Any problems with eircom broadband?

Yea, just this evening, can't access a lot of familar websites. Happened about a week or two ago as well.

Same here in Dublin...

It's taken me the best part of an hour to check two email accounts...

A flipping pain....

Darth...

can't even get up www.eircom.net with a 3 net connection! I need them as my incoming mail server and need to check e mails urgently. Cant even look at m y webmail!!! Hope they get it sorted soon!!! REALLY SOON

Amazing how they still can't isolate the problem. They have yet to come out and say what the real problem is! Is a hacker or is it their network? Perhaps they still haven't a clue. I wish they would keep us informed. It is like they are trying to sweep it under the carpet.

If it keeps up I will have to seriously consider an alternative and I work for them!!!!

I have changed to the Open DNS settings and everything is working again. At least this site is more helpful than eircom.

No eircom.net won't open. Don't know if its the fact that i am now using open dns or maybe the site is down.

Phew! Finally found a conversation about eircom's iffy connection. I thought it was because I am with another company but have to use eircom for receiving mail. At least so far I haven't sussed out another way of getting free of eircom. I have had very poor connection in the last few days, and to make it slightly more difficult, I use a mac and the others in the house use pc and I am not sure if they have had problems.I have other addresses but the one I prefer to use for email naturally is the one that doesn't require web access. Anyway, just so glad to find a forum for finding out what is going on here.

Folk's, Thankfully I am with BT! But I have been beseiged with calls tonight from people to help them. Behind every Internet address there is an IP address it is the IP address that is used to connect to the website. The DNS server translates the www address into something like this www.askaboutmoney.com => 82.195.144.147, The problem Eircom are having is that their DNS servers are being swamped with requests.

I do have a temporary fix for the problem but please be careful what you do and you do it at your own risk! You can change your DNS servers to OpenDNS they are a company who have been around a while.

Anyway, the solution is to go to your eircom broadband router http://192.168.1.254/

Go to Expert Mode, Configure, Connection

Write down and keep the values in Primary and secondary DNS

beside Primary DNS Server type in 208.67.222.222
beside Secondary DNS Server type in 208.67.220.220

then click on Save and Restart Connection.

Shut down browser, say prayer to jeebus, restart.

When the problem has been rectified in a day or 2 change back to the original settings.

Now the additional health warning, I have suggested to people that they use this only to access emails etc and browsing the Web. I would not do my online banking etc over a third party DNS server. But at least you will be able to keep up to date with the wondering Eircom Notices!

Hope this helps

Announcement on Eircom NET Site;

INTERNET SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Customers may have recently experienced delays in web browsing and may have been unable to access the Internet. In some cases, customers may have been redirected to incorrect websites.
This issue has been caused by an unusual and irregular volume of internet traffic being directed onto our network, and this impacted the systems and servers that provide access to the Internet for our customers.
eircom is working continuously to minimise the impact for customers and has taken a number of steps, including software updates and hardware interventions, to fully restore internet service.

OPENDNS is reputable and secure and worth using for those who wish to restrict web access very effectively at home or work. I see no problem using it for online banking.

OPENDNS is reputable and secure and worth using for those who wish to restrict web access very effectively at home or work. I see no problem using it for online banking.

Probably just as safe as Eircom, tbh.

Also you don't need to change any settings in the router, you can simply change the DNS settings in the PC. Full instructions are on the Open DNS site.

eircom.net has given a bit more information on Morning Ireland as reported in The Irish Times:

[broken link removed]

Hi Brendan and thanks for the Update.

I have to say that I find Eircom's response totally underwhelming.

Last evening I was preparing for a High Court case to go this morning and I couldn't get either an urgen e-mail from my client or do online research, both needed to complete a Report.

I had to face a Senior Counsel this morning with a Draft Report before a day of negotiations.

I cannot begin to tell you how utterly annoyed I am and the receptionists had the luck of God with them that I was ten minutes late phoning them today.

Even the Broadband complaints e-mail facility on their website doesn't work and its hosted on an Apache server!

The need ot get their act together hugely or I'll move to a more reliable provider and I'm certain I won't be the only one.

Everyone is looking for savings in the current climate, but if you cannot complete the work, you won't be getting paid. Full stop.

ONQ

I'd better do for dinner now, with the only sure thing that I won't be able to get back on after 9:00 this evening.

I await being pleasantly surprised.

Or not.

ONQ.

Back