anti virus software recommend?

cmalone

Can anyone recommend a good anti-virus software? (that won't cost an arm and a leg!) for home use pc

We had free McAfee but it is now expiring and i see 3 year offer for 125 pounds sterling if i apply online.

Thanks

I use the free version of AVG Antivirus and antispam software, and its as good as any fee-based package, especially for home use.

http://free.grisoft.com/

This includes automatic updates of antivirus/spam database.

I use AVG myself as its the best free one available. If you go to Download.com it has AVG plus a host of other free software such as Adaware which is very handy..

Thanks for that info

Hope it's ok- i guess better than having no anti virus!

In any case i was about to buy the McAfee 2 hours ago... and now i'm saving- thanks a million

Another vote here for AVG Free - a great piece of software.

In all the years I have been using it I have not been infected.

No point in spending money on anything while this is around - and it updates itself on nearly a daily basis.

Hi

why you need to do that with mcafee?

Because it may clash with other programs. I understand it can be quite hard to remove also.

Your best bet is to have a look at the key post here . If you have any further problems run the search option in this forum and you may find your answers therein.

We find AVG excellent and ZoneAlarm also.

Hi why you need to do that with mcafee?

In my experience McAfee make it very difficult for you to remove the "tease ware". Especially those pop up messages.

I found that when I was trying to install AVG there were conlficts with remnants of the McAfee software not fully removed.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but as a reseller of AVG products and someone who frequently sees AVG Free in use contrary to the license agreement can I just clarify that AVG Free is licensed for single computer, non-commercial use only. If you have more than one computer or you use it for any business use then you must purchase a license. Remember that if people are not buying AVG licenses when they should, then AVG won't be around to provide AVG Free to all those single home computers. You can get a 2 year, 3 computer home license for Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Spam, LinkScanner & Firewall for €102 which is still very good value. If you need to purchase a license, send me a PM and I'll arrange one for you.

Thanks for feedback- it is for Home Use only

Much appreciated for advice- thanks everyone

A friend of mine bought [broken link removed] Anti-Virus recently. He used to run AVG Free and he said he was "amazed" as the amount of viruses CA picked up on it's first run.

A friend of mine bought [broken link removed] Anti-Virus recently. He used to run AVG Free and he said he was "amazed" as the amount of viruses CA picked up on it's first run.

AVG Free does not check things like tracking cookies so any professional product (including AVG) will find much more malware than the free edition.

Would highly recommend Kaspersky....once we uninstalled Norton's and ran Kaspersky, there was a noticeable increase in our PC's speed.

Had Norton - ditched it. Had been using the Comodo firewall so installed their free anti-virus and it completely messed up my system. I had deleted all the other anti virus software but something went horribly wrong and had to re-start in safe and edit the registry of my laptop to get it to get past the logon screen.

Then decided you get what you pay for and went for McAfee. Renewal was due this week. The suite I used was £39.99 stg which I thought was a bit much. Logged on to the .com version of the site and got the same software for $39.99. Bargain!

Back