Any problems with eircom broadband?

g1g

Hi,

anyone having problems with eircom broadband last night and tonight? Have tried it on pc, laptop and iphone both nights and some pages not loading for ages. Anyone else experiencing problems?

Thanks

I am also - thought it was just me, as normally very fast. Problems started Sunday and even worse today if anything.

Yes - same with me. Glad to know it is a nationwide problem so, and not just my computer. Perhaps it is due to the present weather conditions.

I have been having problems with it too. The modem shows a red light and then I cannot connect to internet. I phoned eircom broadband and they gave me some directions and a password to use and it worked ok, but it does happen often enough--when the weather is bad!

Me too...

I'm with Eircom for over two years, and last night was the first time I had problems connecting to the internet, and when I finally connected, it was dropping constantly...

As other posters have said, I thought it was just me...

Darth...

same here. It starting going wrong last night around 9pm.

the funny thing is it would bring up the google search results page as fast as usual but then wouldn't connect to anything. Very frustrating and i gave up in the end.

It had better be working by the time i need it tonight!.grrr :mad:

same here too. it's done it at random times over the last 2 weeks, i thought it might be something to do with the speed upgrade they gave me a month ago (from 1mb to 4mb). but sunday and yesterday i had the identical problem to you woodbine.

hopefully they aknowledge that there is a national problem, and fix it quickly. i am in the dublin area. many of us rely on it for working as well.

ditto here ... last night and a few weeks ago.

I has instant messenger access but no browser pr oulook access.

Got to be early for a change!

I have the same problem.

Can anyone summarise the 13 pages on boards.ie about it?

I note that they first reported this problem on Wednesday last.

Has eircom made any announcement about it

I have the same problem also. Started on Sunday evening and continued yesterday evening. Mine seems to work ok during the day time...very frustrating.

Very weak Vodafone coverage today too... is this a coincidence or should we blame the weather? :)

Same here. My connection was saying local access only. I looked up a solution to this but ended up doing a system reset. I only posted last friday to say I never had a problem with eircom. Seems to be working today. Done a speed test and got 2.5 mb on 3mb connection. I wish eircom would post something on their website to say there was a problem. Mrs. Coldcake blames the weather conditions, but can this be true?

ya its fine for me during the day, it's only about 8.30 that it has gone haywire the last two nights. No weather problems in Cork so don't think that could be it.

they seem to be advocating an open DNS.
see page 11 of the thread
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608998&page=11

I have not done this myself. if you do attempt this i would recomend taking note of anything you change, just in case like.

Reckon we need to have this info pretty much at the start of every page. Invaluable and pretty easy workaround to the problems going on with eircom's DNS servers:

Quote:
Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
Sec. DNS: 208.67.220.220

You will have to edit your Netopia Router settings.

http://192.168.1.254/

Go into Expert mode/Configure/Connection:

Primary and Sec DNS settings are there, change to above, and hit Save/Restart button.

The above settings are on the Netopia 2247 wireless router, new GUI.

post originally by Irishpancake

If you prefer to reset on your PC rather than the router, here are the details from eircom's site slightly altered to use the OpenDNS addresses:

•Right-click on the connection you are using, which will either be a Local Area Connection if you have connected the modem using the yellow Ethernet cable or a Wireless Network Connection if you are connected wirelessly.
•If you see an Enable option, click it.
•Select Properties.
•Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/Ipv4).
•Click Properties
•Select Use the following DNS server addresses.
•The Preferred DNS server is 208.67.222.222 (eircom's is 213.94.190.194)
•The Alternate DNS server is 208.67.220.220 (eircom's is 213.94.190.236)
•Click OK.

I have the same problem.

Can anyone summarise the 13 pages on boards.ie about it?

The people on boards.ie recommend to change your dns settings to use opendns. Sorry Brendan but not au fait enough with this technology. Hopefully Eircom release a statement in the meantime with advice for their customers that they have fixed and made secure their service, and we don't have to do any jiggery-pokery with settings.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/13367/cio/eircom-confirms-dns-outage

Eircom confirms DNS outage

Ireland's largest ISP Eircom has confirmed that there was a domain name server (DNS) outage on its website last night after users complained they were being redirected to bogus sites, leading to speculation the company’s server has been hacked.
The company so far has not issued a statement on the extent of the outage or if indeed it was hacked. A statement is due shortly.
Users last night posted threads on Boards.ie that they had been experiencing serious DNS slowdowns and odd occurances such as when visiting Facebook or RTE.ie they would be redirected to sites showing pictures of scantily clad women or advertising pages.

Back