Any sign of annual RTB registration?

murphaph1

There was talk of this racket coming in "soon" but does anyone know if it's actually happening? Has anyone been contacted by the RTB about it yet?

The swines told me they would write to inform me about it when it came in! Thanks. Now to log in to the worst IT experience the world has ever known and hand over money for nothing.

So, renewed it. I thank God I only have this one residential letting in Ireland every single time I use the RTB's "services". It is agonisingly slow and all it is doing is retrieving some data from a database and presenting it. Should be instant. It's a tiny data set these guys have to manage, a few hundred thousand records max.

So, I went through the rigmarole and once I made the payment it immediately dumped me out of the logged in portal area. No receipt or confirmation of payment was provided. Nothing sent to my email address. Luckily I paid by PayPal and at least they bother to send out a receipt! If I go into "payments" it does not list payments made, only payments pending. From such a greedy money grabbing operation I should expect nothing else I suppose! The primary function of the RTB is to fund itself.

And then to top it off, if I go to "Manage" registrations I now have a duplicate tenancy after renewing the original one. The original one is still showing a "pending". I did NOT create a new tenancy. I renewed the existing one which was due for renewal on the 1st of this month so not late or anything. Absolute catastrophe of a system. You couldn't really call it a system. It's a jumbled mess of components that don't appear to work with each other. Now, not for the first time, I have to send a mail to the RTB to get them to delete stuff manually.

Dreadful, dreadful money pit of an organisation that costs more and more. Soon the 2% rent increases will be going straight to these cowboys!

Glad it worked for you.

It is astonishing how bad their system is. This has been known for ages. They have admitted it themselves, but it never gets fixed. No private organisation would last with this type of 'service'.

Amen! You'd swear the data they have to manage is super complex. How they manage to mess up what is a really simple set of features is beyond me. I can only imagine the backend is a serious mess of fragmented data being stored in different databases, or maybe it's like the UK Home Office's "stateless" settled status "system" that grabs data on the fly every time the user logs in to determine if they have settled status or not. Feels exactly like that when using the RTB portal. It's like a lucky dip if the thing ins going to show you valid data or not. Angry email sent. Unfortunately the people reading the mails are probably in no position to fix the system and answering angry mails is probably what puts food on their tables so they presumably have little interest in seeing it fixed either! They can "justify" their positions based on "all the emails they get".

This is the current auto-response you get:
We are currently experiencing very high volumes of emails. This is causing delays to our normal response times.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused and are working to respond to these emails and reduce any waiting times.

Thank you for your email. We endeavour to respond to your query within 14 days.

Please note that any updates to registrations such as amending rent, updating tenants, deactivating a registration, etc., must be completed via your online account.

Please also note if you are submitting a Notice of Termination or a Notice of Termination Return form these will still be processed but a letter of acknowledgment will no longer be issued.

For more information on RTB Online Account Creation, Tenancy Registration, How to Manage your RTB Account & RTB Video Guides please visit https://www.rtb.ie/info-hub
In a dwindling pool of landlords this A-Team is experiencing an ever increasing volume of emails. How does that happen if it isn't down to their own incompetence?!

It has been there since last April
January.

Your Registration is Approaching its Due Date
This is a notification to inform you that our records show that you registered the tenancy on 01-Jan-2022, which commenced on 01-Jan-2022. With the introduction of annual registration, this means that the registration for the abovementioned tenancy is now approaching its due date. If this tenancy is still in place, you are required to register this tenancy again.

The annual registration fee due is € 40.00. Where the tenancy is not registered by 31-Jan-2023, a late fee of €0.00 is applied for each month, or part thereof, that the tenancy registration is deemed to be late. You may receive a fee exemption, if you made a Further Part 4 registration on the same tenancy, prior to 4 April 2022.

I got no such notification, which given the haphazard nature of the whole system does not surprise me one bit. I actually set a calendar reminder for myself to check if this fantastic idea had been implemented yet. Joke of an organisation at every level.

Have said it before - print the form and post it. Let them deal with the paperwork if they can't make a system that works properly.
I'd be concerned that they would claim not to have received the paperwork or received it late. At least when you pay online you have some record from the payment method to prove you sent €40 to them on such and such a date. It doesn't prove that a particular tenancy was registered/renewed but in my case I only have a single residential tenancy in Ireland so it kind of covers me.

This whole RTB is GUBU. Why do only landlords have to pay to maintain what is effectively a tenant advocacy organisation anyway? The fees should at least be split 50:50 if they insist on having this QUANGO at all.

This whole RTB is GUBU. Why do only landlords have to pay to maintain what is effectively a tenant advocacy organisation anyway? The fees should at least be split 50:50 if they insist on having this QUANGO at all.
On top of that, it's absolutely crazy that for almost two decades now, a residential landlord's entitlement to claim tax deductions for mortgage interest has been predicated upon compliance with such a dysfunctional system.

Last edited:
Keep a copy & if it makes you feel better send by recorded delivery; they'll cash your cheque fast enough!
I don't have a chequebook! Do they still exist in Ireland? I use my German bank for all my payments and they don't issue chequebooks and haven't done so for at least 20 years if not longer. Cheques aren't covered by SEPA anyway so I doubt a German cheque would even have to be accepted in Ireland. The last time I got an Irish cheque it cost me €11 to lodge it lol. I think the cheque was only for €20 or so!

residential landlord's entitlement to claim tax deductions for mortgage interest
is it only the mortgage interest for which you have to be registered to claim deduction? Can you claim other repair/replacements without being registered? (from a revenue perspective I mean)

is it only the mortgage interest for which you have to be registered to claim deduction? Can you claim other repair/replacements without being registered? (from a revenue perspective I mean)
Of course. It's a crazy setup but not that crazy.

It's only mortgage interest that you can legally deduct only if you are RTB registered. Other stuff can be deducted regardless. Such a bizarre thing to include in the tax code!

From the RTB website - began 4 April 2022

APRIL 4, 2022
Landlords Take Note: Tenancies Must Now be Registered Annually with the RTB
  • New legislation commencing today requires landlords to register their tenancies with the RTB every year, within one month of the anniversary of when the tenancy began.
See also from the Law Society
New annual registration measure for landlords

Back