Any idea why RTE Radio 1 is gone from Virgin cable?

Another message from Virgin Media

Hey Brendan. We can confirm 100% there was no changes made to your account whatsoever over the weekend. However we are happy you're up and running again Have a good day! ^Rachel

and my reply

That really is shocking customer service and a failure to understand the problem. It was never an account problem. Someone there switched off RTE Radio 1 and has now switched it back. I suggest you escalate this to find out what you did to switch it off and how you switched it back on . Brendan

RTE1 is present and correct on my Android TuneIn app.
As it is on mine. The issue is specifically getting it in a first gen Google Nest Display. I can get it on my android device, Google Nest Display (2nd Gen) and Google Nest Speakers!

Google say it's an RTÉ prob. Not that I take their word as gospel.

OK, so it's gone again.

I wonder if it's something to do with RTE and not Virgin?

If it is, Virgin should know about it.

Brendan

Given that it disappeared from the Google Nest at the same time.
And now, it appears that 2FM is gone...

I think it probably is something to do with RTE.

I sent this email to them just now.

Hello

I listen to RTE Radio 1 via the FM analogue signal coming via Virgin

It disappeared last week and Virgin said it had nothing to do with them.

When I discussed it here:

someone said that it is also gone from the Google Nest Display/Tunein interface. ( I have no idea what that means.)

But it sounds as if someone in RTE switched off something which is picked up by both Virgin and this Google Nest thing.

It came back on Sunday. But now it's gone again.

Just to be clear BBC Radio 4 and Newstalk are all still being received.

Just checked and there is also a blank spot on 91.7 fm which I assume is RTE 2FM

I want to make this absolutely clear. This has nothing to do with the TV box. This is the analogue signal coming in separately via a Virgin cable linked to an analogue radio.

Brendan

Can confirm RTE1 and seemingly all RTE radio channels currently do not work for me on the TuneIn app on iphone ("An error occurred with this stream"), however I can still get it on the RTE app and a Sonos speaker which uses TuneIn.

My guess is RTE have changed their encoding recently to something not as widely supported.

It sounds like Virgin take a digital stream and convert it to analog for the free signal on cable. Possibly whatever equipment they're using is also unable to decode the current RTE streams. If I was them I'd be letting RTE try to fix it before messing around with s/w updates or buying new equipment.

Can confirm RTE1 and seemingly all RTE radio channels currently do not work for me on the TuneIn app on iphone ("An error occurred with this stream"), however I can still get it on the RTE app and a Sonos speaker which uses TuneIn.
RTÉ Radio 1 is still present and correct and working fine on TuneIn on Android for me.

Another useless reply from Virgin

as this is an analogue radio channel and you are not accessing it through the box, we would not have any way of changing this. It would be an issue on RTE's side. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused. ^Suzanne

I presume that you are using an analogue radio of some sort to receive RTE Radio 1. Is there any reason you have to use Virgin? Can't you use a normal aerial?

I presume that you are using an analogue radio of some sort to receive RTE Radio 1. Is there any reason you have to use Virgin? Can't you use a normal aerial?
Because he wants to get other stations such as BBC R4 etc. from the same feed.

@ashambles

It's back for me now. Could you check it on your yoke.

And whatever is on 91.7 is back -presumably 2FM.

Brendan
It was still not working on my TuneIn ios application as of 17:30 today. It's a non-problem there as you'd use the RTE app directly on the phone since the TuneIn free version inserts its own ad(s) before starting the stream - enough ads on RTE already.

I used to use those cable radio frequencies in a different house, didn't even need a subscription to multichannel to listen, nice if a bit surprising to see they still keep it going.

I am getting nowhere with technical support.

Does anyone have a link to where Virgin said that they were not switching off analogue radio?

Found it and sent it back to technical support

This is deeply frustrating. Please escalate this to someone who knows the history.

Read your own FAQhttps://www.virginmedia.ie/switchoff/

Will this affect the Analogue radio service?

No, analogue radio will not be affected by this change so you can continue to enjoy the service.

To be honest, Brendan, I'd start looking at another way of listening to the radio. The analog radio feed is probably provided by some old piece of hardware that is out of support by the vendor, and is low on a list of equipment to be supported by technical staff (f there are many left that are familiar with it) . I remember that analog feed back in the 90s :)

Back