Anxious bride seeks tanning solution

Noor77

Hi All

Maybe someone out there can give a bit of advice! A good friend of mine is getting married in 6 weeks. Generally all the plans have being going very well and she is more or less really looking forward to the big day. The only problem is fake tan! Sounds strange I know, but the story goes like this:

My friend rarely wears fake tan, she's not very keen on it and wasn't going to wear any on her wedding day. Then she found out that her three bridesmaids (her sisters) are planning to be all tanned up and now she feels that she has to do likewise as she does't want to look like a ghost beside her sisters. Unfortunately, at the last two weddings she was at where the bride wore fake tan it ended up getting onto the dresses and looked very unsightly - near the arms and chest area of the dresses. She doesn't want to look like a melting tangerine on the day so we have been trying lots of different tans and wearing white. But to no avail...they all seem to stain at one point or another! She is getting really anxious and panicky at this stage. I told her that she could always decide to not wear any tan and ask her sisters to do likewise, but she reckons that the sisters would be up in arms if she so much as suggested this. Her soon-to-be husband isn't helping matters. So far this week he has: 1. brought home a tin of wood varnish and told her to get busy with a painbrush! and 2. suggested that she start taking baths in water filled with teabags!

I know it seems quite a minor thing, but it is really getting my friend down. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Noor

Re: Anxious Bride

Has she tried the spray on tan in the beauty salons? I have no experiance myself, but I understood that they spray it on, you wash it off some time later, and then the tan lasts for about a week, so I would imagine it doesn't come off on clothes too easily. My sister got St Tropez done for her wedding this way...

terrysgirl33 said:
Has she tried the spray on tan in the beauty salons? I have no experiance myself, but I understood that they spray it on, you wash it off some time later, and then the tan lasts for about a week, so I would imagine it doesn't come off on clothes too easily. My sister got St Tropez done for her wedding this way...

I know this is an awful question ...but ...did you notice if it stained the dress???

Hi Norr77
Im getting married in 8 days and have the same problem.

My skin gives off a lovely bluey hue and every time I put on fake tan I look like Ive been tangoed. That said I have to wear something or otherwise I look too "drained" in the dress.

Decleror have a very "fair" tan (in a red tube) she can go there and they ll apply or alternatively Im giving the spray tan a go at the weekend and if you're intereseted Ill post my findings.

cas.

Both myself and my sister got the spray on tan done for her wedding and it turned out great. The best thing to do is to get it done about 2 days before your wedding day and it will have faded to a nice natrual tan. Also if the salon do mis a bit you can go back the next day to get it touched up.

Hi Noor77,

Has your friend tried the Johnsons Holiday Skin range? It comes in either fair or dark. I have tried the fair range and realistically you need about 2-4 coats before it's very noticable, so it'd probably suit your friend as it won't be dark enough to come off on her wedding dress.

Otherwise, as an alternative she could just use some bronzer on her chest, back on arms? This wud also do the trick!

Best of luck on the day,

Sally

PINK said:
would she do sunbeds. she could hire one out for the month or 6 weeks

She is very, very fair skinned and burns if so much as a baby ray of sun goes near her, so I don't think she would be able to do a sunbed session. Thanks for all the tips so far. I was wondering if there might be a kind of "fixer" spray that you could put on over the tan so it couldn't budge???

Noor77 said:
Maybe someone out there can give a bit of advice! A good friend of mine is getting married in 6 weeks.
Why doesn't she sunbathe for the next 6 weeks. Even when the sun is not breaking through the UV rays that penetrate the atmosphere should still ensure that she eventually tans the "natural" (but not necessarily healthy) way.

The Johnsons Holiday Skin stuff left me streaky so if she's going to use that tell her to practice beforehand.

I can't believe you guys are advocating that the bride-to-be uses a sunbed or sunbathes. IMO I'd rather get fake tan on a once off dress, than suffer from premature aging and / or increase the risk of developing skin cancer in the future.

a developing spray tan should not "run" at all...any rub on tans could however run and cause staining, ive never noticed any staining with the spray tans.

if she is naturally very fair and pale and doesnt usually use fake tan i dont think she should on her wedding day, pale skin just doesnt take to fake tan ... and it could turn out very wrong which would ruin her day...A skin moisturiser with a bit of sparkle on the shoulders and cleavage will probably look better.......

bit sick of the tangooed bride look, :eek: anyway, she should stick to being pale and a bit different, Nicole Kidman rarely wears fake tan and I like that whitish glow.... ( i would say that Im a red head)

She is looking for a solution "in a bottle" so to speak and not natural or sunbed tanning. She just does't want to look like a tangerine (there are quite enough of them going around!) nor does she want to have an orange streaked dress. At the moment her fiancé's wood varnish is looking like the best option!

decembersal said:
I can't believe you guys are advocating that the bride-to-be uses a sunbed or sunbathes. IMO I'd rather get fake tan on a once off dress, than suffer from premature aging and / or increase the risk of developing skin cancer in the future.
Noor77 asked for advice on how her friend could get a colour. I did point out that sunbathing might not be the best way to do this from a health point of view but it is one option. The great thing about discussion forums is that people can give their advice/opinion and then the recipient of said advice/opinion can exercise their own discretion as a grown adult (in this case) to make a decision for themselves. One wonders if fake tan products are 100% free of negative side effects too... :confused: Aren't there such things as tanning tablets available in case that's another option? Can't vouch for their safety or efficacy but yet another possibility.

For sparkly skin I'd recommend Body so Fine by Benefit - makes pale skin look great. Or alternatively Benefit have a new product called Jiffy Tan - have only seen it on the website (www.benefitcosmetics.com) but it looks good.

yes benefit is great, I have a duster that leaves a lovely sparkle, everyone comments on how my skin is glowing... She should get into the benefit counter in BT's they have a lovely range and the girls at the counter should be able to recommend something to life the skin without going tangooed....

Hi Noor77, a few years ago when Mr.V and I took the plunge, I went around trying out various tans to take off the Irish summer non-glow! I tried San Tropez ( applied in beauticians) and was appalled ( seriously tangoed). I eventually settled on Clarins Self Tanning milk ( i.e. not the gel type) , which is a fairly mild tan, but still gives a bit of a glow. You can apply it for several days in a row if you want to get a deeper tan. Its best done applied the night before, you can shower in the morning and it doesnt come off after that. If she hasnt tried it already, she could give it a try. I suppose some products suit different people.

I reckon she should stay natural.
If the tan streaks it will ruin her day and fake tan smells really bad as well and it dries your skin out.

So far we have tried two Clinique self tanners - one a spray and the other a cream, both the johnsons summer skin ones (the fair and darker one), a salon sprayed san tropez, boots no. 7 cream self tanner, soltan self tanner and another one that her aunt got in spain. She didn't like any of them!

I got married recently and am fair skinned and never use fake tan. The lady who did my make-up used some rimmel bronzer on my arms and shoulders. It looks find in the pics and while a little of it rubbed off on the inside of the dress it didn't stain the outside.

Maybe she should explain to her sisters that she doesn't want to wear fake tan and would prefer if they didn't...after all it is her day. Even if they do fake it she will look fantastic anyway...all brides do.;)

Back