anti virus software recommend?

Had norton and when it expired an IT mate set up AVG and spybot, run skybot once a week. All free.

Its called, spybot search and destory, if you do a search you'll find it easily. My mate set it up for me so all I know, is that it works.

bought eset nod32 from their canadian web site, worked out 19 euro for a 2 year license, in my view it is at par with kaspersky but lower on usage of computer resources

I am worried now- is the free AVG not sufficent?
AVG Free is an excellent piece of AV software. I've been using it for a number of years (I think, it certainly seems that way... couldn't be sure how long though) and have recently installed it on a new machine (I've no connection with AVG, but I do have connections to other AV providers through family [and associated discounts etc.] and still use AVG Free) and have yet to have any virus problems.

You're question re "sufficient" depends on what you are looking for. Some of the commercial AV software products provide a lot more tools than the AVG Free product (as outlined in some of the previous posts... e.g. identifying tracking cookies).

However, most/all of the additional benefits of the commercial products can be picked up by using additional free software. Spybot Search and Destroy is a great product for identifying spyware/malware, Spyware Blaster is also a great product (more pro-active, block the nasties before they get to your PC rather than just identifying/removing them). Do a search on the net and you'll find any number of free security tools which can be run alongside your AVG product (many of them identified in the key posts here on AAM).

To set up a "safe" / "clean" machine you need a number of products, not just AV software.

A good firewall is probably the most important (Zonealarm or Comodo [if on Vista this is one of the better compatible firewalls IMHO]). Next would be a good AV product (AVG Free is a great choice, but lots of other options [both free and pay] available). These are the ones which can cause compatibility issues, so only have one firewall and one AV product installed on a machine.

After that you can add literally hundreds of additional security tools depending on how far you want to go with the safety. I'd certainly suggest using Spyware Blaster (I like the idea of blocking rather than removing) and running a Spyware checker (Spybot or many others out there) to make sure nothing has gotten through. In recent times I have spotted that many of the sources that originally praised Spybot are now suggesting that it's slightly outdated and that other tools (I seem to remember "Spyware Terminator" getting good reviews - but I've not used this myself to comment) have taken over due to the more pro-active nature.

It can all seem a little confusing, but it's not as bad as it seems. Once you have a decent firewall and AV setup (and switch IE for Firefox ;P) you're well on the way.

A read through the sticky, Helpful links for a clean PC, is a good starting point for picking up information.

AVG is great! I run CCleaner every now and again with it.
I fully agree that CCleaner is a great little tool, but not really* a security tool comparible to AV software.

(CCleaner can/does remove potential security risks, such as cookies, but is definatly a cleaning tool rather than a security tool)

Sorry about that, didn't mean to indicate that it was a security tool, just that I use it alongside AVG Free edition. It is a cleanup tool.

How about this

[broken link removed]

I don't know if they ship outside the US but even still a full McAfee package for $6 with free postage, if you could get it, it would be a real bargain. Any relatives or friends over there?

Murt

How about this

[broken link removed]

I don't know if they ship outside the US but even still a full McAfee package for $6 with free postage, if you could get it, it would be a real bargain. Any relatives or friends over there?

Murt

No need to pay for antivirus software or firewalls imo - plenty of freebes out there for private use..

Back