Any problems with eircom broadband?

Hi,

anyone having problems with eircom broadband last night and tonight? Have tried it on pc, laptop and iphone both nights and some pages not loading for ages. Anyone else experiencing problems?

Thanks

Been busy, but back now.

Yep it was dire.

I was trying to download files I needed to read via e-mail, which is mail1.eircom.net and it stalled twice on a 2.5Mb file.

Using the ping command it was losing 1, 2, 3 and all 4 test packets during this period.

Left it until a bit later when the load usually dies down from the sufrats and constantly pinged while I was downloading and I got it through.

Hardest download to manage and the slowest since I moved from dialup on a 14.4 V2 Modem.

Its since been fine.

ONQ

It is very frustrating that eircom.net won't put up a statement on their website, stating what the problem is and how they are resolving it.

A lot of people will start adjusting their system, when it looks as if we should just wait until eircom solves the problems.

I emailed eircom.net asking them why they do not put up a prominent notice on their website about it. They sent me this reply. I suppose it's the closest to a public statement so far:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent email to eircom.net Technical Support.

In regards to your query, we are currently experiencing a system wide outage. This is an intermittent issue and normal service shall resume ASAP. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

eircom.net Residential Technical Support.
---------------------------------------------

It could be a damage limitation measure - don't acknowledge on their website that they have a problem, they are hoping that only a small number of customers run into the problem and notice it, before normal service can resume when they fix it.

How are we supposed to know when they have fixed the issue for good though if they won't admit publically that they have an issue?!

Had this problem too last night. Could log into some websites but not others. Didn't bother changing any settings just tried again after 11pm and it seemed to be better.
Still could not log into facebook or RTE last night.

Paul Cullen reports on it in today's [broken link removed]

Suspected hacker attack on Eircom internet service

PAUL CULLEN

MANY OF Eircom’s 500,000 internet subscribers have been left offline or experienced delays in web browsing at times this week because of a suspected attack by hackers.

Some customers who tried to connect to popular sites such as RTÉ, Facebook or Bebo were redirected to incorrect websites, often displaying images of advertising or scantily clad women.

The company blamed the problems on “an unusual and irregular volume of internet traffic” directed at its website, which affected the systems and servers that provide access to the internet for its customers.

Internet discussion groups speculated that the problems were caused by a hacker accessing Eircom’s domain name server (DNS) system through a denial-of-service attack. This involves a target site being saturated with messages and requests to the point it can no longer function properly.
The Eircom spokesman said it was too early to say whether the problems were caused by hackers. Although unable to say what the cause of the problem was, he said the company believed it had now rectified matters.
RTÉ said it was concerned at what had happened and had raised the matter with senior management at Eircom. “However, we understand that RTÉ.ie was not specifically targeted and that it is a more widespread issue on Eircom’s network.”

The Eircom spokesman said it had taken a number of steps, including software updates and hardware interventions, to restore full internet service.

He also rejected claims that the company had failed to inform customers, saying a notice was put up on the website yesterday.

Just rang broadband support twice ..... it rang out ...... twice!

I've never had a problem 'til now.

As Brendan says it's an awful pity that customers aren't kept updated.

I have instant messenger access, intermittent email (Outlook) access and hit and miss browser access. It took 3 refreshes to get AAM to open up. Another few refreshes to get new posts up.

Edit: Tried a third time .... message says they are experiencing a heavy amount of traffic and are working on it.

Want to hear for yourself: 1890 260 260 (cost of a local call).

Tell 'em Paddy sent you!

Edit (again): Internet Service Announcement here:[broken link removed]

Last edited:
In case people have difficulty getting through to eircom.net's site, here is their announcement. It was not there yesterday when I looked at around 13.30.

INTERNET SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Customers may have recently experienced delays in web browsing and may have been unable to access the Internet. In some cases, customers may have been redirected to incorrect websites.
This issue has been caused by an unusual and irregular volume of internet traffic being directed onto our network, and this impacted the systems and servers that provide access to the Internet for our customers.
eircom is working continuously to minimise the impact for customers and has taken a number of steps, including software updates and hardware interventions, to fully restore internet service.

should be entitled to a discount or something off next bill since everyone was affected

problem here also, but with desktop rather than laptop. Though laptop sometimes slows or stops also.
Will wait and see what the experts are saying here, as don't know much about the whole thing.

I think it's a case of "we don't know what's wrong, we tried switching it off and on again!" Only joking!

It is strange that everyone is experiencing the meltdown between 9-11 most nights. Obviously this is the busiest period for home usage and if something/someone is putting pressure on the network the added volume at these periods is causing it to fall over.

With the amount of money eircom pays for support etc it shouldn't be taking this long to isolate the problem and fix it. I think they claimed it was fixed but I for one had connection issues around 22:15 last night.

Don't know about you guys but I am lost without it. Funny how dependent you get on technology. It's not that long ago that we were all on dial up and that was worse than most of what we are experiencing now. I don't know how we ever put up with dial up.

I found it amusing that they said they put a notice up on their internet site about the problem. Eh? Hello. We can't connect? I find eircom.net's email website one of the hardest to access when the internet is slow. Drives me demented most of the time!

It went off totally around Midnight the night before last.
Nothing would bring it up.
Rebooting usually refreshes the IP stack - nada.
Rebooting and pinging - nada.
Last night it was okay.
Its some American script kiddie back from school.
They're six hours and probably more behind Europe.
So its 6pm there when its 12pm here.

Grrrrr.

oNQ.

I am more surprised that all you dedicated followers of Aboutmoney are using Eircom for Internet access when there are cheaper (quality)alternatives available :p

if it's only happening at certain times I'd say there's either congestion on the line (to many people logging on at once) or segmentation (node was over sold)

Anyone still having these problems with Eircom broadband? I am only getting intermittent coverage. It's really annoying.

ya. was fine the last couple of days but from 5pm today it's been bad for me. Driving me bonkers!!!!!

Back