Any idea why RTE Radio 1 is gone from Virgin cable?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I listen to RTE Radio 1 on my radio through Virgin Media through a cable. It's 89.4 FM.

All the other stations e.g. BBC Radio 4 are there but Radio 1 is gone this morning.

I presume it will come back in due course but I don't suppose it has moved frequency?

Brendan

Do you mean that it's gone completely - i.e. not listed in the channel selector guide - or is still listed but silent when you select it?

89.4 is completely silent.

There isn't a channel selector guide as such - it's a tuner where you tune into the frequency.

Brendan

Sorry, I thought you meant using the VM TV box to listen to radio via the TV via the VM channel guide.

I thought that all analog signals were gone from VM cable a long time ago? I guess not if you were using them up to recently and others are still there even if RTE1 is not?

Have you tried scanning/retuning the radio to see if you can find RTE Radio 1 somewhere else on the spectrum?

Edit: oh...
Will this affect the Analogue radio service?

No, analogue radio will not be affected by this change so you can continue to enjoy the service.

A tangential issue...Radio 1 has disappeared from the Google Nest Display/TuneIn interface. When I contacted Google they said it was a problem at RTE end. All other radio stations work fine...

Curious. I can access it via the Radio channels listed on my 360 box, but seems like you're not going through the digital box at all.

Still no resolution to this.

I see that the same thing happened before.

Strange that both then and now VM are claiming that they don't support the analogue radio signals even though you have been using them up to now. Not sure what they mean by "support" and it would seem odd if they happened to be there by accident? Also, their own analogue switch off page that I linked to earlier explicitly says that the analogue radio signals would not be affected. Very odd... :confused:

A tangential issue...Radio 1 has disappeared from the Google Nest Display/TuneIn interface. When I contacted Google they said it was a problem at RTE end. All other radio stations work fine...
RTE1 is present and correct on my Android TuneIn app.

I have replied to their tweets that they don't support analogue radio:

Such nonsense. It's back now of its own accord. someone "who doesn't support analogue radio" has obviously just flicked a switch to turn it back on. Brendan

Last edited:
Fairly typical of my experience with VM support.
They often come out with complete rubbish that is not true.
I remember one agent telling me that I had "250 megabytes per second" broadband. :rolleyes:

This Virgin Media Ireland analogue radio service could literally disappear overnight. Virgin are not charging for it and if any old equipment fails they will not replace it if in fact they can still find a new part or old for replacement. It's on it's last legs. They probably should just come out and say it's shutting down and give people a few month's notice and then switch it off completely. Instead they are just happy to leave it on but if it breaks it's last on the list if on the list at all to fix.

This Virgin Media Ireland analogue radio service could literally disappear overnight. Virgin are not charging for it and if any old equipment fails they will not replace it if in fact they can still find a new part or old for replacement. It's on it's last legs. They probably should just come out and say it's shutting down and give people a few month's notice and then switch it off completely. Instead they are just happy to leave it on but if it breaks it's last on the list if on the list at all to fix.
They did come out and assured users that the analogue switch-off would have no adverse impact on the analogue radio signals!
But then they told Brendan that they are no longer "supported" even though he has been using them for years...

They are letting it die a slow death. A friend who work's for them has told me basically it's not supported with any kind off priority.

They are letting it die a slow death. A friend who work's for them has told me basically it's not supported with any kind off priority.
So why does their website say that customers shouldn't worry about the analogue switch-off adversely impacting the analogue radio signal?

Back