I think there is plenty of competition tbf, but Mercer seem to have a notable part of the Irish corporate customer base (perhaps they are cheap, or internationally they are well regarded ?)

Based on personal experiences, I'm happy to suggest either Invesco or Goodbody, but I'm sure there are lots of others that are equally good (I've just not had direct dealings with them).

Thanks Joe, though I wasn't suggesting that the OP had a choice. My question was in relation to employers appointing Mercer and the competition out there. I have no experience myself of dealing with them but have not heard good reports. I think Mr Earl provides good advice to employers.

They should have applied the new Certificate of Tax Credits to your payment?

Oh! You will probably find that they missed the payroll cut off date or some useless and unhelpful comment like that. Probably sitting in someone's "in" basket.

Thanks Joe, though I wasn't suggesting that the OP had a choice. My question was in relation to employers appointing Mercer and the competition out there. I have no experience myself of dealing with them but have not heard good reports. I think Mr Earl provides good advice to employers.

There's plenty of competition in the corporate space. Mercer are a global firm though the the competition is somewhat reduced when it comes to managing schemes of multinationals. Companies like having their pensions managed by the same company worldwide and there's only a few in Ireland who can do that.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

There's plenty of competition in the corporate space. Mercer are a global firm though the the competition is somewhat reduced when it comes to managing schemes of multinationals. Companies like having their pensions managed by the same company worldwide and there's only a few in Ireland who can do that.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Hello Steven,

Fair points alright, but it doesn't excuse very poor service.

Mercer will get countless calls everyday from people who worked in company X in 1985 They will have no scheme number or member no etc. They will not have kept their last correspondence The company is likely closed now amalgamated or scheme combined onto some other All these queries have to be handled too.

Mercer will get countless calls everyday from people who worked in company X in 1985 They will have no scheme number or member no etc. They will not have kept their last correspondence The company is likely closed now amalgamated or scheme combined onto some other All these queries have to be handled too.

They could start with having their phone number printed clearly on their Webpage.

https://www.mercer.ie/

Even on their "Contact us" section it is not available.

Select "Contact Us", pick desired option... "Get assistance with my health or retirement benefits administered by Mercer "

Website updates with:
You can call us from Ireland at 1890 275 275 or if you are calling from outside of Ireland please use our international number +353 1 411 8505.
Alternatively you can email us at [email protected]

Not that tricky, at least on a desktop browser.

All very true.

Mercer are paid to provide services, so once they provide adequate staff and those staff do a good job, then there shouldn't be a problem... but, eh...... :oops:

Last edited:
Just phoned them there on behalf of a client. On hold for a minute, spoke to someone, she put me through to the person looking after the scheme. All done and dusted in a 2-3 minutes.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

my pension scheme got transferred to mercer 6 months ago, tried many many times to get information about my pension and join the online site one view, still to no avail, completely, utterly, and totally useless, if no joy today i'm going to complain through the ombudsman.
nick.

Back